Post-Game Talk: Montreal/Reimer defeat the Leafs....

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
Apparently you didn't watch the game.
The Leafs outplayed Montreal.
The score should have been 4-1 Leafs.
Except the Reimer factor.
It was only a little over a week ago he stole a game against the LA Kings coming off the bench cold... how short some peoples memories are

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
It was only a little over a week ago he stole a game against the LA Kings coming off the bench cold... how short some peoples memories are
1 game should never abolish the crap he's done before and since. That win, is nearly meaningless since the Leafs have lost 4 straight

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON

Lmao. He has 4 wins in his last 18 starts and you pick the one time he played well in god knows how long as a reason to defend him. Just gtfo.

Bluejaysfan*

Bernier has done the same when he was put in the same situation. The home opener vs Ottawa being an example.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Wow. I can't believe that we are in a spot where we have to win the majority of our games to make the post season now.

Reimer was brutal last night. Several stoppable pucks went by him.

A win in Jersey will help, but those games in hand for other teams are going to possibly make us miss.

It's so crazy. How the heck did we get here?
They should win the majority of games anyways. You want this team to go into the playoffs(if they make it) winning majority of the games to go in hot.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Reimer hasn't exactly stole the show since returning but in all honesty he's just exposing how week we are defensively.

Average goaltending just doesn't cut it for the Leafs. We need him to either regain his confidence or for Bernier to come back ASAP.

I feel as if Reimer has lost his confidence. He's never been much of a pure athlete but made up for it with sound positioning, determination and focus. Now that he feels no one has any faith in him he's slashing at other players, flopping around and playing like a shell of his former self.

I'm a huge Reimer fan and wanted nothing more than him to prove to be our number one but I think that the ship may have sailed. I hope he can rebound with another team but I just don't see it working out with the Leafs.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Reimer hasn't exactly stole the show since returning but in all honesty he's just exposing how week we are defensively.

Average goaltending just doesn't cut it for the Leafs. We need him to either regain his confidence or for Bernier to come back ASAP.

I feel as if Reimer has lost his confidence. He's never been much of a pure athlete but made up for it with sound positioning, determination and focus. Now that he feels no one has any faith in him he's slashing at other players, flopping around and playing like a shell of his former self.

I'm a huge Reimer fan and wanted nothing more than him to prove to be our number one but I think that the ship may have sailed. I hope he can rebound with another team but I just don't see it working out with the Leafs.

LAST NIGHT WASN'T A DEFENSIVE PROBLEM IT WAS ALL REIMER. First goal bad turn over by Kessel but c'mon you still have to stop that shot can't have a free turnover game. Next goal again weak. 3rd goal no chance. 4th and final goal ****in terrible like always.

Hibachi

Oct 22, 2013
Reimer had that one amazing game vs LA, but other than that, he's been pretty bad even before that LA game. He's just lost out there, no confidence, second guessing every shot, can't find his rebounds, everything a goalie can be doing wrong, he's doing it.

Sucks, cause I'm a fan of Reimer and it sucks seeing someone like that basically get ridden out of town the way he's playing, but his performances are inexcusable at this point.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

Reimer hasn't given the Leafs average goaltending recently, he has a .889 save% in the new year, that's not NHL caliber.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
LAST NIGHT WASN'T A DEFENSIVE PROBLEM IT WAS ALL REIMER. First goal bad turn over by Kessel but c'mon you still have to stop that shot can't have a free turnover game. Next goal again weak. 3rd goal no chance. 4th and final goal ****in terrible like always.

He was pretty lackluster last night.

I was referring more to his general play since the Bernier injury.

I think that the majority of your folks aren't up for level headed discussion right now. People are downright disgusted with the Leafs/Reimer's performance as of late. So much...Anger here.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin

I think that the majority of your folks aren't up for level headed discussion right now. People are downright disgusted with the Leafs/Reimer's performance as of late. So much...Anger here.

Why wouldn't you be angry? This guy has basically single handedly taken the leafs out of a playoff spot. Has 15 goals against in his last 4 starts. These past 4 games is extremely similar to the Toskala and Ron Wilson era.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009

Average goaltending will not win you a stanley cup. Have there been exceptions to that rule? Sure, but most teams win cups because of how great their goalie plays which is baffling when people complain that our goalies play great

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton

Shots from 180 degree to goal line are not exposing a weak defense.
Shots going through the goaltender or under his glove/blocker repeatedly are not weak defense.

CerebralDevil

Jul 14, 2011
Last nights game was not due to a poor defensive performance. It was another crappy 1st period from Reimer, he let in 3 ugly goals last night.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Average goaltending will not win you a stanley cup. Have there been exceptions to that rule? Sure, but most teams win cups because of how great their goalie plays which is baffling when people complain that our goalies play great

Corey Crawford was/is a real nail-biter but (obviously) the Hawks have much better team defence in front of him.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

I don't understand why people are so angry or surprised at the Leafs struggles. The warning signs have been there all season.

They're in the bottom 5 in goals against as one of the weakest defensive teams. They're on pace to set a new record for most shots against in a season this year. They have a team goals against average > 3 goals a game and a negative goal differential.

James Reimer has a 3.32 GAA (47th ranked).

So when the Leafs give up 3 or more goals in a game its expected as they've done it all season. This game was no different and in fact exactly what the numbers suggested would happen before the puck was even dropped.

jimmycarter

Jun 12, 2010
4-1 if not for reimer is absoultely right. he is a mess.

he never has any idea where the puck us...even when it hits him. its kinda funny actually.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
Reimer had that one amazing game vs LA, but other than that, he's been pretty bad even before that LA game. He's just lost out there, no confidence, second guessing every shot, can't find his rebounds, everything a goalie can be doing wrong, he's doing it.

Sucks, cause I'm a fan of Reimer and it sucks seeing someone like that basically get ridden out of town the way he's playing, but his performances are inexcusable at this point.
...How does a guy with such confidence and such a positive demeanour become unsure and lose all that confidence?...hmmm let me guess. Playing in this market, and especially for a coach like we unfortunately have, can destroy anyone. Doing this behind a soft team that , in general, only shows effort when they have the puck is our real problem. I hope Reimer does well wherever he ends up.To me it's on Nonis to evaluate this team and start making the necessary corrections.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I am really disappointed in everybody right now, not just JR

Defense

2013-2014: 26th.
2012-2013: 18th.
2011-2012: 29th.

By the way, Bernier is 28th. GAA this year 2.61, Reimer was 21st. last year 2.46.

This points out a team wide regression.

GAA is a team stat.

This post is not to support any individual, but is pointing out wholistic issues with the team.

Someone is undermining team wide performance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad