Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Batherson/Weegar doesn't really work. That is a trade they would have had to make at the draft.

It would have to be something like Batherson+Jensen for Weegar and a forward. We're obviously not trading Jensen right after acquiring him.

The team is too locked in now. They aren't moving pieces. We also don't have many futures available. We have to give the league one of our next two first round picks. So there is no real way to protect the pick because if it ends up in the top 10 this year and we keep it, we owe Calgary our pick next year, and then the league gets the top 10 pick this year.

At that point, if we do trade our 1st, we might as well extract the most value possible by giving the team that acquires it the right to choose which 1st they get. Basically, Ottawa trades an unprotected 1st Round Pick to Calgary, Calgary has the option to take the 2025 pick or the 2026 pick, their choice must be made x amount of days before the 2025 draft.

So if you're the acquiring team, you know that you essentially have two chances for Ottawa to crash and burn. If come the 2025 draft, the pick is 19-32, maybe you take your shot on an unprotected 2026 pick, and the 2025 1st goes to the league.

The short of it is, there is no way we can trade for Weegar. That might change later int he season, but it doesn't work now.

Reactions: KnuckChuckinTkachuk

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I had to look it up and was a bit surprised that Andersson is less than 3 years younger than Weegar, with almost identical NHL miles on those bodies.

Andersson isn't eligible to extend yet, so would need to wait until next summer. Ironically, he would be turning 30 when the big deal kicks in, which is almost the exact same contract trajectory that Weegar had and was criticized. Weegar would have been younger actually. Interesting.
Valid, except that we'd get a couple years of Andersson while he's below 30 and has yet to enter the peak that Weegar has.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Valid, except that we'd get a couple years of Andersson while he's below 30 and has yet to enter the peak that Weegar has.
I was thinking that if we'd only acquire him when he's eligible to sign an extension, it'd be next summer, which means 29 at season start, but agreed as that's around a year and a half+ younger than Weegar is now.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
With what? We have no picks, prospects or cap space. This is all because of Dorion. A while is less than a year? Get out. Lol.
FA. PTOs. He needs to add and add smartly.

Maybe you swap one of our forwards for a d man. But that back end if thin. With 2 of the top 4 being very injury prone

We will see if paying a premium for Jensen was smart.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
FA. PTOs. He needs to add and add smartly.

Maybe you swap one of our forwards for a d man. But that back end if thin. With 2 of the top 4 being very injury prone

We will see if paying a premium for Jensen was smart.
Just break the forward depth he just built. Ok.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
If Norris does enough this season to rehab some of his value, Norris for Weegar makes more sense. I don't mean if Norris is the 40+ goal pace center that he was when he got his contract. Good enough that a team could reasonably justify penciling him in as a 2C.

Both contracts would have long term risk to them. The Flames are old down the middle. Sharangovich is a natural winger. Norris would give them a center for the next 5+ years, with some risk. It also sees both teams swap big long term contracts.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
If Norris does enough this season to rehab some of his value, Norris for Weegar makes more sense. I don't mean if Norris is the 40+ goal pace center that he was when he got his contract. Good enough that a team could reasonably justify penciling him in as a 2C.

Both contracts would have long term risk to them. The Flames are old down the middle. Sharangovich is a natural winger. Norris would give them a center for the next 5+ years, with some risk. It also sees both teams swap big long term contracts.
this makes more sense than Batherson

Reactions: gab6511

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
No depth from Dorion. He wasted everything.

We have no assets left to trade for immediate help thanks to him, but that's not an excuse for Staios to not add better depth D in free agency than Filip Roos and Jeremy Davies.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Just break the forward depth he just built. Ok.
Not many teams have great forward AND great defence depth. I would rather have defence depth.

I also don’t think our forward depth is THAT great.

We swapped tarasenko for perron

Kubalik for Amadio (lots thought Kubalik was a great add this time last year)

Kelly and kastelic out for Noah Gregor and Cousins.

I think we certainly got a little better up front. But I would take a hit for some defence.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Not many teams have great forward AND great defence depth. I would rather have defence depth.

I think we certainly got a little better up front. But I would take a hit for some defence.
With team D and Ullmark we’ll be fine. We have young D potential on the way as well.

We are way better spread out up front with all the guys who didn’t give consistent effort gone, and money better spent.

3 cup vets who play relentless hockey is a huge upgrade on Joseph, Kastelic, and Kelly.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

The bigger impact to our forward depth is Pinto won't be suspended half the year. There's also the possibility Norris' shoulder is finally fixed. Greig being a year older helps too.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
We have no assets left to trade for immediate help thanks to him, but that's not an excuse for Staios to not add better depth D in free agency than Filip Roos and Jeremy Davies.
With what cap?

If he worked on the defence and not the forwards you'd bitch about that.

Reactions: Dionysus

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

Lots is people thought Kubalik was a good add- I guess the same people who saw Matt Murray looking malnourished and homeless and thought “he’ll solve all our problems”

Sens depth won’t come from adding more 3rd liners, itll come from Sandy and Chabot playing like Norris contenders, Batherson and Norris playing like All Stars, Tkachuk and Stutzle being top 20 in scoring - our big guys have to get going and when they do they can carry the team, no 3rd or 4th liner is going to change anything if our core group we built around isn’t ready to lead for 60 minutes over 82 games and show up for every shift / depth comes from your best player doing it 2 way every shift all season and not from 4th line energy.

Instead of mining for a forward who can score 15-20 Goals or a Dman who can get 25 points our depth needs to come from Stu scoring 40, Batherson getting 75 points, Sandy and Chabot getting 50 points, Greig and Perron scoring 20.

This season is all about the big guys stepping up and showing us they are the real deal

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
D depth is an interesting question,

On the left. Sanderson and Chabot are clearly top 4 caliber D and slotted appropriately imo. We should be fine there. Kleven looks ready to me for the 3rd pair, but is unproven.

On the right, Zub and Jensen should be good to fill out the top 4. That last spot goes to one of JBD, Hamonic, Guenette, or Mantipalo. The later two looked close to being ready last year, but not quite there. Hamonic was not good enough, hopefully whatever nagging injuries he had are all healed up and he's capable of giving us some good mins.

I'm curious to see how Andonovski does in camp. I don't expect him to be ready, but he might open some eyes. Donovan is another guy I'll be watching to see how he looks against stronger competition.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Dorion has been gone for a while. So far staios swapped on d for another. Needs to add
Less than a year and he depleted the prospect pool and pushed the team against the cap with no flexibility. Do you plan on applying any context to your negative opinions on new management?

Yeah except Norris unfortunately has negative value. Let alone trading him for an elite d man. The only way Norris returns Weegar is pre injury. His contract is too big and too long with his injury history.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Lots is people thought Kubalik was a good add- I guess the same people who saw Matt Murray looking malnourished and homeless and thought “he’ll solve all our problems”

Sens depth won’t come from adding more 3rd liners, itll come from Sandy and Chabot playing like Norris contenders, Batherson and Norris playing like All Stars, Tkachuk and Stutzle being top 20 in scoring - our big guys have to get going and when they do they can carry the team, no 3rd or 4th liner is going to change anything if our core group we built around isn’t ready to lead for 60 minutes over 82 games and show up for every shift / depth comes from your best player doing it 2 way every shift all season and not from 4th line energy.

Instead of mining for a forward who can score 15-20 Goals or a Dman who can get 25 points our depth needs to come from Stu scoring 40, Batherson getting 75 points, Sandy and Chabot getting 50 points, Greig and Perron scoring 20.

This season is all about the big guys stepping up and showing us they are the real deal
This is correct the core players have to continue to improve it is paramount. But the team also needs to build an identity and have a full buy in. Each player needs a role and a job, this is something I don't think they have had since the Boucher era. The way the roster has been built its been done with purpose. I think Green will have players playing to their strengths. If they are going to be good they will have to be more than a sum of their parts consistently showing up and competing. That's what's plagued this group, one night they look like a contender the next night a team that's in the lottery. I think Staios identified this and got rid of alot of the players that were jeckl and Hyde. Like Joseph, Kastelic, Chychrun and Korpisalo.

Reactions: LiseL

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
At this point, we need to give the new coaching staff at least 40 games to see how they feel about the roster. Who fits, who doesn't, and where are the holes that that we (hopefully) have the answer in nets.
40?!

Less than a year and he depleted the prospect pool and pushed the team against the cap with no flexibility. Do you plan on applying any context to your negative opinions on new management?

Yeah except Norris unfortunately has negative value. Let alone trading him for an elite d man. The only way Norris returns Weegar is pre injury. His contract is too big and too long with his injury history.
There were no negative comments in my last few posts.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
With what cap?

Don't need much cap to add some cheap D depth.

I would have preferred guys like Fleury, Mahura, Ruhwedel, Bortuzzo than Roos/Davies.

All cost around league minimum and, while they aren't long-term solutions by any means, they have played games in the league and are better than Roos/Davies.

Going bargain bin shopping via trade would have been fine too. Kovacevic and Coghlan would have been good competition at RD and cost very little.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Don't need much cap to add some cheap D depth.

I would have preferred guys like Fleury, Mahura, Ruhwedel, Bortuzzo than Roos/Davies.

All cost around league minimum and, while they aren't long-term solutions by any means, have played games in the league and are better than Roos/Davies.

Going bargain bin shopping via trade would have been fine too. Kovacevic and Coghlan would have been good competition at RD and cost very little.
Roos and Davies are Belleville signings though. They are probably not playing in Ottawa.

I suspect we're going to sign a PTO or two and give the better of the two a contract to start the year,

Maybe a guy like Tinordi, Shattenkirk, or Dermott, maybe Giordano if he isn't retiring.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Roos and Davies are Belleville signings though. They are probably not playing in Ottawa.

I suspect we're going to sign a PTO or two and give the better of the two a contract to start the year,

Maybe a guy like Tinordi, Shattenkirk, or Dermott.

They are the 4th and 5th best left-handed D in the organization, assuming Donovan still needs a bit of time.

That means a single injury to Sanderson, Kleven or Chabot (who can't stay healthy) and one of them is getting NHL ice time, or we're playing JBD/Hamonic/Guenette on their off-side.

Should have signed better LD to be the top guys in Belleville. Guys that aren't good enough to get one-way contracts but are good enough to fill in if injuries hit.

I'm fine with a PTO at RD to provide some competition to JBD, Hamonic and Guenette, but I think we need to sign a LD just as insurance behind Kleven.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad