Speculation: New GM Candidates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
I think it eventually comes down to Fenton, Dudley, and Benning

The only reason I question that is that Patty has twice now mentioned that he is looking at a guy with cups on his resume. That could be as a player or as a management member.

To the best of my knowledge that would preclude all three of those guys (Benning won one)

Perhaps the comment doesnt mean much, but if it is to be interpreted, it would preclude those guys.

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
@WGR550

Lafontaine on GM search: "The next GM will be someone who has great experience + knows the players who are out there in the upcoming draft"

@WGR550

Lafontaine said he will be interviewing GM candidates. Will need permission from some teams. Will "be on the phones today"

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
The only reason I question that is that Patty has twice now mentioned that he is looking at a guy with cups on his resume. That could be as a player or as a management member.

To the best of my knowledge that would preclude all three of those guys (Benning won one)

Perhaps the comment doesnt mean much, but if it is to be interpreted, it would preclude those guys.

I thought that the "cups" thing was in reference to just one of the guys on his shortlist, or something

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
I thought that the "cups" thing was in reference to just one of the guys on his shortlist, or something

I think you are correct. I think the context was that he needed to get permission to speak to guys, and the guy he would hire if he could has cups on his resume.

But I dont have a transcript so I could be wrong

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
The comment from Patty that sticks with me... that's he isn't ready to become GM yet, but could grow into the role. To me, that sounds like Dudley will be the candidate. Patty tutors under Rick for 3 years and then takes the reins himself.

The more I think about it... I'd like to see Brendan Shanahan become the next GM of the Sabres. At least we'll have an "in" with the NHL's executive brass.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

"@TBNbucky: 4 names for BUF GM: Jim Benning, Rick Dudley, Jason Botterill, Claude Loiselle."/Didn't PL say 1 candidate has won a Cup?

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
I would say one guy I'd love to see brought here would be Craig Button.

Former Calgary GM, Director of Scouting with Dallas.

The guy was born in Rochester, though not sure what that really means except he understands the WNY mentality.

The list of players drafted during his tenure include Derian Hatcher, Jere Lehtinen, Jamie Langenbrunner, Marty Turco, Jarome Iginla and Brenden Morrow.

His Calgary team did make it to Cup finals though he's made some mistakes too. Releasing martin St. Louis being one of the biggest.

I think the guy has every bit the credibility as other candidates mentioned.

@WGR550

Lafontaine on GM search: "The next GM will be someone who has great experience + knows the players who are out there in the upcoming draft"

Button knows the upcoming draft!

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan

The guy was born in Rochester, though not sure what that really means except he understands the WNY mentality.

The list of players drafted during his tenure include Derian Hatcher, Jere Lehtinen, Jamie Langenbrunner, Marty Turco, Jarome Iginla and Brenden Morrow.

His Calgary team did make it to Cup finals though he's made some mistakes too. Releasing martin St. Louis being one of the biggest.

@WGR550

No. That is all.

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey

@WGR550

For the love of god, no. I can't stand him.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC

@WGR550

Do you want to kill all the good will earned? This would be the world's biggest buzzkill.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
Botterill is fine with me.

Makes a lot of sense: Pittsburgh ties, up-and-comer, former Sabre.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Sounds a lot like Dudley. The guy loves to go and watch Hockey games.

In another interview he specifically says he wants to find the next up and coming Gm.

Experience can mean so many things. If experience means someone who has done the job before then that would mean something.

I think its Botterill because of knowledge of the cap, contracts, and also draft and pro scouting.

LGBuffalo

Jan 9, 2011
E PA
I am all-in with Botterill and Dudley. It seems like one of those two guys would be the most logical choice in terms of connections and organizational needs at this point.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Custance weighing in below. Essentially, he starts by mentioning Dudley because Dudley can sit in the GM's chair for a few years while Lafontaine learns the job. But, in the event that they go a different route, here were his top-5 plus a wild card:

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/craig-custance/post?id=515

(Insider paywall)

1. Claude Loiselle, Toronto Maple Leafs. In ranking candidates, we'll defer to Dallas Stars GM Jim Nill. For years, he was always the best available assistant GM, and has already made an impact on the Stars. It was a great hire by ownership in Dallas. So when I recently asked him which assistant GM in the league he thought was most ready to run his own team, he immediately identified Loiselle.

2. Jason Botterill, Pittsburgh Penguins. Hires are often made because of connections in the past, and there's plenty connecting Botterill to the Sabres. He played parts of two seasons with the Sabres, went back and earned his MBA from the University of Michigan after his playing career was done, and spent time in the NHL working with central registry. Sabres president Ted Black worked for the Penguins, so there's another connection there. According to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review the Penguins wouldn't stand in the way of Botterill leaving to take the job in Buffalo.

3. Laurence Gilman, Vancouver Canucks. Vancouver GM Mike Gillis can be a polarizing figure, but you can't ignore the sustained success the Canucks have had under the current management team. This season was supposed to be the one that showed major signs of a decline in Vancouver, and yet the Canucks are right in the playoff mix in the NHL's toughest division. Gilman is chief negotiator of all contracts, and heads up amateur scouting for the Canucks.

His finest work comes in cap management, something the Sabres could use considering some of the ugly contracts on the books in Buffalo. Gilman's most recent deal with the Sedins was just the latest one he did that came in under market value, at $7 million per season. He's got an Olympic forward in Ryan Kesler locked up at $5 million per season. And in a time when defensemen are at a premium, the Canucks defense is very reasonably priced: Alexander Edler ($5 million per season), Kevin Bieksa ($4.6 million), Jason Garrison ($4.6 million), Dan Hamhuis ($4.5 million). Tyler Myers makes more per season than all of them.

The others were Coyotes AGM Brad Treliving, Preds AGM Paul Fenton, and CBJ AGM Bill Zito, the former agent--Custance notes that Gillis, Burke, and Chiarelli were all former agents before becoming GM.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Sorry...but you have to include Dudley...He was the GM that built the Tampa Bay team that won in 2004. He was an asst GM in chicago during their build up tot heir first cup win

Last edited:

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I am all-in with Botterill and Dudley. It seems like one of those two guys would be the most logical choice in terms of connections and organizational needs at this point.

What about both? I have heard Dudley likes to stay behind the scenes, maybe make him Assistant GM/Director of Scouting.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
What about both? I have heard Dudley likes to stay behind the scenes, maybe make him Assistant GM/Director of Scouting.

It would be a lateral move but if Dudey was up for it why not.

Dudley is the guy this team needs to guide the ship for the next two years/drafts. He is univerally respected in the NHL as an elite talent evaluator/team builder. Every team he goes to he helps improve. Him and Devine working the next two drafts would be golden for this organization.

If Dudley is not interested in becoming GM then it really comes down to who impresses Lafontaine the most during the interview process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad