Speculation: New GM Candidates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
my only concern is a wish for an older guy who knows all the players in the GM game and what their tenancies are. Frankly I want a member of the old boys club who knows where the bodies are buried to guide a newer guy from being taken for a ride.

So you want Darcy Regier. As you just described him to a T.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
New pitch for Miller to stay? He's looked awesome...we have cap room...huge PR event today...clearly not a huge market for him...hackett is a headcase so far(I thought he would be awesome...eating crow so far)...
I think it's time to let go... from the wave last season, the house up for sale and the rebuild aspect. He's gone. I think its time to give Enroth a shot.

Karate Johnson*

It would be a lateral move but if Dudey was up for it why not.

Dudley is the guy this team needs to guide the ship for the next two years/drafts. He is univerally respected in the NHL as an elite talent evaluator/team builder. Every team he goes to he helps improve. Him and Devine working the next two drafts would be golden for this organization.

If Dudley is not interested in becoming GM then it really comes down to who impresses Lafontaine the most during the interview process.

I thought I heard Dudley lives in Lewiston.... The proximity might make a lateral move appealing.

Karate Johnson*

Nope. Darcy is done running teams

He's had 16 years of building bad relationships.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
I would say one guy I'd love to see brought here would be Craig Button.

Former Calgary GM, Director of Scouting with Dallas.

The guy was born in Rochester, though not sure what that really means except he understands the WNY mentality.

The list of players drafted during his tenure include Derian Hatcher, Jere Lehtinen, Jamie Langenbrunner, Marty Turco, Jarome Iginla and Brenden Morrow.

His Calgary team did make it to Cup finals though he's made some mistakes too. Releasing martin St. Louis being one of the biggest.

I think the guy has every bit the credibility as other candidates mentioned.

@WGR550

Lafontaine on GM search: "The next GM will be someone who has great experience + knows the players who are out there in the upcoming draft"

Button knows the upcoming draft!

Clearly you are smoking drugs. Button is trash. I'd rather have Rolston as GM.

Splintered Sherwood

Oct 25, 2013
I wonder if targetting someone like Trevor Timmins would make sense? Sure, it may upset Devine - I have no idea if he has any aspirations for the GM job - but Timmins has done a decent job for the Habs as director of scouting.

He ticks off one criteria that LaFontaine has in a candidate in that he must be familiar with the draft. He has an MBA and took a course in Sports Management. Might be worth a look?

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I wonder if targetting someone like Trevor Timmins would make sense? Sure, it may upset Devine - I have no idea if he has any aspirations for the GM job - but Timmins has done a decent job for the Habs as director of scouting.

He ticks off one criteria that LaFontaine has in a candidate in that he must be familiar with the draft. He has an MBA and took a course in Sports Management. Might be worth a look?
He's the best scout in the world. He doesn't just do a decent job, he's the best. I'm sure he gets paid a very large sum of money to do so. I wonder if he is someone who wants to move up. He seems very loyal to that organization in any event.

Karate Johnson*

Bad relationships?

Lemme guess..you got this info from the same place you got your Nolan doinking Haseks wife info...huh?

I thought Hasek doubled Nolan's wife.

Maybe it was a gang bang and Dom assumed a hole was a hole, Teddy didn't like it, and it made thing awkward?

But yeah, not betting with strangers on the Internet.

I'll likely be banned before there is a resolution. Anyway.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
What about both? I have heard Dudley likes to stay behind the scenes, maybe make him Assistant GM/Director of Scouting.

Unless I missed something, that position isn't open in Buf.

Botterill would be GM job and then Dudley could take an asst GM job with the team. Or they could create a consultant position for him.

I thought I heard Dudley lives in Lewiston.... The proximity might make a lateral move appealing.

Yes Dudley lives in Lewiston which is why he would be willing to take a leteral move. My feeling this may happen more in the offseason than now.

For Botterill to leave Pittsburgh it would have to be for a GM job.

Yes he will. He'll land a job in the off-season, just like Lindy

Darcy will not get a GM job anytime soon. Will he join a team---yes---likely in some sort of scouting, draft, or prospect development role.

Its rare for a GM to get fired and land another GM job. His league wide reputation actually does hurt his value. Its usually they get fired, get an asst GM spot for a couple of years, then get another shot.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Bad relationships?

Lemme guess..you got this info from the same place you got your Nolan doinking Haseks wife info...huh?

Actually there is some merit to this.

Its not like he was the most well respected GM out there, its not like he was the birther of many NHL GMs (Chicago is one example)

Over 16 years you burn a few bridges. There were some teams who wouldnt even deal with him.

Darcy's strength was in drafting, scouting and prospect development.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

Its not like he was the most well respected GM out there, its not like he was the birther of many NHL GMs (Chicago is one example)

Over 16 years you burn a few bridges. There were some teams who wouldnt even deal with him.

No..

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY

Shaking my head.

It's all a business my friend. Hate him when you are against him, love him when he is with you.

Darcy has royally fleeced some teams in trades MULTIPLE times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad