Value of: Mtl needs a young goalie. Who and what value?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Allen is pretty much a textbook definition of a 1B goalie. He plays too much and generally has too strong an impact to be a #2.

Goalies are also really weird and uneven. Unless you get a true elite goalie through the draft (who never get traded), you're hoping for one of the goalies that figures it out later. And generally outside of a few guys, most goalies aren't reliably a top-10.
Price was one of the exceptions that was elite from minute one.

I'm looking for that "figures it out" goalie who is ypung enough to grow.

We got 3-4 year window to contend and that means someone 26 or younger. That gives us an early 30s goalie with a 5 year window.

Price spoiled us, but also hid the huge holes we had.

Moving on...

Reactions: HabsQC

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Price was one of the exceptions that was elite from minute one.

I'm looking for that "figures it out" goalie who is ypung enough to grow.

We got 3-4 year window to contend and that means someone 26 or younger. That gives us an early 30s goalie with a 5 year window.

Price spoiled us, but also hid the huge holes we had.

Moving on...

Price was not elite from minute one. He had a great rookie year, but it took him years to hit his elite stride. After year 3 people inside and outside of the market were arguing Montreal should keep Halak instead of him.

Montreal is not being built the way they were around Price. Montreal has holes everywhere, they're not going to prioritize goaltending.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Late 1st is an overpayment, for a long time it was standard to see promising goalies stuck behind strong duos to go for 2nd rounders.
Kiprusoff comes to mind.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Late 1st is an overpayment, for a long time it was standard to see promising goalies stuck behind strong duos to go for 2nd rounders.
Kiprusoff comes to mind.
A 2nd rounder (or a late 1st, or in between) is more appropriate for a young-ish goalie with promise who has not been able to steal the starting job from another starter and requires waivers to be placed in the AHL.

Younger goalies with very high talent and potential who aren't NHL regulars yet and are still waiver eligible are worth more in a trade, though in many cases they aren't traded. For example, Cossa, Wallstedt and Askarov arguably have more trade value right now than Knight, and this would be even more true if Knight required waivers and still hadn't stolen Bobrovsky's job yet.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
I was actually really hoping that the asset coming with Monahan was not a 1st but Wolf. Definitely not something I would have done from the Flames perspective, but, hey, one can hope.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Why would anyone trade a young goalie with top 10 potential… for a late first rounder.

Sounds like you are in search of a unicorn
Top 10 potential doesn't mean that potential is sure to be realized. Guys like Knight and Oettinger are likely to be top 10, but there are probably 20 to 40 guys in the 19 to 23 range who could be in the top 10 at some point. Some team will have one and not have the developmental icetime available, and will be open to trading.

Reactions: HabsAddict

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The only realistic option I can see with the Habs getting a young goalie is offersheeting Oettinger and losing likely a 1st and 3rd for him.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Top 10 potential doesn't mean that potential is sure to be realized. Guys like Knight and Oettinger are likely to be top 10, but there are probably 20 to 40 guys in the 19 to 23 range who could be in the top 10 at some point. Some team will have one and not have the developmental icetime available, and will be open to trading.
BINGO

This is where the target lays.

I rather have 3 "really good" prospects or candidates then find out that the one egg in the basket is not hatching.

Primeau seems to be our top egg and I'm not that sure he's a top 10.

BTW...are you pth from the other place?

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
A conditional 1st is too much for Vladar. He might fetch a 2nd or 3rd.
Vladar got a 3rd last year and he had a great year. You don’t trade him for just a second.

Wolf is off the table. He’s going to be a top 5-10 goalie. If Tre was an elite GM he would have moved on from Markstrom and likely gained an asset. Oh well

• Haha
Reactions: BlueBaron

V13

Score First , Grind Hard , No Mercy
Sep 21, 2005
Keep the course with Allen and Montembeault and let's see what we have with Primeau/Dobes/Dichow and the other goalie prospects in the organization first. There is no hurry as the Habs are not gonna be competitve for at least a couple more years.

If all hte options within the pipeline fail or don't see like they'll be starter in the NHL then make a move or try to draft one i say.

As of now there is no need to give assets for a goalie imho

Reactions: loadie

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Montreal likely already has someone in their system and dont even know it....Montreal can struggle to make the correct choice,in most other area,s at times.....But finding goaltenders seems to be the one thing they get right

Reactions: viceroy

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
BINGO

This is where the target lays.

I rather have 3 "really good" prospects or candidates then find out that the one egg in the basket is not hatching.

Primeau seems to be our top egg and I'm not that sure he's a top 10.

BTW...are you pth from the other place?
Habs have a number of potentially good goalies in the system - including Primeau, who had a lights out run in the AHL last spring. Regardless, the era of building from the nets out is over, and bergevin is gone. Hughes can build his team correctly - down the middle and on D and figure it out with a solid goalie who doesn't have to steal games every night and play 65 games.

Aves won with a tandem and it's been done before with a solid goalie behind a well-balanced team. A superstar or top 10 goalie isn't always necessary - and if it is, habs have time to draft or develop one of the many they've drafted.(Vrebetic, Dobes, Dichow, Primeau)

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Keep the course with Allen and Montembeault and let's see what we have with Primeau/Dobes/Dichow and the other goalie prospects in the organization first. There is no hurry as the Habs are not gonna be competitve for at least a couple more years.

If all hte options within the pipeline fail or don't see like they'll be starter in the NHL then make a move or try to draft one i say.

As of now there is no need to give assets for a goalie imho
Huge inherent problem with that is that you're core matures and you find out that your starter is Montehole.

Years of bottom finishing gets stalled by AHL goaltending. The very opposite of having Price cover up huge holes.

That is why the time is now if we expect the window to open up in 3 years or so. It's not like we are using up rare picks we don't have.

Lastly...builds start from the net out. We are starting to build the front end and we got diaper rash in defense. Meanwhile core issue of goaltending is questionable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad