Speculation: New GM Candidates?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Any further reports on ETA?

Hopefully soon. They guy has mounds of work to do. Just wasn't a good time to fire Darcy, plain and simple. He recent trades have been awesome and that is all he had left to do and then you could have let him go.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Hopefully soon. They guy has mounds of work to do. Just wasn't a good time to fire Darcy, plain and simple. He recent trades have been awesome and that is all he had left to do and then you could have let him go.

As long as they have a new GM in place by the new year, it's fine.

There really isn't too much pressing to do right now.

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Result is all that matters.

This "process" just reassures people (who aren't in the know) and makes people think you're doing your job.

End of the day you either hire the right person or you don't and you will be judged accordingly based on that...not on a subjective ideal of someones process in obtaining that result. Everyone goes about various situations/tasks differently...and to say this-this-this and this need to be done this-this-this and this particular way or else you're doing it wrong is silly.

Results are all that matter if you believe in luck and terrible management. Good management means using processes that increases the likelihood and reproducibility of positive results. Starting an NFL game off with an on-side kick is bad management, even if you recover the kick.

There is simply no reason not to interview as many worthwhile candidates as are available. I can't believe people are actually making these arguments.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Results are all that matter if you believe in luck and terrible management. Good management means using processes that increases the likelihood and reproducibility of positive results. Starting an NFL game off with an on-side kick is bad management, even if you recover the kick.

There is simply no reason not to interview as many worthwhile candidates as are available. I can't believe people are actually making these arguments.

You're acting like I'm saying it's a bad thing if they do. I'm saying it does not equate to bad management if they don't ... If I know who I want and what a person is going to bring to whatever organization I'm running .. it is not automatically bad management.

I can't even believe there is an argument about this myself.... This happens all the time in both Sports and regular business Hell Pegula did it with Patty..Patty did it with Teddy.. Sometimes you fail and sometimes you succeed...same as when you conduct an exhaustive search..sometimes you fail sometimes you succeed. If you have some concrete numbers you're able to provide like they can with onside kicks i might take that thought process into consideration.

Personally I don't care how he goes about it as long as he gets who he was shooting for.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
You're acting like I'm saying it's a bad thing if they do. I'm saying it does not equate to bad management if they don't ... If I know who I want and what a person is going to bring to whatever organization I'm running .. it is not automatically bad management.

I can't even believe there is an argument about this myself.... This happens all the time in both Sports and regular business Hell Pegula did it with Patty..Patty did it with Teddy.. Sometimes you fail and sometimes you succeed...same as when you conduct an exhaustive search..sometimes you fail sometimes you succeed. If you have some concrete numbers you're able to provide like they can with onside kicks i might take that thought process into consideration.

Personally I don't care how he goes about it as long as he gets who he was shooting for.

Pegula as far as we know did not search before hiring Pat and it wasn't good management, even if the hire itself was good (which very much remains to be seen). Pegula's basis for hiring Pat is almost embarrassing actually based on what we know.

Pat bringing in Nolan is another story. It makes perfect sense for him to bring in someone he has a relationship with who'd be glad of the job and is a quality motivator, being that it's just an interim job.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Pegula as far as we know did not search before hiring Pat and it wasn't good management, even if the hire itself was good (which very much remains to be seen). Pegula's basis for hiring Pat is almost embarrassing actually based on what we know.

Pat bringing in Nolan is another story. It makes perfect sense for him to bring in someone he has a relationship with who'd be glad of the job and is a quality motivator, being that it's just an interim job.

Yeah.. we're not going to agree on this...we're just going to go around in circles.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA

Sometimes opportunities present themselves that you hadn't planned. Successful business people know how to pounce on opportunities when they arrive. I don't have a problem with Pegula hiring LaFontaine as he did. Patty is a great guy to bring back into the organization, and if you don't act quickly, he might wind up being unavailable later.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
At this point I am so ecstatic that D'arse is gone I could almost careless who is the new GM.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
At this point I am so ecstatic that D'arse is gone I could almost careless who is the new GM.

I'm sorry to disagree but this is one of the time you should care the most. We are at a crossroads for the org. This needs to be done right else we go down either the Rags "buy all the things" or Isles "lack of leadership" roads. Instead they need to go down the 'Hawks "we have a vision" path.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
This is so incredibly out of touch with how business is done it's laughable.

Whatever you say, Forbes

Yeah.. we're not going to agree on this...we're just going to go around in circles.

Sometimes opportunities present themselves that you hadn't planned. Successful business people know how to pounce on opportunities when they arrive. I don't have a problem with Pegula hiring LaFontaine as he did. Patty is a great guy to bring back into the organization, and if you don't act quickly, he might wind up being unavailable later.

It doesn't matter as much with LaFontaine, because his job isn't one of expertise. His job is to manage people and other vague things. It's OK that Pegula said "hey I believe in this guy", but it's not something to point to as the way of doing things. With a GM, that's clearly not how you do it. The GM position is far more important and one that requires practical knowledge and expertise in how the league works, how teams are built, and how assets are managed.

HometownHockey

Buffalo Sabres GM search taking shape

Buffalo Sabres GM search taking shape

Lafontaine_Pat_L.jpg

http://www.ourhometown.ca/hockey/HH0354.php

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
Whatever you say, Forbes

It doesn't matter as much with LaFontaine, because his job isn't one of expertise. His job is to manage people and other vague things. It's OK that Pegula said "hey I believe in this guy", but it's not something to point to as the way of doing things. With a GM, that's clearly not how you do it. The GM position is far more important and one that requires practical knowledge and expertise in how the league works, how teams are built, and how assets are managed.

I agree,

Though, if you have an idiot at the top it doesn't matter what process you put in place. The best thing Peg's could have done would have been to bring in two people...Patty for the "customer facing" side of the operation and another more experienced COO type who could establish strong criteria of what this teams needs in a gm after a thorough internal interview process with all the key staff members in the organization. Then go out and find a gm...Of course timing is a huge issue as this is happening mid season and the Sabres have asset decisions they will need to make shortly.

I'm not sure Ted Black or Laffy have the skill set of a savvy COO...at least as it pertains to this team and its needs. Maybe I am wrong...but what I have seen so far seems to whisper to me that there is no concrete plan...only a lot of gut feel with a very high level plan. They need a COO who can bring in a gm and work to build a more refined plan that the organization as a whole can agree to and move forward with. A major step in the right direction would have been to sit down for two/three weeks and internally hash out the skill set they require for a future gm...not flying around the country almost immediately after being hired interviewing people.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Freidman said Buffalo has interviewed Fenton..

Also thinks some guy in Phoenix is on the list...couldnt make out the name tho

Edit: AGM Brad Treliving from Phoenix

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006

Brad Treliving was a guy I was going to bring up. Fits right in with everyone else.

Probably going to come down to the 4 up and comming GM's, Botterill, Benning, Fenton, and Treliving.

Great group to pick from. Fenton has grown on me, I love how excited he sounds whenever he talks hockey, plus he was begging for the job. Fenton just seems like a GM players would want to play for.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Whatever you say, Forbes

I agree with you. And I don't think I said anything to contradict that.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006

Well, Wang did the same thing on the Island bringing in Garth Snow as GM... :sarcasm:

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I'm fairly sure that Friedman meant that Buffalo had interviewed Botterill a while ago and met with Benning earlier in the week. I think Fenton was a slip of the tongue because of all of the talk about Fenton reaching out to Buffalo two days ago. I'd be shocked if Fenton was interviewed the day after he said he hasn't been contacted by Buffalo yet.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
That should make the people happy that want a thorough interview process. Sounds like Patty may interview a lot more candidates then the ones we have heard.

My feeling based on what Patty said the first couple days is that I'd be surprised if they didn't interview about 5 guys. Fenton, Botterill, Treliving, and Benning make four fairly experienced AGM's. Throw in another candidate or two (possibly a more experienced guy, possibly a less experienced guy), and they'd have cast a wide net.

Benning interests me the least of those guys.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
My feeling based on what Patty said the first couple days is that I'd be surprised if they didn't interview about 5 guys. Fenton, Botterill, Treliving, and Benning make four fairly experienced AGM's. Throw in another candidate or two (possibly a more experienced guy, possibly a less experienced guy), and they'd have cast a wide net.
Ron Rolston knows as much about being the GM of an NHL team as he did coaching one when we hired him. Maybe a dark horse?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Treliving isnt a surprise. He was one of about 9 Asst GMs around the league that could be candidates for an interview. He is from Phoenix, and the others are from Nashville, Boston, Pittsburgh, Montreal, Chicago, Ottawa, San Jose, and IIRC Tampa Bay.

I can't find where friedman says we interviewed...only that he believes he's on the list

It was on HNIC hot stove segment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad