Speculation: New GM Candidates?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Just to add to the Benning conversation:

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie
BUF has asked for permission to talk to BOS asst GM Jim Benning about Sabres' GM job. Permission has been granted.

SABRES GRANTED PERMISSION TO SPEAK TO BENNING ABOUT GM JOB

Add another name to the list of potential general managers for the Buffalo Sabres.

According to TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie, the Sabres have received permission to speak to Boston Bruins assistant general manager Jim Benning about their vacant GM position.

Buffalo created a stir last Wednesday by firing general manager Darcy Regier and head coach Ron Rolston. They subsequently hired Pat LaFontaine as their new president of hockey operations and also named Ted Nolan as interim head coach - his second time as bench boss of the team.

jimbenning_3925-218x150.jpg

WNY to NoVA

May 16, 2011
its just refreshing to see a serious decision taken seriously and not a repeat of the ron rol hiring

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
OK I know this might sound incredibly stupid to be doing, but I want to see what you guys think.
When his name comes up I remembered watching a Bruins behind the scenes, where the management discussed letting ference go and trading seguin. While they showed only bits of this, I decided to go back and re-watch it it to see if Benning was in it at all.

Watch the video (its basically from the 3min mark to the 6:30 min mark) and let me know what you think. I know you can't judge a guy on a few minutes of behind the scenes footage, but he doesn't seem like a guy I wan't as our GM.

Again, I know it sounds ridiculous, but watch the video first and then let me know what you think.

Last edited by a moderator:

BotterilltheScrivner

Jan 23, 2010
NYC
OK I know this might sound incredibly stupid to be doing, but I want to see what you guys think.
When his name comes up I remembered watching a Bruins behind the scenes, where the management discussed letting ference go and trading seguin. While they showed only bits of this, I decided to go back and re-watch it it to see if Benning was in it at all.

Watch the video (its basically from the 3min mark to the 6:30 min mark) and let me know what you think. I know you can't judge a guy on a few minutes of behind the scenes footage, but he doesn't seem like a guy I wan't as our GM.

Again, I know it sounds ridiculous, but watch the video first and then let me know what you think.

Yea, there's not a lot there, but what I did see wasn't impressive. Didn't seem like there was a ton of deep thought going on there for him.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
INSIDER TRADING: SABRES' GM SEARCH, TRADE TALK, AND MORE

Bob McKenzie: The Buffalo Sabres have asked for permission from the Boston Bruins to talk to assistant manager Jim Benning about the vacant Sabres' GM job and the permission has been granted. I'm also hearing that Lafontaine's profile for the job is that he's looking for young assistant GM types throughout the NHL. We've heard Jason Botterill's name in Pittsburgh, Brad Treliving's name in Phoenix, Paul Fenton's name in Nashville.

That might mean a guy like Rick Dudley, who's been a GM in the NHL before doesn't necessarily fit the profile of what Buffalo is currently looking for.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Not crazy about Benning. We made some pretty bad draft picks while he was our director of amateur scouting. For the handful of nice picks we made: Vanek, Pommers, Roy, etc. There was a whole lot of misses: Heisten, Bartovic, Kruykov, Kalinin, Novotny.

billsandsabres

lurking
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
troy, ny
granted it was a team produced video, but Benning couldn't have come off more underwhelming than he did in that 3 minute clip. zero charisma or insight. if that is any indication of his true persona and approach, he would make an absolutely disastrous choice.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
To "is the answer Jesus" Probably. Certainly someone who can work miracles.....

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
You can't help but want to punch Benning in the face. I don't want a GM that breast feeds his children when they're 8 years old like Regier but Benning showed zero regard for Tyler Seguin as human being there. Chiarelli couldn't wait to change the subject on that one as the guys around continue to mallet a 21 year old like a piece of meat.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
You can't help but want to punch Benning in the face. I don't want a GM that breast feeds his children when they're 8 years old like Regier but Benning showed zero regard for Tyler Seguin as human being there. Chiarelli couldn't wait to change the subject on that one as the guys around continue to mallet a 21 year old like a piece of meat.

wow :shakehead to the refrences, to the opinions, the entire post

yes I certainly want to punch him in the face, zero regard as a human being? wow, just wow. You never see Chiarelli's reaction they cut the scene and jump to another part of the video. Continue to mallet a 21 yr old like a piece of meat? The worst thing said was "we are about winning not babysitting." Other than that the only comments made were "its about knowing when to move on", that entire scene summarizes everything we want to change with a new GM. He's willing to give up on a player thats not part of the winning formula, hes not married to older players, he identifies the core and holds them together everyone else is expendable. Outside of wanting to hit him in the face he sounds like exactly what you would want for this team.

I don't need to love the GM, I just need to know he's willing to do anything to put a winner together. Let Pegula worry about treating people like a human. Isn't that what the locker rooms for?

edit: Ha, just saw the second part. That staff doesn't have a very high opinion of Seguin. "Not willing to pay the price." Sounds like some players on the Sabres over the last decade. Stand by my opinion though. If Darcy had that kind of attitude and that team around him then we trade D Roy when hes .8ppg top 2 center and get a boat load instead of Ott and a pick.

Last edited:

internet toughguy

Dec 16, 2009
Richmond, VA
While watching Sportsnet's EDM/CBJ intermission report, in addition to Botterill, Dudley, and Benning they also mentioned Claude Loiselle from TOR. Haven't seen his named mentioned yet

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
INSIDER TRADING: SABRES' GM SEARCH, TRADE TALK, AND MORE

Bob McKenzie: The Buffalo Sabres have asked for permission from the Boston Bruins to talk to assistant manager Jim Benning about the vacant Sabres' GM job and the permission has been granted. I'm also hearing that Lafontaine's profile for the job is that he's looking for young assistant GM types throughout the NHL. We've heard Jason Botterill's name in Pittsburgh, Brad Treliving's name in Phoenix, Paul Fenton's name in Nashville.

That might mean a guy like Rick Dudley, who's been a GM in the NHL before doesn't necessarily fit the profile of what Buffalo is currently looking for.
Was going to come in here and mention Brad Treliving. He is Don Maloney's apprentice. Similar to the Botterills, Bennings, Fentons.
Claude Loiselle is growing on me, here is a good read http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/07/09/loiselle-brings-on-ice-approach-to-leafs-front-office/

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
I don't want Treliving, heir to the Boston Pizza empire, as our GM.

Boston Pizza is ass.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

I didn't recognize Adam Creighton.

:laugh:

The conversation about Seguin and when PC found out that Horton was gone was really cool insight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad