Speculation: New GM Candidates?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Not sure if this quote is out there already...but..

John Vogl ‏@BuffNewsVogl 10m

Predators Assistant GM Paul Fenton on Sabres' GM job: "There's no question I would love to get an opportunity to talk to them."

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I think I'd prefer Fenton if we decide on a younger guy.

I'm wary of the high prestige being bestowed on Botterill.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
If only every women you met had a resume of their entire private life.

The wife analogy was simply if you know its right, why keep looking?

Which is why it's a bad analogy. You don't line up a number of candidates and then carry through the process because the first guy sounded good. That's horrible management.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Which is why it's a bad analogy. You don't line up a number of candidates and then carry through the process because the first guy sounded good. That's horrible management.

It's only horrible management if you're wrong.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Fenton is clearly a guy who has paid his dues. It'd be a shame if he wasn't at least given an interview.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
No it isn't. You can still approach the process incorrectly, even if the choice turns out to be right.

Result is all that matters.

This "process" just reassures people (who aren't in the know) and makes people think you're doing your job.

End of the day you either hire the right person or you don't and you will be judged accordingly based on that...not on a subjective ideal of someones process in obtaining that result. Everyone goes about various situations/tasks differently...and to say this-this-this and this need to be done this-this-this and this particular way or else you're doing it wrong is silly.

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
I'm sure all of these guys want badly to become the next GM of the Sabres.

1) Owner with lots of money who wants to win
2) Lots of good young talent in the system
3) No real expectations to win anything for at least another season and a half
4) Some nice tradeable assets to make a splash with this season
5) Lots of draft picks for the next two drafts

but then again...there are those third jerseys....

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
I'm sure all of these guys want badly to become the next GM of the Sabres.

I hope you aren't being sarcastic. It's difficult to tell. I guarantee all of these guys being discussed want it really bad. There's only 30 of these jobs in the world.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I hope you aren't being sarcastic. It's difficult to tell. I guarantee all of these guys being discussed want it really bad. There's only 30 of these jobs in the world.

Maybe 10 that have owners willing to spend anything.

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009

I don't think he was...there are a lot of peaks for whoever lands this job. Plus, it's a chance to sit in the big chair.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
Kevin Oklobzija @kevinoDandC
#Sabres pres. of hockey operations Pat LaFontaine said he has conducted at least one interview with GM candidate. Wouldn't reveal name(s).

Least helpful tweet of all time. :laugh:

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
Kevin Oklobzija @kevinoDandC
Pat LaFontaine also said he has "probably added some candidates" to his original list of potential GMs (read Paul Fenton?).

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Kevin Oklobzija ‏@kevinoDandC 4m

Pat LaFontaine also said he did consume food items early this morning that could be "considered" a type of breakfast, but he wouldn't give specifics.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
Botterill is very clearly the guy they interviewed thus far.

Botterill or Benning based on the fact they asked permission to speak with both. Given that Botterill was in Rochester this week with the Baby Pens, though, I'd say you're more than likely right.

This should be an open process. Write a six-page plan for the Sabres and post it to HFBoards for posters to vote and decide. Whoever uses "suffering" the least amount of times and makes tanking sound the most fun wins :laugh:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I dont believe that and even Darcy said Roslton was not his plan. Darcy did exactly the opposite of what I said.

You make a plan and find the guy that fits the plan. No reason to go further. The guy has to fit all criteria, you dont make exceptions.

Anyways, Im pretty sure they haven't found their perfect GM yet since no one is hired.

It takes tme to interview people with scheduling. They aren't hiring a fry cook at McDonald's.

And if you use that analogy with the hiring of Rolston:

Darcy was out at a bar, got hammered, saw that beauty in the corner, and said I am in love. Next morning was a whole differnet story.

What happens in Vegas.......

Are you going to put a cap on how long you're going to look for your wife? Good luck with that plan if you do. If the Sabres are currently in the courting process, then hiring someone now would essentially be like asking a girl to marry you on the first date when you have 2-3 dates planned with other great sounding girls later this week. It's not a race.

Professional etiquette in interviews if you list 5 you want to interview, you interview all out of respect for the hiring process. You don't just hire the first one you like.

With online dating say you have a great strng and talk to 5 girls...set up dates with 3 of them. If you are respectful you date all 3 before deciding who to Pursue.

In finding a wife you don't have to decide to marry after the first date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad