• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Agreed this core has not worked, this whole thread my only issue was the selective fingering and goal post moving to frame one player as the root cause of that failure. Personally I think the coach struggled to coach playoff hockey, I dont think the players were ready or prepared to play playoff hockey, that is on the coach. Each one of the core 4 did not consistently play nearly to the level that they needed to play to, that is on them. The complimentary players at the bottom of the lineup made mistakes that sometimes cost us games. IMO it was the make up of the team from AM all the way down to the bottom player Reaves. The GM was way to focused on one type of player one type of style. I think as much as Vas, Bob and Swayman are elite goalies, we allowed the elite goalies to goalie us vs the goalie just being better. Did Mitch not play to his level of hockey in some series, absolutely. Did AM disappear in some series, yep, was JT a shadow of a former 1st over all pick, yep, did our goalie suck, sometimes yep, ... IMO it was just a cluster of obvious 20/20 hindsight failures that have led to 8 years of the same results.

The charity is a ruse.. that is why he did not allow any media into his fake charity golf tournament ... I wonder if his diet consists of carrots only...

Slow Mo of the Leafs Sports Nutritionist feeding Mitch his post game meal

giphy.gif
I thought it was just me and Mgmt that thought that way. After all the coach was let go. I’ve posted the bolded before the reply I got was, the coach can’t score goals but it’s his fault sure. Lmao! I guess anybody can coach a team to success. I guess any one of us would have been Cup Champions if the Panthers only gave us the job.

Reactions: francis246

myleafs

May 25, 2021
All the idiocy is grouped together, hence the 'some'
We've seen his teeth, wife, dog, stealing from the needy and the latest stupidity, where he was picked in the All Star game all as reasons why he must leave.
I know there are more but those are the real dumb ones off the top of my head.
You said people were blaming his teeth and I asked who and for some links and this is your reply?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
You said people were blaming his teeth and I asked who and for some links and this is your reply?

There was a thread this year where someone posted a picture and was saying all Mitch cares about is his fake teeth, ect; I do remember that happening. @ACC1224 isn’t lying about that. It was pretty unnecessary. Believe it was right after the playoffs.

Reactions: ACC1224

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
The whole all-star draft is a produced televised event. Do you understand how TV works? Do you think any TV company/broadcast would just let the players go up there and do whatever they want?

Even the NHL draft has elements that are produced and planned out to make it entertaining. It’s not produced to the same extent as the All-Star game draft. Picks are submitted a few minutes prior electronically. But with the All-Star Draft after the whole Kessel fiasco, the captains pre select and the producers take over after to make the live selections entertaining. Morgan Rielly went on overdrive a few hours before the draft and admitted they have the selections done, everyone just has to wait and see what they do.

I don’t understand how you wouldn’t know this as a sports fan and if you actually believe it’s all real and not produced rogers did a damn good job tricking you lol.
Uhh... you do realize Overdrive is recorded and everything you just said was completely incorrect. Care to explain yourself out of this one?

Reilly says that they dont even know the draft order yet. Its the very first thing he said. IN FACT ... he discusses the possibility of having to pick between Nylander or Marner but hope there isnt bad blood if one is picked over the other.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Yes, that's my reply. I'm certainly not going to go and seek out the stupidity, most likely have them on ignore anyway.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Maple Leafs legend Mats Sundin and current star Mitch Marner are surprisingly being compared for their statistical output through their first 8 seasons.​

1721413162602.png

Mitch Marner has been rumoured to be on the move to just about every team in the league this offseason. It is bizarre to think that Marner is producing at a higher point per game pace than arguably the one of the greatest Maple Leaf of all time in Sundin.

The question that comes up after seeing this comparison is: "Does Marner deserve all the flak he gets?"

Regardless of Sundin's point per game being lower than Marner's, the impact Sundin had on the Maple Leafs during his tenure is unmatched. Sundin almost singlehandedly dragged his team to multiple playoff series wins. Sundin also had some very sub-par linemates during his tenure on the Leafs, like Nik Antropov and Alexei Ponikarovsky, where as Marner has had superstars Auston Matthews, John Tavares and William Nylander to play with night in and night out.

However, the biggest difference between the 2 is their performance in the playoffs. Sundin was an amazing playoff performer for the Maple Leafs throughout his time Toronto. The same cannot be said for Marner, who disappears in the playoffs when it matters most.

Playoff Series wins in their first 8 seasons with the Maple Leafs:
Mats Sundin: 8
Mitch Marner: 1

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
All the idiocy is grouped together, hence the 'some'
We've seen his teeth, wife, dog, stealing from the needy and the latest stupidity, where he was picked in the All Star game all as reasons why he must leave.
I know there are more but those are the real dumb ones off the top of my head.

you missed shitty nutrition and terrible skating, falls down too much cant stay on his feet ... carry on...

Maple Leafs legend Mats Sundin and current star Mitch Marner are surprisingly being compared for their statistical output through their first 8 seasons.​

View attachment 895937

Mitch Marner has been rumoured to be on the move to just about every team in the league this offseason. It is bizarre to think that Marner is producing at a higher point per game pace than arguably the one of the greatest Maple Leaf of all time in Sundin.

The question that comes up after seeing this comparison is: "Does Marner deserve all the flak he gets?"

Regardless of Sundin's point per game being lower than Marner's, the impact Sundin had on the Maple Leafs during his tenure is unmatched. Sundin almost singlehandedly dragged his team to multiple playoff series wins. Sundin also had some very sub-par linemates during his tenure on the Leafs, like Nik Antropov and Alexei Ponikarovsky, where as Marner has had superstars Auston Matthews, John Tavares and William Nylander to play with night in and night out.

However, the biggest difference between the 2 is their performance in the playoffs. Sundin was an amazing playoff performer for the Maple Leafs throughout his time Toronto. The same cannot be said for Marner, who disappears in the playoffs when it matters most.

Oh now you've done it... kicking that hornets nest... the mob is gonna come after you ;) :P

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Uhh... you do realize Overdrive is recorded and everything you just said was completely incorrect. Care to explain yourself out of this one?

Reilly says that they dont even know the draft order yet. Its the very first thing he said. IN FACT ... he discusses the possibility of having to pick between Nylander or Marner but hope there isnt bad blood if one is picked over the other.

My mistake I misheard the Reilly part when I listened live. I can own that. That’s my bad.

But he does mention trades (which doesn’t happen live on air), hoping the players actually get to run the show and working behind the scenes to ensure he gets both guys which does still speak to an element of preproduction. Which still does happen with pretty much anything done on TV.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
you missed shitty nutrition and terrible skating, falls down too much cant stay on his feet ... carry on...

Oh now you've done it... kicking that hornets nest... the mob is gonna come after you ;) :P
Forgot about those ones, how he doesn't train in the summer :laugh:
I have about an hour more work, then hit the pool. The froth brigade will need to wait until Monday when I'm back at it.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I thought it was just me and Mgmt that thought that way. After all the coach was let go. I’ve posted the bolded before the reply I got was, the coach can’t score goals but it’s his fault sure. Lmao! I guess anybody can coach a team to success. I guess any one of us would have been Cup Champions if the Panthers only gave us the job.

Who ever told you that is an ass.

Playoff hockey is all about adjustments, the other sides does Y, so you counter act what they do by doing X, then they counter you by doing this Z and this cycle continues until either you out strategize them or the war of injury attrition becomes too much to over come... the Leafs literally looked like they were running on pure skill , not a lot of adjustments to their game that I noticed. I remember Keefe once saying, I think it was the CBJ series, that he was not concerned about line matching and the other team should be more concerned about line matching, or somethign to that extent. I recall him being miffed at the suggestion that he should line match.

My mistake I misheard the Reilly part when I listened live. I can own that. That’s my bad.

But he does mention trades (which doesn’t happen live on air), hoping the players actually get to run the show and working behind the scenes to ensure he gets both guys which does still speak to an element of preproduction. Which still does happen with pretty much anything done on TV.

Something you would never see from the MOB , admitting when they were mistaken. Integrity - good on you!

Reactions: Confucius

myleafs

May 25, 2021
There was a thread this year where someone posted a picture and was saying all Mitch cares about is his fake teeth, ect; I do remember that happening. @ACC1224 isn’t lying about that. It was pretty unnecessary. Believe it was right after the playoffs.
It was a BS hyperbole post by the poster you are defending and its getting lamer by the day. More insults, crazy outlandish claims, gaslighting. If the goal is to alienate a faction of this board that doesn't feel the same way, mission accomplished I guess.

I like to hear others opinions that are different than mine but the bs that some dish out (clearly against forum rules..ie insults after insults) has lowered the iq level around here way too much for my liking. If all you got are insults then you aint got nothing that Im interested in.

The cesspool of disingenuous posts is beyond the pale.

Meh, ignore button is my friend.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
It was a BS hyperbole post by the poster you are defending and its getting lamer by the day. More insults, crazy outlandish claims, gaslighting. If the goal is to alienate a faction of this board that doesn't feel the same way, mission accomplished I guess.

I like to hear others opinions that are different than mine but the bs that some dish out (clearly against forum rules..ie insults after insults) has lowered the iq level around here way too much for my liking. If all you got are insults then you aint got nothing that Im interested in.

The cesspool of disingenuous posts is beyond the pale.

Meh, ignore button is my friend.

Wah, wah. It’s honestly been happening on both sides. There has been insults thrown by a bunch of people, not just on one side or one person. Just because some people try and mask their insults by using big words or being passive aggressive doesn’t mean that they too are not insulting others. So cry me a river lol.

Like you said, hit that ignore button for the people who are bothering you or simply choose not to to reply. But respect is a two way street. Don’t expect to be given respect by posters that you antagonize daily then cry that you’re being insulted.

EDIT* - Case in point, the post directly below this post.

Last edited:

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Oh boy Mitchs fans circle cheering :D

Let's pretend he is great skater or that he attends gym during summer, otherwise his PR team might call you hater :sarcasm:

That's all you Mitch fans/Leafs haters do. Why are you laughing? Do you consider Mitch good skater? Fast skater? Someone in good shape? None of the above but you will call hater anyone pointing out objective reality of Mitch Marner

I don't get were you get your high horse :D :D

He is 170 pounds of scared slow hockey with no shot, but saying it here get's his PR team angry. I really hope he pays you well . Getting cents for hating Leafs . :P:P

• Haha
Reactions: diceman934

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Oh boy Mitchs fans circle cheering :D

Let's pretend he is great skater or that he attends gym during summer, otherwise his PR team might call you hater :sarcasm:

That's all you Mitch fans/Leafs haters do. Why are you laughing? Do you consider Mitch good skater? Fast skater? Someone in good shape? None of the above but you will call hater anyone pointing out objective reality of Mitch Marner

I don't get were you get your high horse :D :D

He is 170 pounds of scared slow hockey with no shot, but saying it here get's his PR team angry. I really hope he pays you well . Getting cents for hating Leafs . :P:P

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: egd27

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Gimmick? They gave away 1 million after skills and 1 million to winning team. Mcdavid kept the million.

For the first time there was a real prize on the line in the all star game and Matthews...with money on the line chose Marner 3rd and after winger Nylander.

such a big gimmick..yet the broadcast didnt seem to be in on it. Matthews oicking Marner was more awkward than anything else. But yea gimmick... just like Marner not producing in the playoffs was becsuse he was injured or goaliws were gods, right Marner fans?

So Matthews would have won the skills competition by drafting the best team? Makes sense.

I am gathering from your post that you think money is the most important thing for these players, so I am assuming you agree that no one should take a discount to help their team win, they should be chasing money.

View attachment 895937

Maroon > McDavid

Team accomplishments are all that matters...............

Also, Sundin is a more beloved Leaf, but I can see it changing.

Marner would be a lot more loved if Matthews didn't exist and he will end up going down as the best Leaf ever.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Gimmick? They gave away 1 million after skills and 1 million to winning team. Mcdavid kept the million.

For the first time there was a real prize on the line in the all star game and Matthews...with money on the line chose Marner 3rd and after winger Nylander.

such a big gimmick..yet the broadcast didnt seem to be in on it. Matthews oicking Marner was more awkward than anything else. But yea gimmick... just like Marner not producing in the playoffs was becsuse he was injured or goaliws were gods, right Marner fans?

Mil? Pffffft... pocket change...

Nice boy, he'll grow into them one day.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Agreed this core has not worked, this whole thread my only issue was the selective fingering and goal post moving to frame one player as the root cause of that failure. Personally I think the coach struggled to coach playoff hockey, I dont think the players were ready or prepared to play playoff hockey, that is on the coach. Each one of the core 4 did not consistently play nearly to the level that they needed to play to, that is on them. The complimentary players at the bottom of the lineup made mistakes that sometimes cost us games. IMO it was the make up of the team from AM all the way down to the bottom player Reaves. The GM was way to focused on one type of player one type of style. I think as much as Vas, Bob and Swayman are elite goalies, we allowed the elite goalies to goalie us vs the goalie just being better. Did Mitch not play to his level of hockey in some series, absolutely. Did AM disappear in some series, yep, was JT a shadow of a former 1st over all pick, yep, did our goalie suck, sometimes yep, ... IMO it was just a cluster of obvious 20/20 hindsight failures that have led to 8 years of the same results.
I don't think anyone is trying to lay all the blame on one person, but there are three people who seem to deserve a larger share.

Dubas absolutely, but he's gone, and things are improving. Keefe certainly seems to be another, but now he is gone too (results pending).

Of the five highest paid players (in order, Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Reilly, and Nylander), Marner seems to be the one who comes through the least when most needed. If it is anticipated that he becomes the second highest paid Leaf, then I think there are legitimate concerns.

Reactions: egd27

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Please clarify, are you referring to games 5,6,7 in the Stanley Cup finals? Or round 1? You are comparing them to Marner so... id assume it was series 1. Cant be too sure with you though.

Just in case your actually crazy enough to compare the finals to round 1:

In the finals, 2x Selke winning, and 2x cup finalist, Barkov shut down 5x art ross trophy, 1x rocket winner Connor McDavid, who also broke Gretzkys record for assists in the playoffs and won the Smythe.

Mitch Marner went out in the first round, likes hes done all years but one. The one time he was in the second round, the series didnt go past game five. (**In case you didnt notice, ive also listed all Mitch Marners achievements like I did Mcdavid and Barkov).
I suggest you take your sarcasm detector in for a tune up if you actually think he was seriously comparing Marner and mcdavid

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
"tried to trade" I think is misleading. If you said were willing to listen to offers that is different.
Makar versus Zadorov ... that's a different story and if anything like Makar was offered would anyone be off-limits?

The Potential for Trade Offers

General managers in the NHL are always open to listening to trade offers, and Brad Treliving is no exception. It’s part of their job to explore different options to improve their team.

It’s crucial to note that, despite the rumours, Treliving has not actively shopped Nylander to the highest bidder. Instead, any talks about Nylander’s future have remained in the exploratory stage.
Forgot about that, Ulf. Thanks for sharing!

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I don't think anyone is trying to lay all the blame on one person, but there are three people who seem to deserve a larger share.

Dubas absolutely, but he's gone, and things are improving. Keefe certainly seems to be another, but now he is gone too (results pending).

Of the five highest paid players (in order, Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Reilly, and Nylander), Marner seems to be the one who comes through the least when most needed. If it is anticipated that he becomes the second highest paid Leaf, then I think there are legitimate concerns.
I mean its not "seems"... Tavares, Nylander and Matthews have all shown up with goals or assists in big games.

Marner has too...but for the other team.

Thats it in a nutshell.

Reactions: AvroArrow

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I mean its not "seems"... Tavares, Nylander and Matthews have all shown up with goals or assists in big games.

Marner has too...but for the other team.

Thats it in a nutshell.
How dare you! Marner is the hardest working, most clutch playoff performer in the league! Always shows up when it matters and leads by example. We should be paying him 11 or even 12+ Mil and have 0 expectations in return! The guy has his own life you know, it would be extremely rude of you to want him to perform up to his contract, what a ridiculous take. Don't you know we're paying him 11M just to be blessed by the presence of a God ? Thou shall not have any expectations or demands from Marner, we should instead get bent over in every negotiation and be happy he graced us with his presence.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Imagine if Marner put in as much effort as his fanboys put in defending him, we'd all be a big happy family right now

Quantify effort? Would a PPG over the last three playoffs be an effort.... sad the lies that some haters want to spread.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Effort not staring blindly at a stat sheet, there is no statistic to measure effort, it's something that requires a person to actually watch the game and see the level of intensity an individual plays with.

So it's an opinion that can't be quantified?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad