Value of: Mtl needs a young goalie. Who and what value?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
We'll ride with Allen-Montembault-Primeau for a few months. HuGo will not pay a high price in a hurry for something we don't need that much since we're rebuilding.

Maybe a waiver pick, or pick a goalie high next draft, or a 2023 UFA.

Not a f***ing 1st for f***ing Samsonov tho. Nor Vladar.
Samsonov was free and i thought he was an upgrade over Monty'hole. The cost was a million more which is irrelevent for a real goalie.

Monty just irks me. I never saw anything like him called "NHL goalie". In some games, my beer league guys were far better.

I remember him giving up a goal on a foot tall and foot wide gap on the inside post. I thought that he should also have a sign..SHOOT HERE

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Yeah Georgiev is much more proven but that's not necessarily a good thing when the proof isn't exactly the best. Sometimes you can get more for the mystery bag than you can for the see-thru one.
Ok. But no one is giving up a 1st for a mystery bag. There’s no guarantee he’ll even be better than Primeau. So why pay a huge price to get him.

Reactions: viceroy

CapSpace

Caufield is lit
Nov 25, 2013
Near Montreal
Samsonov was free and i thought he was an upgrade over Monty'hole. The cost was a million more which is irrelevent for a real goalie.

Monty just irks me. I never saw anything like him called "NHL goalie". In some games, my beer league guys were far better.

I remember him giving up a goal on a foot tall and foot wide gap on the inside post. I thought that he should also have a sign..SHOOT HERE

Perfect for the tank.

GreatSaveLuongo

May 4, 2009
You can probably snatch Michael Dipetro from Nucks for cheap low round pick and test out his potential (2-way contract) .

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
You can have Daniel Vladar if you give us back our 1st round draft pick.
He just turned 25 three days ago, he played 23 games last season with a .906 Sv%, a 2.75 GAA, and a 13-6 W/L record.
Normally the Flames would keep him but we have Dustin Wolf in the wings chomping at the bit.
Easy on the Kool-Aid.
Vladar isn't returning a 1st from any team let alone from the Habs.
We'll be keeping that 1st you gave us for free.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Just waiting next off season and look to sign Fillip Gustavsson I watch him a lot in last 3 years he can become a really good # 1 (top 15 in NHL) in 2 to 4 years
I was thinking about him but his stats are worrisome. On paper, first year he looks great, next year OUCH.

Don't know much about him other then from his ststs. Maybe a Sen fan can give us a better picture

Sebastien

May 1, 2022
I was thinking about him but his stats are worrisome. On paper, first year he looks great, next year OUCH.

Don't know much about him other then from his ststs. Maybe a Sen fan can give us a better picture
He's restricted. Minnesota wouldn't let him go especially because he's cheap.

iguuar

Aug 20, 2022
Price is done. Thanks, i love you, but we need to move on.

We have Primeau but in my opinion, he's not top 10 NHL starter material.

So the thread question....What is available under 26 that is underated or stuck behind a top goalie? He needs to have top 10 "potential" or we stay with what we have.

As much as a late 1st is available, but it may get complicated! LOL

Thoughts?
If you can win a cup with Darcy Kuemper vs a back to back champion TB lightning team it’s solid proof all you need is adequate goaltending.

With the salary cap as it is teams should be looking to spend no more than 8% of their salary cap on the goaltending tandem.

The day of needing a Brodeur Roy Type are done. While it’s nice to have a goalie who can win three in a row by shutouts it’s just not necessary

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
If you can win a cup with Darcy Kuemper vs a back to back champion TB lightning team it’s solid proof all you need is adequate goaltending.

With the salary cap as it is teams should be looking to spend no more than 8% of their salary cap on the goaltending tandem.

The day of needing a Brodeur Roy Type are done. While it’s nice to have a goalie who can win three in a row by shutouts it’s just not necessary
Montreal doesn't have the offensive power Colorado possesses, so adequate goaltending only won't cut it.

iguuar

Aug 20, 2022
Easy on the Kool-Aid.
Vladar isn't returning a 1st from any team let alone from the Habs.
We'll be keeping that 1st you gave us for free.
It’s ok it’s going to be a 31/32 draft pick.

Montreal doesn't have the offensive power Colorado possesses, so adequate goaltending only won't cut it.
It’s not about offensive power. Never has been.

I wouldn’t say it hurts to have a superstar goalie it’s just absolutely not necessary and that is why most teams have started taking a random goalie In the 2nd/3rd round every other year while taking an absolute bargain goalie in rounds 5-7 as well.

Flames hit it Rich with Wolf.

Reactions: captainpaxil

ACLEVERNAME

Jan 6, 2010
If I'd give the Habs any real honest compliment as an organization it's their ability to pull great (or at least competent) goalies out of their behind on a consistant basis. Any and all success they've had in the 33 years I've existed has been on the shoulders of the goaltending.

My honest advice - go with the flow. Don't try and force anything. Just let it happen.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
It’s ok it’s going to be a 31/32 draft pick.

It’s not about offensive power. Never has been.

I wouldn’t say it hurts to have a superstar goalie it’s just absolutely not necessary and that is why most teams have started taking a random goalie In the 2nd/3rd round every other year while taking an absolute bargain goalie in rounds 5-7 as well.

Flames hit it Rich with Wolf.
Yeah, but Avs won the Cup with their offensive power. What propels the Habs to win the Cup? Not clear at this moment.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
We did not have the offensive power 2 years ago and unless we get Bedard and cheap Dubois, I can't see it in the near future.

Two years ago it was rock hard team defense and great goaltending. Without the goaltending we never make it out of the first round.

We wont have another Price but I'll settle for the lower end of top 15. Not going to happen by luck.

franste Perreault

Dec 2, 2021

I am not a sens fans but a Hockey fans. Watching a lot of game.
Never forget during his time in Ottawa He never had a decent defense core in front of him.
Also this team was in a rebuilding mode and the fact is young players in front of him panic when they got press

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
i expect the Habs will finish with the fewest points, but will pick 4th.

bettman wants to discourage tanking and after the way the Canadiens played their way to the finals I cant really say hes wrong
Lol. Interesting conspiracy theory you got going there.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Habs do not "need" a young goalie at this point in time. If there is a goalie we value and the cost to acquire is something we can spare, we will engage. However, don't pretend we are desperate for it and will trade valuable assets we need in other areas.

* Allen/Monty will be fine in another rebuilding year.
* Primeau will have one more AHL season. Dobes had a very good NCAA season last year.
* We will look to draft more goalies in the future.

I rather fill the goalie piece as part of the core as one of the last pieces in the rebuild vs one of the 1st pieces like we had with Price way back.

Reactions: viceroy and Qwijibo

MarioLeMoose

Jul 15, 2022

Samsonov was free yeah, but he got to choose where he was signing. Why would he sign to a bottom feeding team for the same money as a team who could be a possible contender? (especially if he believes in himself as being the goalie who can bring the team all the way)

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Samsonov was free yeah, but he got to choose where he was signing. Why would he sign to a bottom feeding team for the same money as a team who could be a possible contender? (especially if he believes in himself as being the goalie who can bring the team all the way)
Where he would sign is speculation.

At the time Price played us AGAIN and said he was ready, so it didn't make sense to look at Samsonov.

Price needs to ride into the sunset...or pushed there. I simply don't care to hear from him anymore.

BlueTacos

Jul 22, 2022
STL
Don't see how you get a goalie with top 10 starting potential. I don't think Florida is trading Knight. Samsonov doesn't scream top 10 potential to me considering the goaltending in this league. You basically want a young goalie, top 1/3 goalie, while parting with a potential late first? Can't see that happening.
Should have signed Villegas husso

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad