Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Kulemin is a weird PTO, but you have to understand that a PTO isn't a contract. They are bringing him in to set the tone. He also has been an effective play in the KHL, which is still a reasonably high end pro-league. It's not like he has been sitting on his couch for 10 years. They want veterans around who have been there so to speak. It makes complete sense to bring in a guy with his pedigree, who is going to claw the eyes out of a hotshit 22 year old Swedish rookie to try and earn a contract and stay in pro hockey for another month.

They need competition for spots. If Hamonic is in, they have 2 D spots between Kleven, JBD, and Guennette - if Hamonic is out, they have 3 spots between those 3. Either way, that's not a lot of competition, especially since Kleven is waiver exempt, which means that he probably needs to blow away Guennette or JBD to get one of those 2 spots.

Reactions: PlayersLtd

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Addison will very likely beat out JBD and Hamonic, based on play at least.

I don't see it, unless they need a PP QB, or he learned to play a two way game...

It wouldn't surprise me to see them offer him a 2-way contract or AHL contract. Seems like the perfect guy to bring in for Belleville, considering the turnover they had on D.

JBD isn't great, but he is better than Addison for the role that they need filled. It's not like there is an abundant of great NHL defensemen available for PTOs, so I don't think people should read into it too much, like Addison is this big get who they have plans for. He's extra competition.

Maybe they have a mutual plan for how to deal with Hamonic. Like putting him on waivers, contingent on him not having to report to Belleville - or maybe he will fail his physical and go to MacArthur cove.

Maybe I am reading too much into things, but I think the type of person who pushes for term and a NMC as a #6D probably would welcome being paid to hang out with his family when there is no real upside to playing the season. I don't say this to be a jerk, but I think it's clear that the likelihood of him parlaying this season into anything other than being a journeyman pro is unlikely, and I doubt he wants to bounce around the NHL year-to-year, let alone have to bounce around the AHL, or overseas. So I could see him retiring at the end of the season.

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
Not sure if sending a guy with mental health difficulties to one of the most intense and scrupulous hockey markets on the continent is the right play.

I'm rooting for Patrik though.
Right now their fan base have very low expectations from the club in the upcoming year or two. Management clearly knows this, so they've made a low risk high reward play again in hopes it works out for them for a later flip at the TDL or even better, he turns the corner and becomes a 30-40 goal scorer ppg roster player. At worst, he tanks there too and they just let him walk in two years and they have an extra 2nd in their arsenal. It was a smart short term play on their part, when the pressure on the club to perform and compete is still very low.

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
I don't see it, unless they need a PP QB, or he learned to play a two way game...

It wouldn't surprise me to see them offer him a 2-way contract or AHL contract. Seems like the perfect guy to bring in for Belleville, considering the turnover they had on D.

JBD isn't great, but he is better than Addison for the role that they need filled. It's not like there is an abundant of great NHL defensemen available for PTOs, so I don't think people should read into it too much, like Addison is this big get who they have plans for. He's extra competition.

Maybe they have a mutual plan for how to deal with Hamonic. Like putting him on waivers, contingent on him not having to report to Belleville - or maybe he will fail his physical and go to MacArthur cove.

Maybe I am reading too much into things, but I think the type of person who pushes for term and a NMC as a #6D probably would welcome being paid to hang out with his family when there is no real upside to playing the season. I don't say this to be a jerk, but I think it's clear that the likelihood of him parlaying this season into anything other than being a journeyman pro is unlikely, and I doubt he wants to bounce around the NHL year-to-year, let alone have to bounce around the AHL, or overseas. So I could see him retiring at the end of the season.
Is "MacArthur Cove" part of the Rideau Lakes??

It sounds quite nice.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
They got the donuts? Excellent....
Kulemin is a weird PTO, but you have to understand that a PTO isn't a contract. They are bringing him in to set the tone. He also has been an effective play in the KHL, which is still a reasonably high end pro-league. It's not like he has been sitting on his couch for 10 years. They want veterans around who have been there so to speak. It makes complete sense to bring in a guy with his pedigree, who is going to claw the eyes out of a hotshit 22 year old Swedish rookie

When did we get a hotshit 22 year old Swedish rookie?

Is "MacArthur Cove" part of the Rideau Lakes??

It sounds quite nice.

Part of the Rideau River near Manotick.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Don't need much cap to add some cheap D depth.

I would have preferred guys like Fleury, Mahura, Ruhwedel, Bortuzzo than Roos/Davies.

All cost around league minimum and, while they aren't long-term solutions by any means, they have played games in the league and are better than Roos/Davies.

Going bargain bin shopping via trade would have been fine too. Kovacevic and Coghlan would have been good competition at RD and cost very little.

I agree somewhat. I would have also liked to replace the Cousins signing with a veteran D who could compete for a 3rd pairing spot.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
With the addition of Addison RD, if he makes the team means more competition on the right side. Sanderson LD, Chabot LD & Kleven LD IMO pretty much have those three left side spots sown up with Davies & Roos as depth on the left side in Belleville.

On the right side Zub & Jensen will be on the team & Hamonic RD , JBD RD, Guennette RD & Addison RD will fight it out for the 6th & 7th spot. Guennette could still go back to Belleville, but JBD & Hamonic are waiver elligble & I'm not sure they would wave JBD given he is young & they have spent $$$ developing him. Hamonic & Addison could be waved & I would be surprised if anyone picked up either. I view Addison as more depth on the right side.

Reactions: bert

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
With the addition of Addison RD, if he makes the team means more competition on the right side. Sanderson LD, Chabot LD & Kleven LD IMO pretty much have those three left side spots sown up with Davies & Roos as depth on the left side in Belleville.

On the right side Zub & Jensen will be on the team & Hamonic RD , JBD RD, Guennette RD & Addison RD will fight it out for the 6th & 7th spot. Guennette could still go back to Belleville, but JBD & Hamonic are waiver elligble & I'm not sure they would wave JBD given he is young & they have spent $$$ developing him. Hamonic & Addison could be waved & I would be surprised if anyone picked up either. I view Addison as more depth on the right side.
Hamonic has a No Movement Clause. He cannot be traded, sent to minors or waived without his approval.

Reactions: bert

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Can you help please? Aragorn post confuses me. Who plays RD and who plays LD? Thanks.
I think his 1st paragraph listed LDs (Sanderson, Chabot, Kleven).

His 2nd paragraph listed RDs. I believe he is suggesting that several of the listed RDs (JBD, Hamonic, Guenette & Addison) will fight it out for the bottom pair RD position.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008

Guenette requires waivers to go to the AHL.

The team waived Bernard-Docker last year and were trying to move him at the deadline and the draft, so I doubt they're attached to him. I don't think it would be surprising to see him waived again if he doesn't have a good camp.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
I think his 1st paragraph listed LDs (Sanderson, Chabot, Kleven).

His 2nd paragraph listed RDs. I believe he is suggesting that several of the listed RDs (JBD, Hamonic, Guenette & Addison) will fight it out for the bottom pair RD position.
...so LDs first and RDs second. Who's on third?

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Guenette requires waivers to go to the AHL.

The team waived Bernard-Docker last year and were trying to move him at the deadline and the draft, so I doubt they're attached to him. I don't think it would be surprising to see him waived again if he doesn't have a good camp.

I think that if he Guenette or JBD are genuinely outplayed by Kleven or someone else, they will go on waivers.

If it is anywhere close to a tie, even if JBD is slightly behind Kleven, I think that Kleven goes down. They can't risk losing defensive depth. JBD will probably clear, but it isn't guaranteed. Part of why he cleared last season was because he had 2 years of term at 1-way money, and he was more of a question mark. After playing in the NHL for a big chunk of the season, the Senators encountered a situation where they couldn't risk putting him on waivers because his stock had risen.

It's easier to push players through during training camp because so few teams have spots, but it is never guaranteed that a player will go unclaimed. Circumstances change quickly with injuries. Even Lassi Thomson was claimed last year (HE WAS CLAIMED TWICE, what a stud).

They won't want to put themselves in a situation where if they have 1-2 injuries on D, all of a sudden Hamonic or whoever this year's version of Dylan Heatherington is will have to play as our #5 or #6.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
I think that if he Guenette or JBD are genuinely outplayed by Kleven or someone else, they will go on waivers.

If it is anywhere close to a tie, even if JBD is slightly behind Kleven, I think that Kleven goes down. They can't risk losing defensive depth. JBD will probably clear, but it isn't guaranteed. Part of why he cleared last season was because he had 2 years of term at 1-way money, and he was more of a question mark. After playing in the NHL for a big chunk of the season, the Senators encountered a situation where they couldn't risk putting him on waivers because his stock had risen.

It's easier to push players through during training camp because so few teams have spots, but it is never guaranteed that a player will go unclaimed. Circumstances change quickly with injuries. Even Lassi Thomson was claimed last year (HE WAS CLAIMED TWICE, what a stud).

They won't want to put themselves in a situation where if they have 1-2 injuries on D, all of a sudden Hamonic or whoever this year's version of Dylan Heatherington is will have to play as our #5 or #6.
Kleven is a LD, JBD, Guenette and Hamonic are RD.

Kleven is really the only option for 3rd pairing LD at the moment. The other three plus Adisson will battle for 3rd pairing RD and 7th dman positions.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Kleven is a LD, JBD, Guenette and Hamonic are RD.

Kleven is really the only option for 3rd pairing LD at the moment. The other three plus Adisson will battle for 3rd pairing RD and 7th dman positions.

It is not outlandish for a team to play a bottom pairing D on their offside.

In addition to that, Sanderson and Chabot will probably play almost the entire game on the left side. Depending on how Travis Green chooses to deploy them, we're probably looking at Sanderson and Chabot on the ice for a combined 50-55 minutes of the game. Chabot has averaged 24 minutes a night in his career, and while Sanderson only played 23 last year, he is on his way to being one of those franchise all situation type defensemen and will probably play 25-28 minutes in his prime.

So it's probably not a traditional LHD spot where whoever gets it can expect 17 minutes a night. The way I see our deployment working is probably closer to 2 LHD, and 4 RHD than 3/3. Whoever ends up taking those offside minutes, there won't be many of them.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

In addition to that, Sanderson and Chabot will probably play almost the entire game on the left side. Depending on how Travis Green chooses to deploy them, we're probably looking at Sanderson and Chabot on the ice for a combined 50-55 minutes of the game. Chabot has averaged 24 minutes a night in his career, and while Sanderson only played 23 last year, he is on his way to being one of those franchise all situation type defensemen and will probably play 25-28 minutes in his prime.

So it's probably not a traditional LHD spot where whoever gets it can expect 17 minutes a night. The way I see our deployment working is probably closer to 2 LHD, and 4 RHD than 3/3. Whoever ends up taking those offside minutes, there won't be many of them.
Watching Kleven last year on top of hearing Staios talk about the D core I dont see any scenario he isnt playing on this team. He stated he was ready last year but they wanted him to get lots of reps. At the end of the year when they are out of it, I specifically watch players when I am at the games and he was one of the players I focused on, he is good. Amazing gap control and skating, really good stick. The thing that suprised me were his puck skills and patience. He made a few first passes where he waited out a forchecker then snapped it on the tape. Was expecting him to basically be an off the glass or D to D guy at this point. Apparently he had a big summer, I am expecting him to take another step.

The true competition is for the 3rd pair RHD spot. 5 guys fighting for it more or less. I expect JBD to win it but we will see.

It would not surprise me if Kleven ends up on a matchup shut down pair with either Jensen or Zub by the end of the season. He's a way better defender than Chabot. I really dont think they will run it the way you described. In a perfect world he is first PK and logs around 18 minutes a night.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019

If for whatever reason Kleven isn't ready than we will get a LHD off waivers (or give the spot to Heatherington) before Harmonic, JBD or Guenette play their off side.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Watching Kleven last year on top of hearing Staios talk about the D core I dont see any scenario he isnt playing on this team. He stated he was ready last year but they wanted him to get lots of reps. At the end of the year when they are out of it, I specifically watch players when I am at the games and he was one of the players I focused on, he is good. Amazing gap control and skating, really good stick. The thing that suprised me were his puck skills and patience. He made a few first passes where he waited out a forchecker then snapped it on the tape. Was expecting him to basically be an off the glass or D to D guy at this point. Apparently he had a big summer, I am expecting him to take another step.

The true competition is for the 3rd pair RHD spot. 5 guys fighting for it more or less. I expect JBD to win it but we will see.

It would not surprise me if Kleven ends up on a matchup shut down pair with either Jensen or Zub by the end of the season. He's a way better defender than Chabot. I really dont think they will run it the way you described. In a perfect world he is first PK and logs around 18 minutes a night.
That’s what I noticed as well. I think his offensive game and puck moving skills may be a tad underrated by some. I think stereotyping could be a factor at work here. The idea that some may have is that he is big, and therefore he must be a defensive defenseman. If someone like Addison is to make the team, it will not be because they think that he needs to fill a relative weakness in Kleven’s puck moving capabilities.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad