Speculation: New GM Candidates?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
Botterill is qualified and if you fall in love at first sight then why keep looking?
Because maybe Botterill is great and knocks your socks off, but Fenton (or whoever) comes in and completely blows you away. And if he and the rest don't, then you hire Botterill. There's no time crunch I'm aware of, like other teams in hot pursuit, which would change things.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
How long do you guys think it takes to interview 5-7 candidates? He could do it in a week easily.

I've seen organizations take a month to decide on the right person for a position. Heck, I'm just finishing up week three of interviews with a job. Mine was, conversation with headhunter, initial screening, first interview, interview with other stakeholders, interview with execs, interview with CEO. Most of this interview process is the likes of "what do you think about X?" and scenarios.

I would expect two round of interviews. The Org already knows who is qualified so you can jump to the interviews with Patty. After that I'm pretty sure they will go back and reassess. Patty very may bring Devine, Black, or others who the new GM has to work with into the decision process. Then ask a few follow up questions before making a final decision.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It depends on if the the guy you hand the job is qualified or not. Rolston was not qualified. Botterill is qualified and if you fall in love at first sight then why keep looking?

To actually BE thorough instead of giving lip-service to being thorough? This team is at an appex for the franchise that they have not been at probably since Punch came aboard before they even had skates on the ice. This isn't something to take lightly and if they do simply jump in bed with the first candidate without any further consideration, I would be concerned that they're not actually doing this in a professional manner.

Kenfury's assessment of how professionals actually conduct themselves is an important consideration. This isn't hooking up at a bar, it's about the on-ice viability of a multi-million dollar hockey operation. Take some time and do it right.

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
Botterill does sound like the perfect candidate, cup + history with the team + history with Black + history of tanking = tank commander

boots electric

Mar 12, 2008
I'd be very happy with Fenton or Botterill. Bonus points if they can bring Dudley in for some other position as well

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I agree to an extent. Yes, they do need to let the full process play out as you said, but at the same time they can't get so patient that a new guy comes in without enough time to fully evaluate the roster here, the roster in Rochester, contracts, cap issues (probably more floor in this case), pipeline prospects, scouted prospects, etc. Some decisions need to be made sooner than later, and the incoming will need plenty of time to evaluate everything. But still, that shouldn't stop them from exercising due diligence as mentioned. Too many good candidates out there.

I'm going to guess that all the candidates are doing their own homework on the Sabres, so that they can hit the ground running if they get the job.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
To actually BE thorough instead of giving lip-service to being thorough? This team is at an appex for the franchise that they have not been at probably since Punch came aboard before they even had skates on the ice. This isn't something to take lightly and if they do simply jump in bed with the first candidate without any further consideration, I would be concerned that they're not actually doing this in a professional manner.

Kenfury's assessment of how professionals actually conduct themselves is an important consideration. This isn't hooking up at a bar, it's about the on-ice viability of a multi-million dollar hockey operation. Take some time and do it right.

I think its a lot like choosing a wife or something. Look for someone that just feels right, why keep looking if you already found it?

I think you go into an interview looking for something, so if you find that something on the 1st interview why go any further? the key though is to have a plan. If a GM is qualified, lays out a plan identical to your plan, and you also feel like its someone you can work with then write up the contract.

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I think you go into an interview looking for something, so if you find that something on the 1st interview why go any further? the key though is to have a plan. If a GM is qualified, lays out a plan identical to your plan, and you also feel like its someone you can work with then write up the contract.

You don't have to, but if you don't continue with the process then you can't say you've done your due diligence, because you quite simply have not. There's no good reason not to continue the interviews. There are no other GM vacancies, you won't lose out on a candidate. The extra week or two wait will have no reasonable negative effect on what the GM will be able to do by the trade deadline.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I think its a lot like choosing a wife or something. Look for someone that just feels right, why keep looking if you already found it?

Nah, my wife totally understood the process. She was ecstatic to find out that she made the cut after extended interviews with other women, over the course of a year or so.

It was exactly like what someone else mentioned - initial screening, formal interview, follow-up interview...or maybe we called it "1st, 2nd, and 3rd base". Ahh, I forget but it was something real close to that.

Every now and then I threaten her with her job security, just to keep her at top production. But then again, I found some resumes in her desk drawer that were ready to be sent out...

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
In addition to the above responses, while you may find a seemingly perfect candidate whose plans are identical, what about the possibility that other candidates match that plan as well? What about match that plan, plus have other ideas you never thought of in your capacity as President with admittedly little experience (speaking of LaFontaine)? Or, what about a guy who comes in with a radical or simply better plan you never thought of, but makes complete and total sense? Etc. You never know what these candidates have to offer, and if they don't offer any of that stuff, fine, go with your initial interviewee, but you still go through the process.

flyingpig

Pay the Troll Toll
May 26, 2006
Pay the troll toll

And that is what Darcy did with Rolston.. No thank you.

You have an OBLIGATION, to your employer, and here to your fans, to find the best option available (within the constraints that you are confronted with). Explore your options over a week or two and make an educated decision. Even better, none of the candidates have other similar opportunities elsewhere right now. They have either their current position or a promotion to your company.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
And that is what Darcy did with Rolston.. No thank you.

You have an OBLIGATION, to your employer, and here to your fans, to find the best option available (within the constraints that you are confronted with). Explore your options over a week or two and make an educated decision. Even better, none of the candidates have other similar opportunities elsewhere right now. They have either their current position or a promotion to your company.

I dont believe that and even Darcy said Roslton was not his plan. Darcy did exactly the opposite of what I said.

You make a plan and find the guy that fits the plan. No reason to go further. The guy has to fit all criteria, you dont make exceptions.

Anyways, Im pretty sure they haven't found their perfect GM yet since no one is hired.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011

To use your wife analogy, did you marry on the first date? No, you probably dated for a while, discarded some who looked good on the first date but then found something that was not right or found someone who you clicked with. You probably even moved in with someone for a while then realized you could not live with them for a myriad of reasons. Then you found someone who was to be your wife, met her friends, family etc.. and made an assessment of your future off that. Same here. We are playing the field before making a rash decision that will lead to problems down the road.

sabregoat

Sep 22, 2005
Hamburg, NY
To use your wife analogy, did you marry on the first date? No, you probably dated for a while, discarded some who looked good on the first date but then found something that was not right or found someone who you clicked with. You probably even moved in with someone for a while then realized you could not live with them for a myriad of reasons. Then you found someone who was to be your wife, met her friends, family etc.. and made an assessment of your future off that. Same here. We are playing the field before making a rash decision that will lead to problems down the road.

And if you use that analogy with the hiring of Rolston:

Darcy was out at a bar, got hammered, saw that beauty in the corner, and said I am in love. Next morning was a whole differnet story.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas

Are you going to put a cap on how long you're going to look for your wife? Good luck with that plan if you do. If the Sabres are currently in the courting process, then hiring someone now would essentially be like asking a girl to marry you on the first date when you have 2-3 dates planned with other great sounding girls later this week. It's not a race.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Does our next GM get to take half of the team with him when he moves on to the team with the bigger... opportunities?

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Are you going to put a cap on how long you're going to look for your wife? Good luck with that plan if you do. If the Sabres are currently in the courting process, then hiring someone now would essentially be like asking a girl to marry you on the first date when you have 2-3 dates planned with other great sounding girls later this week. It's not a race.

If only every women you met had a resume of their entire private life.

The wife analogy was simply if you know its right, why keep looking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad