Speculation: New GM Candidates?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
I read an excellent article about Botterils role with the Penguins. He's arranged some sticky maneuvers cap wise. When it comes time to trade, his role is to know everything about the other team from cap position to roster depth including who may be coming back from an injury that may affect depth and player availability. Unfortunately, can't find it at the moment. It may be linked above.
This one? It's dated, but delves into Botterill's role with the Pens.
“A big part of my job is giving Ray an understanding about what’s going on in the league,†Botterill says. “If he’s talking to Team X, he needs to know where they are with the [salary] cap. He needs to know if they have a player coming back from long-term injury so they’ll be looking to move a defenseman. Just making sure when he goes into these conversations with other GM’s he has a clear understanding of what their thought processes are and what their salary cap situation is.â€
“What we deal with is we’re just so tied to the cap, whereas a lot more teams are tied to budgets,†he says. “When you get to the cap, it’s hard cap numbers. You can’t call up certain players because of it. My first year [as a budget team], I didn’t even look at our own salary cap [status]. You’re just calling up the best player from the American Hockey League and let’s go on. Now it’s a ‘what’s the cap hit, how is it going to affect us?’ type of thing.â€

“I think it’s just a lot more work for those teams who are right up against the cap from Day 1. We understand that’s our decision to be close to the cap from the start of the year, but it is just more work from the standpoint that every transaction that we make has to be cap-related.â€
“You have to have that projection standpoint on five years down the road,†Botterill explains, “especially when we’re getting into contracts in the summer for defensemen who will be with us four or five years.

“You have to project who’s coming up [for free agency] and what else is going to be out there. It’s difficult to project the whole league because so many teams are now trying to lock up their young players. We try to look at who on our team is coming up and what the projection is from a salary standpoint, but in the back of our mind in all our five-year projections we understand that we have to be flexible in this and all the situations.â€
“The style of play since the lockout has completely changed from the standpoint of just the hooking and the holding and the obstruction rules,†he says. “The biggest thing I see is just you have to be able to skate. I think it’s an era now where if you have the ability to get in [quickly] on the forecheck and compete hard, you don’t even need to make that monster hit.â€

“You look at what [Penguins coach] Dan Bylsma demands, all you have to do is find a way to knock that guy off the puck just a little bit to get that separation so you get the puck. From a fan’s perspective, I love our [style].â€
“It’s not just one academic person sitting in the corner of a room spewing out numbers,†Botterill explains, “and then scouts on the other side saying ‘those numbers mean nothing to me at all’.â€

“What Ray has developed here is he wants his scouts involved with stats, but we also want input from the scouts on ‘what are your eyes seeing, what is your projection on this player?’ and that’s how we go about trying to evaluate a player. I’m going to look deeply into the stats [for a certain player] and try to figure out any trends that he has or how his stats compare to other players out on the market, but I’m also oing to rely heavily on my coaching staff and how they see his development as a player, and also the scouts on what they see from his development standpoint and who else is out there.â€

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
Its not a knock on Neil Smith. Its a knock on his consideration for the Sabres GM position. Pegula, Black and I think even LaFontaine have said repeatedly that decisions are made by committee. "There is no emperor", I believe is a direct quote. Based on the assumed reason Neil Smith had trouble on the Island makes me think he shouldn't be considered for the job.
Sorry for the delayed response. Busy weekend.

I think the NYI "decisions by committee" concept is different from the Sabres' concept, both pre- and post-Regier. No, Regier didn't make unilateral decisions, but the way things are/were handled in the Sabres front office is, generally speaking, typical. Regier was the GM and he made GM decisions, with advice and input from others to varying degrees. Wang, on the other hand, was (is?) a notoriously meddlesome owner. Many of those exist around pro sports and it can create a very toxic FO atmosphere. I think the "emperor" comment Pegula made, while directed at Regier, is more a comment on himself. He, Pegula, doesn't act like an emperor. Wang, however, certainly did. Does that mean he was 100% at fault and Smith 0%? Maybe, maybe not, I can only speculate based on what I've heard about the situation and the parties involved, but the evidence is hefty against Mr. Wang.

Don't misinterpret that as a thumbs-up for Smith. He seems like a good guy in telecasts, but he wouldn't be a GM consideration for me.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Some Good thoughts on LaFontaine and the Sabres' GM Search: Elliotte Friedman: 30 Thoughts

9. Asked about the struggles of Sabres defenceman Tyler Myers, Pat LaFontaine brought up how the New York Islanders gave up on Zdeno Chara too early. "The thing that encourages me is that [Myers has] already proven what he can do. We need to create the environment so that he has everything he needs to go back where he was ... If it's something where we've tried everything to give him that environment [yet fails], then maybe a change is what is needed." That said, Lafontaine stressed Myers will be given time under the new regime.

10. More Buffalo stuff. LaFontaine will officially begin his GM search this week, though he said the Sabres will not avoid making moves before a new hire if another team approaches him with a legit proposal for, say, Ryan Miller. Assistant GM Kevin Devine remains and LaFontaine believes the rebuilding plan already in place gives them enough intel to get things done.

11. Lafontaine's decision is going to be interesting. Do not underestimate how good this job can be. In Terry Pegula, you have an owner willing to spend money on players and scouting, and smart enough to stay out of the way and let a manager work. All of the draft picks give the new GM a blank canvas to paint as he wishes. The one caveat for some candidates might be if LaFontaine sees himself as the eventual GM. And if so, when? That might be a better fit for Rick Dudley.

12. The four reported candidates - Jim Benning, Jason Botterill, Dudley and Paul Fenton - have excellent reputations for talent evaluation, drafting and development. All have been through lengthy building periods. The first three have Buffalo connections. Dudley's passion for the Sabres was unmatched when he played for, coached and managed them. Botterill worked with team president Ted Black and consultant Ken Sawyer in Pittsburgh. LaFontaine listened to several people who recommended Fenton because of his work as assistant GM with the Nashville Predators.

13. The big question to them might be, "How long do you think this rebuild needs to take?" Like former GM Darcy Regier, LaFontaine believes the next two drafts will be essential for Buffalo. But I'm not sure be thinks the timetable needs to be as lengthy as Regier did.

Ghost of Dale Hunter

Feb 27, 2003
Buffalo
Visit site
I think a good dark horse candidate is Mark Hunter from the OHL's London Knights. Few can match the organizations success in the last 10 years on the ice and in the stands and the NHL challenge might just be appealing and free up the GM job for Dale in London.

I think the Pegula ownership and resources could be a lure to bring
Hunter out of a great situation in London. He knows the players and has been successful and does have the Stanley Cup pedigree Patty L has mentioned.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Rick Dudley did not speak to Sabres yet. If their is one place he would like to be a gm again it's in Buffalo - per Renaud Lavoie Twitter

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
I think a good dark horse candidate is Mark Hunter from the OHL's London Knights. Few can match the organizations success in the last 10 years on the ice and in the stands and the NHL challenge might just be appealing and free up the GM job for Dale in London.

I think the Pegula ownership and resources could be a lure to bring
Hunter out of a great situation in London. He knows the players and has been successful and does have the Stanley Cup pedigree Patty L has mentioned.

Isn't he an owner of that team, I can't see him leaving although no one can argue his success

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Seems to me like it's going to be Benning, Botterill, or Dudley, though there's really nothing to indicate the Sabres have interest in Dudley.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If Devine is still on board, I expect he'd handle the drafting.

I don't even mind the idea of bringing in a fresh set of eyes on the scouting side of things. But I was not impressed with Benning's results, probably even less so than Luce who I downright hated.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I don't even mind the idea of bringing in a fresh set of eyes on the scouting side of things. But I was not impressed with Benning's results, probably even less so than Luce who I downright hated.

I'd say I'm least excited at the prospect of Benning being the new GM. I'd give it time, but I'd prefer one of the alternatives, I think.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV

Benning was the scouting coordinator when the department was downsized and video scouting implemented, right? Do we know how much of a role he played in that and how much it should be factored into those drafts (though, like you, I have issues with his era as well and the extend beyond just video scouting)?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Benning was the scouting coordinator when the department was downsized and video scouting implemented, right? Do we know how much of a role he played in that and how much it should be factored into those drafts (though, like you, I have issues with his era as well and the extend beyond just video scouting)?

Benning was involved from the late '90's until the downsizing when he and the other clatch of old Sabre holdovers left (Luce, Carriere, Terry Martin). I like that Benning has a ring and has been involved in a team that was not tied to high draft position to get their Cup winning/contending teams even if the acquisition of their best player is also highly unlikely to be repeatable (namely, signing a guy like Chara as UFA).

Luce never drafted for skill in later rounds -- hell, he rarely drafted for skill in early rounds. Benning seemed to go even further down the path of safety. *shrug* It wouldn't be the same position and there will be other voices involved in scouting/drafting talent, I know. Just a concern is all...

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Its hard to really look at what a guy did as an assistant or part of a scouting department because that guy is typically following orders. I want them to hire the best guy they feel can map out his own plan for success in Buffalo.

Thats what the interview process is for, and whoever they hire I will be fine with it.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
Just to add to the Benning conversation:

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie
BUF has asked for permission to talk to BOS asst GM Jim Benning about Sabres' GM job. Permission has been granted.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Sorry did not see it was already posted, like others said, I think Devine is doing a great job with the drafts. Botterill and Fenton are still my choices. I am not as cool with Messier or a big name that has no experience

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
I think Botterill is my choice...

I like Botts or Dudley for very different reasons. With Dudley, you have the old horse with the proven track record. Should he want to retire in a few years, it gives LaFontaine an opportunity to step into the GM role should he eventually want it. With Botts, it's the opposite. He's the new guy, the cap savant, the up-and-comer that's a bit of a gamble. If he pays off, though, then you're set for years and years.

I find the other names being tossed around mostly of the "meh" category. Then again, I can only base this on what I read, see from other teams, and hear from NHL insiders. So take that with a mountain of salt.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
After pondering about it, as much as I hate the Bruins, if Benning had a big role in making that team, I would not mind that pick at all

SamuraiArt

Balso Par Big John S
Sep 17, 2013
Buffalo
I like Botts or Dudley for very different reasons. With Dudley, you have the old horse with the proven track record. Should he want to retire in a few years, it gives LaFontaine an opportunity to step into the GM role should he eventually want it. With Botts, it's the opposite. He's the new guy, the cap savant, the up-and-comer that's a bit of a gamble. If he pays off, though, then you're set for years and years.

I find the other names being tossed around mostly of the "meh" category. Then again, I can only base this on what I read, see from other teams, and hear from NHL insiders. So take that with a mountain of salt.

Many people have brought up Botterill as a cap savant but someone pointed out (and I have to agree) that we don't need a cap savant at the moment. Right now we need someone who can identify top prospects and under the radar players. In a few years when all of these deals start taking off, we will need a cap savant but not immediately.

I admire Lafontaine and I think he could be a great GM. (I'll qualify that by admitting that is only based on him as a player and person)

I also think Rick Dudley would be nuts to turn down the GM job. He's got an opportunity to change the direction of a team (his hometown team). He's got a great stable of prospects and picks as well as some veterans he can flip without anyone throwing up a fuss. No one will blame him when the team ends the year in the bottom 3. It sounds like a GM's wet dream to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad