Speculation: New GM Candidates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Basically every candidate will have some pluses and some minuses. I trust LaFontaine to make the right choice.

Given that LaFontaine is essentially a rookie in this spot, it wouldn't surprise me if he made a misstep or two, including making a bad choice for the next GM of this team.

Steve Yzerman left Detroit to be the GM in Tampa Bay. I was jealous of the Ning at the time of the hire. But, Yzerman has had some set backs during his time there.

But, he has the team in a nice spot today.

I like the hire of LaFontaine. But, I don't think he will be mistake free. I do expect him to learn from his mistakes and not repeat them, though.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Is Jeff Gorton former Bruins interim GM still in the running. I would kind of like a guy who has a good history, even if it is a small one.
He made some nice moves in a couple months, I would want to consider him if I were the Sabres.

flyingpig

Pay the Troll Toll
May 26, 2006
Pay the troll toll
Given that LaFontaine is essentially a rookie in this spot, it wouldn't surprise me if he made a misstep or two, including making a bad choice for the next GM of this team.

Steve Yzerman left Detroit to be the GM in Tampa Bay. I was jealous of the Ning at the time of the hire. But, Yzerman has had some set backs during his time there.

But, he has the team in a nice spot today.

I like the hire of LaFontaine. But, I don't think he will be mistake free. I do expect him to learn from his mistakes and not repeat them, though.

Agree completely. Stevie Y. also had the good fortune of having some of that elite talent we are still looking for. Mistakes will happen. Hopefully they will not be crucial mistakes for LaFontaine, or they could be magnified with our gutted roster.

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
I will say the things that make me most excited about Pat coming back into the organization are the relationship that he brings with the NHL front office and his world class reputation.

Overlooked by most are all of his charitable activities and humanitarian services.
He's the type of person that most people would want for a boss and bust their ass to perform up to his expectations.

That's exactly the type of person I want running the sports franchise I root for.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
I really want Messier. Talk about having three guys in the organization that know how to win, and insist on all out effort.
A stubborn will to win is something I admire and cup-winning experience is currently lacking in the organization, but for the man who will be building our franchise I want intelligence and communication skills. Messier has not shown those qualities yet.

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
Maybe I still have not forgiven Mark for his time in Vancouver, but I don't like him as a GM candidate. I think he would make a better coach than GM. I want one of those silent assistant GM's that are making a career out of making their respective teams GM's look better than they actually are.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Im the opposite... i value the "experience" factor a great deal, given our situation... a lot of these guys have cut their teeth as assistants behind teams that we already in good shape...

running this ship, needs an experienced captain... for now

im in the Dudley/Neil Smith boat... i want a guy with the experience of building a team, making the final call, executing HIS vision. I hope we bring in some awesome assistant GM guys as well, we can groom our own Botteril's and Fenton's....

Pat Lafontaine is new to the job... he needs to choose a grizzled vet to lead things.

Perhaps they follow more of the Pens model with Shero -- replacing a long-standing, well-respected but now floundering GM with a person new to the head position but with (at that point) 13 years experience in front office affairs as an assistant GM. Grizzled need not be a guy who has helmed the ship. Experienced people -- Loiselle has been around a long time in various positions -- looking to step up and perform under new leadership/management? Should make people very interested in the position and perhaps in participating as part of the staff.

Pat has said he wants hockey minds. I expect the GM to be coming in with more than just himself in tow. Is it possible they go with a younger guy like Botterill and lure Dudley to come in as AGM, a position he seems to relish? It remains to be seen, but I suspect there will be more than just one hire happening over the course from now until the draft.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Pat has said he wants hockey minds. I expect the GM to be coming in with more than just himself in tow. Is it possible they go with a younger guy like Botterill and lure Dudley to come in as AGM, a position he seems to relish? It remains to be seen, but I suspect there will be more than just one hire happening over the course from now until the draft.

Botts+Duds would be awesome.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
I like Loiselle, I like that he worked with Burke. I like Botterill. Neil Smith seems more like a put the touches a on team rather than draft develop style GM. Dudley would do well but I think he is happy in Montreal.

Botterill and Loiselle are my favorites for now

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Jim Bennings drafts were not overly impressive when he was here.

1st round picks: Kalinin, Hesiten, Kryukov, Novtony, Paille, Vanek, Stafford
2nd round picks: Peters, Kristek, Milley, Bartovic, Janik, Zigomanis, DiCaire, Roy, Thorburn, Pominville, Fabry, Funk
3rd round picks: Pandolfo, Preston, Tessier, Adams, MacArthur, Sekera

What about that Miller kid in 1999--what a waste of a pick....

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
I like Loiselle, I like that he worked with Burke. I like Botterill. Neil Smith seems more like a put the touches a on team rather than draft develop style GM. Dudley would do well but I think he is happy in Montreal.

Botterill and Loiselle are my favorites for now

Agreed with most of what you said. And I do think Dudley is happy in his current role, if the GM job being offered were any other team then Buffalo. The chance to work at home (still lives in WNY), for a HOFer in this situation might be too enticing to pass up

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
Lets Promote from within the system - Who is the GM of the Buffalo Jr. Sabres... MICHAEL PECA!!! We're gettin the band back together and its Mikey's time to shine!!!

Or maybe Duds as the GM, and Pecs as the Asst. GM....

Patty make it so :nod:

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
Lets Promote from within the system - Who is the GM of the Buffalo Jr. Sabres... MICHAEL PECA!!! We're gettin the band back together and its Mikey's time to shine!!!

Or maybe Duds as the GM, and Pecs as the Asst. GM....

Patty make it so :nod:

Then all we will need is the AGH and black and red jerseys.

Has Dudley been in a position more than 2 or 3 years?

This from Wikipedia about Neil Smith: "Smith reportedly had grown frustrated with his lack of authority on personnel and staffing decisions, as owner Charles Wang had at that time instituted a setup where decisions were made collectively by a group of advisors rather than by the General Manager alone.".

If true, that doesn't sound like a good fit here.

LaFontaine said he didn't have the experience to be the GM. To me, that means he wouldn't hire Messier because he is in the same boat.

As for Benning we've been focusing on his draft results as the AGM. If the AGM is responsible for the draft as Devine has done here, who cares really. Devine has done a fairly good job and we could just keep him in that role. I'm not fighting for Benning but I not sure his past faults are all that important considering what his new responsibilities would be. If you want to say the GM is responsible for the drafts success than you can't blame Benning for the failures of his GM.

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
This from Wikipedia about Neil Smith: "Smith reportedly had grown frustrated with his lack of authority on personnel and staffing decisions, as owner Charles Wang had at that time instituted a setup where decisions were made collectively by a group of advisors rather than by the General Manager alone.".

If true, that doesn't sound like a good fit here.
I have no interest in Neil Smith, or anyone who has been away from the day-to-day operations of a team for awhile, but I don't see how the above quote is a knock on the guy. If Wang wanted a GM by committee, he shouldn't have hired Smith. Any experienced GM would've been frustrated working under those conditions.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
So Loiselle was involved in the 2009 Anaheim draft. Maybe the 2010 as well but I'm not positive. Those were pretty good years for the Ducks and some would say when they became one of the better drafting teams in the league. But I have no clue how involved he even was. Both he and Botteril seem to be more cap management type assistants in their current role.

Digable5

Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
I have no interest in Neil Smith, or anyone who has been away from the day-to-day operations of a team for awhile, but I don't see how the above quote is a knock on the guy. If Wang wanted a GM by committee, he shouldn't have hired Smith. Any experienced GM would've been frustrated working under those conditions.

Its not a knock on Neil Smith. Its a knock on his consideration for the Sabres GM position. Pegula, Black and I think even LaFontaine have said repeatedly that decisions are made by committee. "There is no emperor", I believe is a direct quote. Based on the assumed reason Neil Smith had trouble on the Island makes me think he shouldn't be considered for the job.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
@krufrank 2h
Jason Botterill has inside trace on the Sabres GM position.
Inside trace? Is the Buffalo Sabres organization a PCB board?

Sorry that was nerdy.

LaFontaine isn't even interviewing candidates until Monday. He may have the inside track in that he's the only confirmed GM to be getting interviewed though.

Prospector74

Jul 5, 2011
Leonardtown, MD
Its not a knock on Neil Smith. Its a knock on his consideration for the Sabres GM position. Pegula, Black and I think even LaFontaine have said repeatedly that decisions are made by committee. "There is no emperor", I believe is a direct quote. Based on the assumed reason Neil Smith had trouble on the Island makes me think he shouldn't be considered for the job.

I agree with your point but I'd still talk to him to see his true thoughts around the previous NYI situation versus the current situation in Buffalo. A non-cash constrained committee that doesn't involve Wang is different from a cash constrained committee that involves Wang.

Digable5

Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
I agree with your point but I'd still talk to him to see his true thoughts around the previous NYI situation versus the current situation in Buffalo. A non-cash constrained committee that doesn't involve Wang is different from a cash constrained committee that involves Wang.

LaFontaine was there, no? Hopefully he knows best and takes what he learned about Neil Smith during that brief time and uses the information to make the right decision.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Perhaps they follow more of the Pens model with Shero -- replacing a long-standing, well-respected but now floundering GM with a person new to the head position but with (at that point) 13 years experience in front office affairs as an assistant GM. Grizzled need not be a guy who has helmed the ship. Experienced people -- Loiselle has been around a long time in various positions -- looking to step up and perform under new leadership/management? Should make people very interested in the position and perhaps in participating as part of the staff.

agreed.

im just getting antsy and nervous... it will be the most important move the franchise makes in making this whole thing work (imo)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad