Value of: Mtl needs a young goalie. Who and what value?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Orvald

Feb 24, 2015
Belgium
I think the goalie landscape is dry, as a sabres fan I was looking around at who we could get.

In the end comrie was the most feasable and we got him.

Reactions: HabsAddict

ML16

Aug 28, 2020
Montreal
Even considering Price’s likely officious retirement, I think it would be premature for the Habs to explore a perennial solution between the pipes this season.

Seems to me that icing an Allen*-Montembault tandem in Montreal and Primeau**-Poulin tandem in Laval is the way to go, at least until TDL.

* Allen will likely not finish the year in Montreal; a contender/pretender will surely need goalie depth for its Cup run and Allen - probably the most enticing/cost-effective UFA-to-be « G1B » option at TDL 2023 - could reasonably fetch a top-64 pick (late 2nd), especially considering how affordable his contract is : 2.8M AAV or 1.4M at full retention.

** Primeau has one year left of waiver exemption; he should focus on gaining experience/confidence in Laval to challenge for a NHL spot in 2023-2024. In that spirit, once Allen is traded, the Habs should try to acquire a veteran G instead of calling up Primeau. Optimally, this G would be either acquired via a « cap dump trade » in which the Habs gain a further asset for taking a contract, or via waivers.

As for the timeframe for finding a goalie to complete the emerging core, the 2024 offseason seems opportune, the Habs will then have: 1) massive cap space to target UFAs, with most of Bergevin’s cap burdens out of the picture; 2) an influx of promising ELC contract players from the 2018-2023 drafts at all positions but G; 3) a few high picks from selling assets in 2022-2023 ; 4) a clearer picture of Primeau’s potential as a NHL starter.

If Primeau-Montembault somehow turns out to be a legitimate tandem by 2024-2025 - and that the solution for replacing Price was within the organization after all, that would be massive.

If not, the Habs will have a lot of assets and cap to find someone elsewhere to complete their rebuild.

Reactions: Treb

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
No we don't a goalie at this point in time.
Allen, Montenbeault , Primeau will work out for the next 2 years.
Then if MTL is competitif in 2024-2025 then yeah maybe try to get a top 10 goalie.

Reactions: viceroy

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
Why on earth is Monty on our roster?

If we are going to develop goalies, let's start with something that doesn't look like an ECHL refugee.

When my wife comments that she could of stopped some of Montys goals with a wooden spoon, something is terribly wrong.
My goodness what is wrong with people? The Master Sages on here have declared the team to be a lottery team this year and people are whining that a player who few have any confidence in is not an all star. Chill out and let things take its coarse. Just let the team do what it is going to do. This could be a much better team than people make it out to be.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
If i am Huges / MSL, I put Guhle, Barron and Primeau in Laval the entire season and Slafovsky in Finland for 1 more year. Save them from the tire fire and save a year on their UFA status.

Monty and Allen should be tank-worthy. Primeau is the future but i expect they will sign a goalie next year assuming Price is officially done.

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Even considering Price’s likely officious retirement, I think it would be premature for the Habs to explore a perennial solution between the pipes this season.

Seems to me that icing an Allen*-Montembault tandem in Montreal and Primeau**-Poulin tandem in Laval is the way to go, at least until TDL.

* Allen will likely not finish the year in Montreal; a contender/pretender will surely need goalie depth for its Cup run and Allen - probably the most enticing/cost-effective UFA-to-be « G1B » option at TDL 2023 - could reasonably fetch a top-64 pick (late 2nd), especially considering how affordable his contract is : 2.8M AAV or 1.4M at full retention.

** Primeau has one year left of waiver exemption; he should focus on gaining experience/confidence in Laval to challenge for a NHL spot in 2023-2024. In that spirit, once Allen is traded, the Habs should try to acquire a veteran G instead of calling up Primeau. Optimally, this G would be either acquired via a « cap dump trade » in which the Habs gain a further asset for taking a contract, or via waivers.

As for the timeframe for finding a goalie to complete the emerging core, the 2024 offseason seems opportune, the Habs will then have: 1) massive cap space to target UFAs, with most of Bergevin’s cap burdens out of the picture; 2) an influx of promising ELC contract players from the 2018-2023 drafts at all positions but G; 3) a few high picks from selling assets in 2022-2023 ; 4) a clearer picture of Primeau’s potential as a NHL starter.

If Primeau-Montembault somehow turns out to be a legitimate tandem by 2024-2025 - and that the solution for replacing Price was within the organization after all, that would be massive.

If not, the Habs will have a lot of assets and cap to find someone elsewhere to complete their rebuild.

I'd add that by 2024 we should have a better idea of:
How Primeau does in the NHL.
How Dichow does in NA.
How Dobes does as a pro.
If Vrbetic is worth a contract.

Depending on this, we would be somewhere between "Need a starter G", "Need a vet backup G" or we're all good.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Habs will ride Allen/Monty this year then next year likely Primeau/Monty.

It's not out of the question they sign a free agent next summer or acquire someone like DiPietro to see what he's got and challenge our guys.

Realistically it's too late to draft a goalie since they take 4-5 years to develop at the very least and we're gonna start being competitive about 2 years from now. No point in drafting an 18 years old. Look at Cossa/Wallstedt/Askarov they are far from being ready. We need to look outside the org

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
The only player I can think of that fits OP's criteria that a team would even consider moving is Dylan Garand. No team is moving a potential top 10 goalie for a late 1st valuation. teams draft these goalies around that point and spent a lot of time and money trying to develop them. They aren't just going to throw that away to start back at square 1 unless they sour on the goalie or a long term goalie ahead of them. Askarov is the next closest one but Nashville probably doesn't look to move him at least for another 1-2 years if theya re going to. If they were to move him now, cost would definitely be above OP's max.

Otherwise all your options are of similar level to Primeau's, which OP says no point in spending assets on

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Are the Habs tank commanders or building a contender now? I think it’s too soon to be the later. Get the ‘remnants’ in the past so you can move forward first.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
No we don't a goalie at this point in time.
Allen, Montenbeault , Primeau will work out for the next 2 years.
Then if MTL is competitif in 2024-2025 then yeah maybe try to get a top 10 goalie.
Noone is gonna trade a top 10 goalie, you have try to get some good prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad