Not open for further replies.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
gotta have GM named by the Olympic break so you have time to prep and shop before the trade deadline, Id imagine by the first the short list has all been interviewed

Did Pat give a sense of his timeline today? I'd be dismayed if we were waiting until after the Olympic break to even have the guy on staff who we'd ideally like making moves for us.

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Did Pat give a sense of his timeline today? I'd be dismayed if we were waiting until after the Olympic break to even have the guy on staff who we'd ideally like making moves for us.

He didn't really imply a timeline that I heard. It's a reasonably fair guess that they'd want the GM installed with plenty of time to spare prepping for the deadline but seeing as how the entire front office sans Regier is still there, it's not really as big a deal as people assume imo. It's far more important to get the right guy than it is to have that guy there in time for the deadline. The decisions they have to make aren't even that big, not like they would have been if we hadn't already traded Vanek.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
He didn't really imply a timeline that I heard. It's a reasonably fair guess that they'd want the GM installed with plenty of time to spare prepping for the deadline but seeing as how the entire front office sans Regier is still there, it's not really as big a deal as people assume imo. It's far more important to get the right guy than it is to have that guy there in time for the deadline. The decisions they have to make aren't even that big, not like they would have been if we hadn't already traded Vanek.

Miller's not as big a decision as Vanek?

Miller's a bigger decision than Vanek, IMO, because a fool could move Vanek at the deadline for something reasonable. Same will likely be true of Ott and Moulson. But Miller will take the right fit.

Prospector74

Jul 5, 2011
Leonardtown, MD

Miller's a bigger decision than Vanek, IMO, because a fool could move Vanek at the deadline for something reasonable. Same will likely be true of Ott and Moulson. But Miller will take the right fit.

Yeah but we got rid of Vanek for a good return before the annual UBI. That was a good thing.

Miller is what Miller is. We may or may not get good value for him. I've come to grips with that and consider any return good - whatever the market bears. Vanek was the trade chip I was worried about.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Yeah but we got rid of Vanek for a good return before the annual UBI. That was a good thing.

Miller is what Miller is. We may or may not get good value for him. I've come to grips with that and consider any return good - whatever the market bears. Vanek was the trade chip I was worried about.

If Miller can win us a few extra games throughout the season (and he's playing like he can), you have to figure a few draft slots extra is effectively part of the return for him.

And that's pretty damned valuable even if you get tiddlywinks for him otherwise.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
New pitch for Miller to stay? He's looked awesome...we have cap room...huge PR event today...clearly not a huge market for him...hackett is a headcase so far(I thought he would be awesome...eating crow so far)...

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
New pitch for Miller to stay? He's looked awesome...we have cap room...huge PR event today...clearly not a huge market for him...hackett is a headcase so far(I thought he would be awesome...eating crow so far)...

Is Miller really going to make the likely most unattractive move for his career possible because we had a PR event? Everyone still endorses the tank.

Team Overrated

Aug 5, 2013
I'll do it. I always know what the coach should have done and who I would have drafted and who I would have traded. I also know what i would have done in any given situation in the game.

Last edited:

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Is Miller really going to make the likely most unattractive move for his career possible because we had a PR event? Everyone still endorses the tank.

Who is gonna be able to offer him more on the market? He's not going to Cali like people keep pitching...semi-realistic options:Calgary, Colorado, Edmonton, Wild(not if they want vanek), Islanders, Philly(though they are high on Mason), Tampa, Winnipeg....none of those teams are head and shoulders more appealing than staying here...

again I'm outside the box but be realistic any other team that I haven't listed needs to move a decent goalie to make room for Miller...and how many of those do you think are on his NTC list?

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011

Care to pass some of that crow this way? I figured a 60/40 split for the next two years. Boy was I wrong. However time will tell.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Care to pass some of that crow this way? I figured a 60/40 split for the next two years. Boy was I wrong. However time will tell.

Only prayer thus far(and the year is young) is that his poor attitude is that he knows hes NHL ready and is mad to be in rochester on a garbage franchise...again if thats his attitude when the throne could be his leaves something to be desired too...

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

Miller's not as big a decision because he's not worth nearly as much. It's not like trading him takes some level of genius. If he's walking, you have to trade him. If you have to trade him, you take the best offer that a team is willing to make.

Sean McG

Dec 27, 2009
Niagara on the Lake, ON
The Botterill interview is really good news... I was wondering what LaFontaine's timeline was and in Brian Duff's interview he asked what the timeline would be on adding hockey operations staff. He said it would depend on teams letting them speak to their personnel and whether the opportunity would be right for those people. If permission has already been granted for Botterill, safe to safe he's been a target for Ted Black and Ken Sawyer from their Pittsburgh days, and also must be on LaFontaine's shortlist.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Miller's not as big a decision because he's not worth nearly as much. It's not like trading him takes some level of genius. If he's walking, you have to trade him. If you have to trade him, you take the best offer that a team is willing to make.

How is that different from Vanek? Just that Vanek got you more assets? I still think that means its harder to find a destination for Miller.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
The Botterill interview is really good news... I was wondering what LaFontaine's timeline was and in Brian Duff's interview he asked what the timeline would be on adding hockey operations staff. He said it would depend on teams letting them speak to their personnel and whether the opportunity would be right for those people. If permission has already been granted for Botterill, safe to safe he's been a target for Ted Black and Ken Sawyer from their Pittsburgh days, and also must be on LaFontaine's shortlist.

my only concern is a wish for an older guy who knows all the players in the GM game and what their tenancies are. Frankly I want a member of the old boys club who knows where the bodies are buried to guide a newer guy from being taken for a ride.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Awesome. He's the big name as an up and comer. Couldn't criticize that hire

Amongst the group of guys with 0 NHL GM experience, Botts is as good a pick as any.

Hextall is right there with him, IMO.

I expect an experienced GM like Neil Smith to get the job. But, I wouldn't be upset with Botterill or Hextall getting the job.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://www.buffalonews.com/columns/...n-must-rebuild-bridges-regier-burned-20131113

It’s true for players and prospective GMs. Is this where I mention that Rick Dudley lives in Lewiston? The Bruins have a good man in former Sabres scout Jim Benning. Jason Botterill is considered a top young executive. Claude Loiselle has a good reputation in Toronto. Neil Smith’s name is out there, but that’s unlikely.

Bucky doesn't think that Neil Smith is likely.

I'll give that more weight than I would have 24 hrs ago.

:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad