Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
It would be a waste to play a talent like that on the 3rd line. We don't know as yet what will happen this year but I would be surprised if Tavares isn't still the 2c.

Marner wasn't eligible to be signed until this year, it's not the same thing.

He distracts the needy with his bad teeth while he's stealing from them.
Okay, what am I missing? Matthews and Nylander signed their new contracts while still having one year left on their previous contract, and it was a priority to get them signed last summer, Marner has one year remaining on his, but he has not yet been resigned, so why has it not been a priority to get him signed then?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Okay, what am I missing? Matthews and Nylander signed their new contracts while still having one year left on their previous contract, and it was a priority to get them signed last summer, Marner has one year remaining on his, but he has not yet been resigned, so why has it not been a priority to get him signed then?
We don't know that it isn't a priority or that the other two were a priority.
Did Nylander and Matthews sign in July?

Reactions: Confucius

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
But aren’t you proving Mess’ point by that comment?
I suggest you dont bother with @ACC1224 .... He just attacks posters. Hes too far gone and obsessed with Marner. I recall reading one his posts in a different thread where he was being critical of Nylander for not hitting players. Yes really... a Marner obsessed fan, being critical of another player for NOT PLAYING PHYSICAL.

Just an indication of how high the level of delusion is.

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
Agreed this core has not worked, this whole thread my only issue was the selective fingering and goal post moving to frame one player as the root cause of that failure. Personally I think the coach struggled to coach playoff hockey, I dont think the players were ready or prepared to play playoff hockey, that is on the coach. Each one of the core 4 did not consistently play nearly to the level that they needed to play to, that is on them. The complimentary players at the bottom of the lineup made mistakes that sometimes cost us games. IMO it was the make up of the team from AM all the way down to the bottom player Reaves. The GM was way to focused on one type of player one type of style. I think as much as Vas, Bob and Swayman are elite goalies, we allowed the elite goalies to goalie us vs the goalie just being better. Did Mitch not play to his level of hockey in some series, absolutely. Did AM disappear in some series, yep, was JT a shadow of a former 1st over all pick, yep, did our goalie suck, sometimes yep, ... IMO it was just a cluster of obvious 20/20 hindsight failures that have led to 8 years of the same results.

The charity is a ruse.. that is why he did not allow any media into his fake charity golf tournament ... I wonder if his diet consists of carrots only...

Slow Mo of the Leafs Sports Nutritionist feeding Mitch his post game meal

giphy.gif
I think Dubas, and especially Shanahan, are responsible for that happening. They should have either fired Keefe or broke up the core. I think it’s on the players to show up and “be on time”, especially in the playoffs. With this core, that was a pattern we kept seeing not happen in the playoffs. So again, either fire the coach or break up the core, or do both.

We don't know that it isn't a priority or that the other two were a priority.
Did Nylander and Matthews sign in July?
Wasn’t that what Tre said was the top priority last summer?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Nylander signed 39 games into the last season of his contract. There is time for Marner. I just hope Tre learned something and grew a spine if the Leafs decide to run it back again. Now that takes balls.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I think Dubas, and especially Shanahan, are responsible for that happening. They should have either fired Keefe or broke up the core. I think it’s on the players to show up and “be on time”, especially in the playoffs. With this core, that was a pattern we kept seeing not happen in the playoffs. So again, either fire the coach or break up the core, or do both.

Wasn’t that what Tre said was the top priority last summer?
No idea but I wouldn't put too much stock in what they say, for a priority it took a long time to get it done. I'm sure it was something they wanted to get done then, not announcing it now doesn't mean that it's not. They also tried to trade Nylander, so there is that.
The whole narrative around the Team is much different this summer than it was last summer. Their comments certainly reflect that but they aren't obligated to say what they mean.

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
No idea but I wouldn't put too much stock in what they say, for a priority it took a long time to get it done. I'm sure it was something they wanted to get done then, not announcing it now doesn't mean that it's not. They also tried to trade Nylander, so there is that.
The whole narrative around the Team is much different this summer than it was last summer. Their comments certainly reflect that but they aren't obligated to say what they mean.
Yes, that is true.

Nylander signed 39 games into the last season of his contract. There is time for Marner. I just hope Tre learned something and grew a spine if the Leafs decide to run it back again. Now that takes balls.
Oh yes, that’s right, Nylander resigned during the season. I forgot about that. Thanks

Reactions: ACC1224

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

"tried to trade" I think is misleading. If you said were willing to listen to offers that is different.
Makar versus Zadorov ... that's a different story and if anything like Makar was offered would anyone be off-limits?

The Potential for Trade Offers

General managers in the NHL are always open to listening to trade offers, and Brad Treliving is no exception. It’s part of their job to explore different options to improve their team.

It’s crucial to note that, despite the rumours, Treliving has not actively shopped Nylander to the highest bidder. Instead, any talks about Nylander’s future have remained in the exploratory stage.

Reactions: Captain Crunch

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
We've learned in this thread that he is not good defensively, although he has had Selke votes for 5 years straight and played defence for a shift or two....

Maybe if he ate better he could play goal too?
Do you think a center and winger have the same amount of reaponsibility on the ice?

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Are we really reading into something that was 100% scripted for entertainment and TV purposes?

The All-Star draft is predetermined and then scripted based on what will make compelling TV. Producers understand that the idea of Matthews maybe not choosing Mitch will draw ratings and be a bigger story line. You won’t get that same draw if Marner was the first pick, that’s a very predictable thing to happen.
The mindset of Marner fans:

He doesnt produce in the playoffs:
- hes obviously injured
- his linemates arent scoring on ALL his setups
- the goalie went god mode

He gets picked 3rd in all star game by Matthews:
- Obviously its scripted

He doesnt score goals:
- lol hes a playmaker, they dont score goals (meanwhile Kucherov had 44 g and 100 a)

Not delusional at all

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
"tried to trade" I think is misleading. If you said were willing to listen to offers that is different.
Makar versus Zadorov ... that's a different story and if anything like Makar was offered would anyone be off-limits?

Sakic would be admitted to an insane asylum and the other GM would have a statue of himself and his entire family erected in front of his rink. How Makar has not won the Norris every year is beyond me. As good as McDavid is as a forward, Makar is as good or better as a d-man. I'd trade the entire core 4 for him in a heart beat. The conversation shoudl go

Sakic: Tree... Makar is available.
Tree: Take my wife!

- hes obviously injured

- Obviously its scripted

He doesnt score goals:
- lol hes a playmaker, they dont score goals (meanwhile Kucherov had 44 g and 100 a)

Not delusional at all

Ever watch the movie Deliverance?

Do you think a center and winger have the same amount of reaponsibility on the ice?

Nope..

• Haha
Reactions: ULF_55

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Sakic would be admitted to an insane asylum and the other GM would have a statue of himself and his entire family erected in front of his rink. How Makar has not won the Norris every year is beyond me. As good as McDavid is as a forward, Makar is as good or better as a d-man. I'd trade the entire core 4 for him in a heart beat. The conversation shoudl go

Sakic: Tree... Makar is available.
Tree: Take my wife!

Ever watch the movie Deliverance?

Nope..
Just nope... jee thats a short post. Usually you write alot. Any particular reason your so short on this specific question?

Good start though...
You dont think they have the same responsibilities? Okay.

Who has more responsibilities a center or a winger?

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Just nope... jee thats a short post. Usually you write alot. Any particular reason your so short on this specific question?

Good start though...
You dont think they have the same responsibilities? Okay.

Who has more responsibilities a center or a winger?

I like the new you, instead of blurting out verbal diarrhea, you are clearly trying to learn the game from someone, who obviously, knows more than you and is obviously more modest and handsome. They say smart people ask a lot of questions. Did you know this? Why did you change your approach? Do you think Carrie and Mr. Big will ever get married? Why do most people pick the #37 when you ask them to pick a number between 1 and 100?

Obviously a goalie ....

I’m hosting a deliverance re-enactment if you are interested. It’s like the Civil War ones but with more squealing

Bwhahahhaaa.... (crosses legs and looks behind him)

Last edited:
Reactions: egd27

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Based on comparable career shapes, he is on a HOF career pace, I get you have an unusual fixation and a red hot hatred of a man you've never met, which blinds you to common sense, his first 8 years is comparable to some all time ELITE greats (Similarity score) HOFer's Peter Stastny, Dale Hawerchuk, Cy Denneny, Peter Forsberg, Luc Robitaille, Marcel Dionne, when you are mentioned in the same breath as those players, WOW he must be doing something right.. lots of numbers here but I think we can all agree, Mitch is a great player, we are lucky to have him.

Did you know McDavid is on the trading block, zero points in Games 6 and 7, apparently if you don't perform in the biggest games, it's the law that you have to be traded. Barkov? 1 point in games 5, 6, 7... clearly the poster boy for suck-a-tude ... he sucks and must be relegated to the AHL ... who would want those two losers, not performing in the biggest games of their career? Clearly judging a player on a small sample size, be it 3 games or 15 games is the way to go.
Please clarify, are you referring to games 5,6,7 in the Stanley Cup finals? Or round 1? You are comparing them to Marner so... id assume it was series 1. Cant be too sure with you though.

Just in case your actually crazy enough to compare the finals to round 1:

In the finals, 2x Selke winning, and 2x cup finalist, Barkov shut down 5x art ross trophy, 1x rocket winner Connor McDavid, who also broke Gretzkys record for assists in the playoffs and won the Smythe.

Mitch Marner went out in the first round, likes hes done all years but one. The one time he was in the second round, the series didnt go past game five. (**In case you didnt notice, ive also listed all Mitch Marners achievements like I did Mcdavid and Barkov).

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

- hes obviously injured

- Obviously its scripted

He doesnt score goals:

Not delusional at all

You have the audacity to call me delusional yet you think where you are selected in a gimmick all star games means anything. LMAO this place is bat shit crazy. I think this might be the post that does it in for me.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Every time I come into this thread I see the same posters on each page, every day on both sides.

Haven’t you guys gotten bored yet? Lol

Some of you should apply for Mitch’s PR firm. The amount of hours you put in, it could at least be a part time job.
Im sure a few already are.

Reactions: HolyCrap

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Who did this? and by some you are suggesting more than one person.....links?
All the idiocy is grouped together, hence the 'some'
We've seen his teeth, wife, dog, stealing from the needy and the latest stupidity, where he was picked in the All Star game all as reasons why he must leave.
I know there are more but those are the real dumb ones off the top of my head.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
You have the audacity to call me delusional yet you think where you are selected in a gimmick all star games means anything. LMAO this place is bat shit crazy. I think this might be the post that does it in for me.
Gimmick? They gave away 1 million after skills and 1 million to winning team. Mcdavid kept the million.

For the first time there was a real prize on the line in the all star game and Matthews...with money on the line chose Marner 3rd and after winger Nylander.

such a big gimmick..yet the broadcast didnt seem to be in on it. Matthews oicking Marner was more awkward than anything else. But yea gimmick... just like Marner not producing in the playoffs was becsuse he was injured or goaliws were gods, right Marner fans?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Gimmick? They gave away 1 million after skills and 1 million to winning team. if your boss said we are going to do a challenge and give 10,000 to the winner (assuming 100,00 paycheck) would everyone consider it a gimmick?

Pretty hefty amount of money on the line, not to mention adding to your NHL resume as a All Star performer and Matthews picked Marner 3rd...and after Nylander.

The whole all-star draft is a produced televised event. Do you understand how TV works? Do you think any TV company/broadcast would just let the players go up there and do whatever they want?

Even the NHL draft has elements that are produced and planned out to make it entertaining. It’s not produced to the same extent as the All-Star game draft. Picks are submitted a few minutes prior electronically. But with the All-Star Draft after the whole Kessel fiasco, the captains pre select and the producers take over after to make the live selections entertaining. Morgan Rielly went on overdrive a few hours before the draft and admitted they have the selections done, everyone just has to wait and see what they do.

I don’t understand how you wouldn’t know this as a sports fan and if you actually believe it’s all real and not produced rogers did a damn good job tricking you lol.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
When both Marner and Domi were teammates and linemates on London neither was the centre as that role went to Christian Dvorak.

View attachment 895890

View attachment 895892

After Domi graduated to the NHL Matthew Tkachuk took his spot on LW and they went on to win the memorial Cup.

View attachment 895893

View attachment 895894

FWIW: The London Knights tried Marner at centre for a short period of time after he was drafted by the Leafs but the experiment didn't last long. Mark Hunter when drafting Marner for the Leafs attempted to defend the selection of a soft small winger suggesting he would be a future NHL centre but we all have seen how that turned out.
YUP... watch Marner fans call it a gimmick now. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad