Post-Game Talk: Montreal/Reimer defeat the Leafs....

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
:laugh:

our defence is ****. but reimer is also not very good. i dont need to prove it, he's doing it himself. he may go onto have a mediocre nhl career somewhere else, but probably as a back up if at all. just my prediction.

splinter is a wise rat :naughty:

So wise he got killed LOL

Reimer is young. I am not saying he is a Vezina type goalie. I am simply saying that Reimer is not the only one to blame...and not just that but he has made key saves every game...its either the Kessel line got shut out and we played bad defense or The Kessel line scored but well lol not much other scoring (as in enough to win)..and then like tnight the ref blows a call right at the end and give the other team a PP and of course Reimer makes an oopsy and its all his fault.

Again that Ottawa game where the MTL player sat on Lehner in OT and MTL scored immediately after the player got off him and that was allowed...I hate the SENS but that was insane. Yet JVR gets pushed into Price..Price falls like a soccer player and there you go. Reimer's confidence is low as low can be..and I dont blame him. Randy goes and makes a stupid comment "just ok" when Reimer infact had the HON that night and we lost...Randy shouldnt have said anything and in sports confidence and mentality can make an average player play great...

In the playoffs..teams win that people dont see winning..and sometimes those teams win the cup. Look at LA..they were pretty crappy all year turned it on at the end made it in 8th and won the cup.

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
In the playoffs..teams win that people dont see winning..and sometimes those teams win the cup.Look at LA..they were pretty crappy all year turned it on at the end made it in 8th and won the cup.

The difference is that LA was a favorite to start the year but underachieved until the end of the season. The Leafs team currently is nothing like the '12 Kings.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Has there ever been a more glorious GIF?

845042223.gif

That's awesome :laugh: Scrivens just gave someone a free jersey!

When people tell me that Reimer is the problem and Bernier is great when they both have one regulation win after the Olympic Break and the only reason Bernier only has one regulation loss over that stretch is because of a difference in run support (numbers are comparable otherwise), I'm amazed that they don't realize how stupid that sounds.

You might as well just say "if Reimer had significantly better numbers than Bernier, he'd be as good as Bernier". That or ask him to start scoring a goal per game, too.

I don't give two ***** if Bernier played 50 games and has been 'great' all year -- his numbers in this period are poor, and we just as likely would have lost tonight if he put up similar numbers to the rest of his post-break games, so I think it's unfair to see the amount of vitriol on Reimer that we've seen in this thread.

Bernier gets the job done, end of story.

We just as likely would have lost tonight if Bernier put up similar numbers to the rest of his post-break games even though right before that you said that Bernier has only picked up points in 5 of his 6 games since the break because of more goal support. So for the sake of your argument, I need to pretend that Bernier would allow the same goals as Reimer, that Bernier would have numbers more like his Isles game instead of his Rangers or Ducks game AND that the goal support that he gets more of would not come into play (because in a game where you lose by one goal, that would apparently make no difference).

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
To lighten the mode...

Cliffs: Oilers losing, Hall slams water-bottle, water-bottle proceeds to wet Eakins. Eakins benches Hall for 12 minutes in addition to yelling at him and throwing his towel at him. :laugh:

Video:

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Ahhh, I don't want to pile on to the negativity in this thread. I think we put in a good effort. We still have time to salvage the season.

But WTF Reimer! You gotta have that 4th goal. Ugh.

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
You saw it all season how much this team relies on the great Bernier. Need him back soon.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Reimer=done.

What was with that 4th goal? How the hell did that go in?

Why do the leafs keep playing him? He was done after game 7 in Boston last spring.. we all called it. And now.. a year later, this guy is still playing net for Toronto? Why?

The dude is finished in Toronto. The Reimer supporters are long, long gone. Nowhere to be seen. Scattered like sheep when the wolf shows up.
He's on borrowed time, lots of borrowed time.

Leafs could really miss the playoffs now after tonight - a morale-sinking performance by their goalie who got them into *yet* another hole right off the bat.
Now Randy Carlyle will cast him aside for an AHL backup goalie... how sad is that. We need to go a level deeper into the farm to get a decent goalie... how bad has this become for Reimer. What a sad situation for him to be in.

Bye bye, Reims. Thanks for the memories.

leafstilldeath*

ibgbnjK9Zc3bb9.gif

(From the main board)

Kessel on a high fat diet is the reason the 1st line has gone cold

:sarcasm:

Coatsy79

May 14, 2011
Uk
You have to laugh or you'd cry

I'm amazed at the ever more imaginative ways the leafs find ways to (potentially) miss the playoffs

Someone needs to go if they miss out this year, most teams tighten up towards the run in, we always seem to make it hard for ourselves

ForSpareParts*

Wow. I can't believe that we are in a spot where we have to win the majority of our games to make the post season now.

Reimer was brutal last night. Several stoppable pucks went by him.

A win in Jersey will help, but those games in hand for other teams are going to possibly make us miss.

It's so crazy. How the heck did we get here?

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
First time all year they ice a forward group that was envisioned in the offseason and I thought overall they looked great. Plenty of scoring chances and dominated pretty much the whole game. Bolland didn't look out of place at all tonight and should only get better. He really fills out the forward group nicely and allows for others to fall back into their proper rolls.

The defence these past stretch of games have been extremely dangerous offensively, Gardiner in particular. It's quite obvious that he has been given the green light to let it loose and he certainly is creating a lot of ofense right now. If only he and the rest of the defence could cut out some of the most horrific unforced turnovers we could maybe claim some sort of respectability on the defensive end.

Reimers game was hot trash tonight and it's obvious his confidence is at an all time low. This team needs that calming presence in Bernier back in the lineup yesterday. I just want to see a fully healthy and non suspended team play to finally see how good we can be, which could be really impressive.

What I would give to punch a ref square in the face.

The leafs only had one penalty called against them all night. Blaming the refs is a cop out. Everyone knows penalties or bad penalties do happen. It's a fast game and the refs don't have the benefit of slow motion instant replay.

You lost because your goalie let in 3 soft goals and too many turnovers. Habs could have had 8. Reimer did make a few nice saves too.

rustysvetz

Dec 16, 2009
Toronto
Yep... that was a disappointing game to watch. It was ours to win and we didn't take that chance. I always hesistate to blast a goalie but would have been nice if he came up with one of those saves (minus the uber Gleason tip).

JVR could have avoided that penalty. Really thought it was a bad penalty to take, was a lot of time to change course.

On the plus side... There's still ten games left for them to go on another roller coaster winning streak.

jeff leonard

Nov 6, 2013
australia
Reimer=done.

What was with that 4th goal? How the hell did that go in?

Why do the leafs keep playing him? He was done after game 7 in Boston last spring.. we all called it. And now.. a year later, this guy is still playing net for Toronto? Why?

The dude is finished in Toronto. The Reimer supporters are long, long gone. Nowhere to be seen. Scattered like sheep when the wolf shows up.
He's on borrowed time, lots of borrowed time.

Leafs could really miss the playoffs now after tonight - a morale-sinking performance by their goalie who got them into *yet* another hole right off the bat.
Now Randy Carlyle will cast him aside for an AHL backup goalie... how sad is that. We need to go a level deeper into the farm to get a decent goalie... how bad has this become for Reimer. What a sad situation for him to be in.

Bye bye, Reims. Thanks for the memories.

lmao how overdramatic can you be? The team is bad. The coach is bad. It's an imbalanced team with a system dreamed up by basically an idiot. And yeah, Reimer is playing worse, but a team like this essentially needs excellent goaltending every single night because the defensive system is literally the worst.

Goaltending is kind of a psychological thing too, so maybe the organization should treat its goaltenders a little better than they treated Reimer, cuz his confidence and motivation are probably shattered after a year of being crapped on.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Goaltending is kind of a psychological thing
If that is true, Reimer is clearly not tough mentally and should have a stint in the minors.

It was 7:29pm yesterday ... NOT EVEN 7:30pm, and we were down 2-0.

It will take a small amount of guts for Carlyle to play McIntyre tonight.

But it's the right call.
I thought it was the right call last night.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
i havent read any posts BUT i am sure everyone is blaming Reimer.

All I have to say is this;

While Reimer let in a couple soft goals, none worse than the 4th one, our team defence is more to blame.

Apparently you didn't watch the game.
The Leafs outplayed Montreal.
The score should have been 4-1 Leafs.
Except the Reimer factor.

Hansman

Mar 18, 2013
Wild West
Habs fan..will behave

Both teams we're brutal turning the puck over last night,both have porous defence.
This could of gone either way.

Espher

Nov 22, 2008
Fredericton, N.B.
We just as likely would have lost tonight if Bernier put up similar numbers to the rest of his post-break games even though right before that you said that Bernier has only picked up points in 5 of his 6 games since the break because of more goal support. So for the sake of your argument, I need to pretend that Bernier would allow the same goals as Reimer, that Bernier would have numbers more like his Isles game instead of his Rangers or Ducks game AND that the goal support that he gets more of would not come into play (because in a game where you lose by one goal, that would apparently make no difference).

Yeah, you never know which of the games you're going to get with either goaltender, so I can only project on trends and averages post-break, and the fact is they're both just as "good" or "bad" as the other guy.

And -- again -- if the difference ends up being Bernier getting more goal support, then that has **** all to do with Reimer and everything to do with the team's play and/or coaching, which is kind of what I'm getting at here. Bernier and Reimer have put up comparable numbers since the break, but Bernier has a better record because of more run support, so why is Reimer getting the blame for the team deciding to tighten up their sphincters and score less? If it's a lack of 'faith' then maybe these pro athletes need to spend a little more time with a sports psychologist to fix the problem between their ears. Reimer gets an extra goal in each of the four losses, and there probably aren't four regulation losses, and we're back to discussing whether or not we get home ice vs. Tampa.

Per HF Leafs Logic over this stretch, the only Reimer will be 'as good as' Bernier is if his numbers are significantly better than Bernier's.

Last edited:

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
Habs fan..will behave

Both teams we're brutal turning the puck over last night,both have porous defence.
This could of gone either way.

I agree with everything you said except from my perspective, Leafs should have won, rather than going either way. Both defenses are scary to watch.

Believe it or not, I want your boys to make the playoffs, not Detroit, Rangers, Caps. I would like to see a Leafs-Habs series. How great would that be?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
lmao how overdramatic can you be? The team is bad. The coach is bad. It's an imbalanced team with a system dreamed up by basically an idiot. And yeah, Reimer is playing worse, but a team like this essentially needs excellent goaltending every single night because the defensive system is literally the worst.

Goaltending is kind of a psychological thing too, so maybe the organization should treat its goaltenders a little better than they treated Reimer, cuz his confidence and motivation are probably shattered after a year of being crapped on.
If Reimer plays even close to an NHL level goalie then we win this game. The Leafs had the majority of chances, scored 3 nice goals and hit 3-4 posts. Reimer lets 2 pucks go through him and puts 1 in his own net.

This wasn't about a goalie saving them, it was about a goalie blowing it for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad