Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Drake for weegar?
cant trade drake's contract, at least not until the cap goes a significant amount more. Drake has the best value contract on the team and if we have any hopes of contending we need contracts like his

a move of jensen or zub plus makes more sense from our perspective, but it would require a third team since i doubt calgary wants either

also want to add that i do not want to trade zub at all i am just saying that makes more sense trade wise

Reactions: Relapsing

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
cant trade drake's contract, at least not until the cap goes a significant amount more. Drake has the best value contract on the team and if we have any hopes of contending we need contracts like his

a move of jensen or zub plus makes more sense from our perspective, but it would require a third team since i doubt calgary wants either

also want to add that i do not want to trade zub at all i am just saying that makes more sense trade wise
Devils advocate counter argument could be that Weegar is underpaid and a high value contract too, if you ignore the padding year or two at the end that likely won't be met with similar quality to his play now. His AAV imo is below his actual worth, similar to Drake.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Devils advocate counter argument could be that Weegar is underpaid and a high value contract too, if you ignore the padding year or two at the end that likely won't be met with similar quality to his play now. His AAV imo is below his actual worth, similar to Drake.
honestly thats fair and im not saying not to add him. Im just saying we should be adding to our underpaid/high value contracts not swapping it out

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
honestly thats fair and im not saying not to add him. Im just saying we should be adding to our underpaid/high value contracts not swapping it out
Totally reasonable. I said Hell Yes cuz I'm such a big fan of Weegar, but Drake does have a solid contract. That said, he only has 3 years left on it, so expiry isn't too far off.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Batherson is a 70 plus pt player, why would you trade him for something we already have?
Personally, since I was the emphatic yes, I'll answer that I'd happily swap in Weegar for anyone not named Jake Sanderson.

It's not a realistic hypothetical imo anyways, just spitballing.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Weegar made some sense when we needed a top 4 RD.

After overdrafting Yakemchuk and trading for Jensen, not a ton of reason to trade major assets for another RD, and one who's contract isn't going to age well.

Reactions: OttawaSenators11

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Weegar made some sense when we needed a top 4 RD.

After overdrafting Yakemchuk and trading for Jensen, not a ton of reason to trade major assets for another RD, and one who's contract isn't going to age well.
I don't mean to argue this as if I care or am pushing the idea, but another devils advocate argument to this would be that he will expire at close to the same age as Jensen, so if that were the guy you were replacing, then you'd be upgrading for now, getting 3-4 years younger, and then end up with a similarly aged player and by then, taking a similar percentage of the teams cap as Jensen is now since the cap will rise significantly.

Agree though, doesn't make sense to toss big assets now and the last bit of Weegar's contract probably won't look great.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Hell yes.
If age and contracts didnt exist sure but Weegars contract wont look good the last few years and Drake is on one of the best in the league. I also think he has another level he can get to.

Think Calgary would be looking for futures. Too bad Dorion jumped the gun and burned the assets on redundant useless players for what the sens already had to bring in Debrincat and Chychurn. I always said they did it way too early and here we are. Real opportunities that fill a need are available and the sens dont have the futures to bring them in.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
If age and contracts didnt exist sure but Weegars contract wont look good the last few years and Drake is on one of the best in the league. I also think he has another level he can get to.

Think Calgary would be looking for futures. Too bad Dorion jumped the gun and burned the assets on redundant useless players for what the sens already had to bring in Debrincat and Chychurn. I always said they did it way too early and here we are. Real opportunities that fill a need are available and the sens dont have the futures to bring them in.
I don't disagree with most of what you and the others have said about this hypothetical, but one argument against Drake's contract could be that there isn't a lot of runway left with only 3 years left. Nice contract, but renewal is sort of around the corner. Again though, not saying that's a reason to do it, just a thought.

I'm just a huge Weegar fan. He'd be our 2nd best Dman on day 1 imo.

And yes, Dorion was a doofus who obviously had no business being in charge of an NHL team. I think we're all on the same page with that now.

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I don't disagree with most of what you and the others have said about this hypothetical, but one argument against Drake's contract could be that there isn't a lot of runway left with only 3 years left. Nice contract, but renewal is sort of around the corner. Again though, not saying that's a reason to do it, just a thought.

I'm just a huge Weegar fan. He'd be our 2nd best Dman on day 1 imo.

And yes, Dorion was a doofus who obviously had no business being in charge of an NHL team. I think we're all on the same page with that now.
3 years is alot of runway considering this is when Ottawa's window is opening. They can also end up re-signing him, I am sure he will wanna stick around if they take the next step.

I am a massive Weegar fan too, I have it on good authority he turned down a deal here a few years ago unfortunately. I dont blame him though old ownership and management going to your home city which is alot of added pressure.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
3 years is alot of runway considering this is when Ottawa's window is opening. They can also end up re-signing him, I am sure he will wanna stick around if they take the next step.

I am a massive Weegar fan too, I have it on good authority he turned down a deal here a few years ago unfortunately. I dont blame him though old ownership and management going to your home city which is alot of added pressure.
Ya probably a matter of perspective. 3 years is basically the cut off point where it comes to the forefront of my mind when it's a good value contract and start wondering where it'll go. You're likely looking at losing said value in a significant raise, or watching them leave. But I'm a pessimist in general lol.

Ya I've seen that posted a few times. I believe it. Who would want to have signed on with the buffoons that owned/ran this team. Being his hometown, he may have been even more plugged in to how much it was run like amateur hour without the resources a pro team needs.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Only way trading Bath for Weegar makes sense is if Bath wants out, Weegar is willing to waive for Ottawa, and/or we can't afford Bath's next deal.

At worst case, Bath is a 60-70pt forward right now on a great deal and we need to have a very good return if we're moving him and Weegar on his own isn't cutting it considering Weegar is paid at market value, is on the wrong side of 30, and Batherson still has another gear in him.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Only way trading Bath for Weegar makes sense is if Bath wants out, Weegar is willing to waive for Ottawa, and/or we can't afford Bath's next deal.

At worst case, Bath is a 60-70pt forward right now on a great deal and we need to have a very good return if we're moving him and Weegar on his own isn't cutting it considering Weegar is paid at market value, is on the wrong side of 30, and Batherson still has another gear in him.
Depends what Weegar you're getting. Last years was a steal similar to Drake's, who knows if he can keep up that kind of goal output, but .5 ppg with solid defensive play can be expected. The best dman on the team making 6.25 mil is really cheap isn't it? Especially as the cap rises.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Depends what Weegar you're getting. Last years was a steal similar to Drake's, who knows if he can keep up that kind of goal output, but .5 ppg with solid defensive play can be expected. The best dman on the team making 6.25 mil is really cheap isn't it? Especially as the cap rises.
Weegar would be solid right now and the next couple of years, but it depends on if we rely on his to be a top 2-3 defender for this team after he's 33 (similar to Jensen).

I'd be open to it, but it does seem risky.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Weegar would be solid right now and the next couple of years, but it depends on if we rely on his to be a top 2-3 defender for this team after he's 33 (similar to Jensen).

I'd be open to it, but it does seem risky.
Fair. I guess I was only thinking of the AAV as of today being below his value on the ice, but there is a couple padding years there unlikely to be met well, so that probably was the trade off.

Reactions: bicboi64

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
We just traded our Lefty logjam at D, we don't need to recreate the same issue.

If anything, Ottawa would probably prefer Andersson anyways and he'd be a better fit.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
We just traded our Lefty logjam at D, we don't need to recreate the same issue.

If anything, Ottawa would probably prefer Andersson anyways and he'd be a better fit.
Weegar is a righty, but fair point as he apparently thrives on the left.

Issue with Andersson is his contract. UFA is right around the corner and due for a big raise, but they aren't able to negotiate until next summer, so it'd sort of mirror the DeBrincat trade. That's more of a Pierre Dorion move.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Now if we can get Andersson in a deal for Bath (assuming we have an extension in place), I'd do that in a heart beat. A young RD who is entering his prime, we'd have an amazing D core with

Sandy Zub
Chabot Andersson
Kleven Jensen

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Now if we can get Andersson in a deal for Bath (assuming we have an extension in place), I'd do that in a heart beat. A young RD who is entering his prime, we'd have an amazing D core with

Sandy Zub
Chabot Andersson
Kleven Jensen
I had to look it up and was a bit surprised that Andersson is less than 3 years younger than Weegar, with almost identical NHL miles on those bodies.

Andersson isn't eligible to extend yet, so would need to wait until next summer. Ironically, he would be turning 30 when the big deal kicks in, which is almost the exact same contract trajectory that Weegar had and was criticized. Weegar would have been younger actually. Interesting.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Zub gets hurt. I don’t know if Jensen gets hurt often. We have zero depth on d.

Zero depth on D on either side.

Zub/Jensen get hurt and then one of JBD/Hamonic/Guenette is in our top 4 and two are playing every night.

Sanderson/Chabot/Kleven get hurt and we're playing Roos/Davies or one of JBD/Hamonic/Guenette on their off-side.

Disaster waiting to happen.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Zero depth on D on either side.

Zub/Jensen get hurt and then one of JBD/Hamonic/Guenette is in our top 4 and two are playing every night.

Sanderson/Chabot/Kleven get hurt and we're playing Roos/Davies or one of JBD/Hamonic/Guenette on their off-side.

Disaster waiting to happen.
No depth from Dorion. He wasted everything.

Reactions: NB613

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad