Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Yup, might be at the top of the list of just asinine suggestions tbh. Anyone that takes what happens in an allstar draft as an indication of how players feel about each other, probably doesn’t understand how TV works or understand the entertainment business.
It’s really hard to figure some of these people out. Maybe it’s a crazy recruitment tactic? It’s ok to not like a player, you don’t need to constantly make up lies about them.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
He is an elite forward, has the defensive acumen, has the passing ability but not sure if I see Marner as a Center. Interesting idea though, it would solve the hole opened with JT moving on in a year... Domi in a very small sample size looks like he fits well with AM. Marner at center could at Cowan under wing (pun intended :) ) . Very interesting suggestion.

Unless he's terrible at faceoffs or something, Marner would appear to be an ideal candidate for a center.

Playmaking from the center gives him more options, he's defensively responsible, and would end up in the corner less often. In the past a lot of smallish players were moved to center for the same reasons.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
He is an elite forward, has the defensive acumen, has the passing ability but not sure if I see Marner as a Center. Interesting idea though, it would solve the hole opened with JT moving on in a year... Domi in a very small sample size looks like he fits well with AM. Marner at center could at Cowan under wing (pun intended :) ) . Very interesting suggestion.
When both Marner and Domi were teammates and linemates on London neither was the centre as that role went to Christian Dvorak.

1721394352359.png

1721394590171.png

After Domi graduated to the NHL Matthew Tkachuk took his spot on LW and they went on to win the memorial Cup.

1721394737331.png

1721394830066.png

FWIW: The London Knights tried Marner at centre for a short period of time after he was drafted by the Leafs but the experiment didn't last long. Mark Hunter when drafting Marner for the Leafs attempted to defend the selection of a soft small winger suggesting he would be a future NHL centre but we all have seen how that turned out.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
When both Marner and Domi were teammates and linemates on London neither was the centre as that role went to Christian Dvorak.

View attachment 895890

View attachment 895892

After Domi graduated to the NHL Matthew Tkachuk took his spot on LW and they went on to win the memorial Cup.

View attachment 895893

View attachment 895894

FWIW: The London Knights tried Marner at centre for a shot period of time after he was drafted by the Leafs but the experiment didn't last long. Mark Hunter when drafting Marner for the Leafs attempted to defend the selection of a soft small winger suggesting he would be a future NHL centre but we all have seen how that turned out.
We haven't seen how it 'turned out'. He's never played Centre in the NHL, he's played some Defense though.

Reactions: keonsbitterness

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
I attribute it to poor leadership (coaching), I guess we will see this year to be certain.
Yes, and it might also have something to do with this core, who have continually failed to get past the first round, save for one year that they beat Tampa but then promptly got bounced by Florida in the next round.

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
The other 3 captains didn’t have 3 teammates. I’m not sure the point you’re making. You think Matthews picked Marner last because he likes him the least? In the post draft interview Matthews and Rielly said they did it to make Marner sweat a little bit. It was a prank, good for TV moment.
So what? McDavid had Draisaitl. Anyway, I know that it was not intentional. I just like stirring the pot sometimes.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
There's a reason Nylander has been tried at center in the NHL and Marner hasn't. You don't want Mitch playing C, that'd be a very bad thing.

Reactions: thewave

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Based on comparable career shapes, he is on a HOF career pace, I get you have an unusual fixation and a red hot hatred of a man you've never met, which blinds you to common sense, his first 8 years is comparable to some all time ELITE greats (Similarity score) HOFer's Peter Stastny, Dale Hawerchuk, Cy Denneny, Peter Forsberg, Luc Robitaille, Marcel Dionne, when you are mentioned in the same breath as those players, WOW he must be doing something right.. lots of numbers here but I think we can all agree, Mitch is a great player, we are lucky to have him.

Did you know McDavid is on the trading block, zero points in Games 6 and 7, apparently if you don't perform in the biggest games, it's the law that you have to be traded. Barkov? 1 point in games 5, 6, 7... clearly the poster boy for suck-a-tude ... he sucks and must be relegated to the AHL ... who would want those two losers, not performing in the biggest games of their career? Clearly judging a player on a small sample size, be it 3 games or 15 games is the way to go.

Mcdavid just set a record for production in the playoffs and You REALLY are comparing him to Marner?

It really dont get more dumb or delusional than your post.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Interesting.

More throwing shade when the substative elements MUST be brushed over because there is no way to intelligently support your arguments.

Sad

Perhaps challenge yourself, maybe there isn't just two possible types of people debating the point against the Mob.

Which specific arguments have not been intelligently supported?

Last edited:
Reactions: Metroid

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Mcdavid just set a record for production in the playoffs and You REALLY are comparing him to Marner?

It really dont get more dumb or delusional than your post.

WOAH!!!! We all know that games 1 through 4 do not count... oh wait it does for everyone else but Mitch, did you know he is above a PPG average in games 1 through 4. I love this, moving goal post argument. Games 1 through 4 dont matter?

Can you win a 7 game series if you dont win at least one game between Game 1 and 4?

Mitch is held to a standard no other player is held to in this thread.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
WOAH!!!! We all know that games 1 through 4 do not count... oh wait it does for everyone else but Mitch, did you know he is above a PPG average in games 1 through 4. I love this, moving goal post argument. Games 1 through 4 dont matter?

Can you win a 7 game series if you dont win at least one game between Game 1 and 4?

It's been quite some time since I've seen somebody trying so hard. LQTM.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
We haven't seen how it 'turned out'. He's never played Centre in the NHL, he's played some Defense though.

We've learned in this thread that he is not good defensively, although he has had Selke votes for 5 years straight and played defence for a shift or two....

Maybe if he ate better he could play goal too?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
We've learned in this thread that he is not good defensively, although he has had Selke votes for 5 years straight and played defence for a shift or two....

Maybe if he ate better he could play goal too?
Not sure if he can eat better, some blame his teeth.

But aren’t you proving Mess’ point by that comment?
What was his point? That there hasnt been a need to play him at Center?

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Are we really reading into something that was 100% scripted for entertainment and TV purposes?

The All-Star draft is predetermined and then scripted based on what will make compelling TV. Producers understand that the idea of Matthews maybe not choosing Mitch will draw ratings and be a bigger story line. You won’t get that same draw if Marner was the first pick, that’s a very predictable thing to happen.
Of course all the Leafs ended up on the same squad in *gasp* Toronto.

Reactions: francis246

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019

If you’re very selective about which posters you read from, yes, that would be true. To me, it is the core who’s responsible for the Leafs’ continual failures in the playoffs. Having that high of a percentage of the cap tied up in 4 forwards HAS NOT LEAD to any playoff success. If you look at the core 4’s point totals in the last 3 series deciding games in the playoffs (starting with the play-in round vs Columbus), Marner’s totals are the lowest, with 0 goals and 8 assists.

Maybe there is something to the fact that management made it a priority to resign Matthews and Nylander a year before their contracts expired, but they have not done it with Marner.

Not sure if he can eat better, some blame his teeth.

What was his point? That there hasnt been a need to play him at Center?
But there has been a need to have a 3C, and this year we need a 2C.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
If you’re very selective about which posters you read from, yes, that would be true. To me, it is the core who’s responsible for the Leafs’ continual failures in the playoffs. Having that high of a percentage of the cap tied up in 4 forwards HAS NOT LEAD to any playoff success. If you look at the core 4’s point totals in the last 3 series deciding games in the playoffs (starting with the play-in round vs Columbus), Marner’s totals are the lowest, with 0 goals and 8 assists.

Maybe there is something to the fact that management made it a priority to resign Matthews and Nylander a year before their contracts expired, but they have not done it with Marner.

But there has been a need to have a 3C, and this year we need a 2C.
It would be a waste to play a talent like that on the 3rd line. We don't know as yet what will happen this year but I would be surprised if Tavares isn't still the 2c.

Marner wasn't eligible to be signed until this year, it's not the same thing.

He does have big horse teeth....

giphy.gif
He distracts the needy with his bad teeth while he's stealing from them.

• Haha
Reactions: Darcy Tucker

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Appreciate the recognition, perhaps you start to make an effort to?
Recognition, yeah sure. LOL.

I am making an effort - an effort to post less ITT because 99.99% of the posts are people repeating themselves and you're probably doing it more than anyone else. Your tone is also all too often combative and insulting, that combined with the repetitive nature of your posts makes responding to you a complete waste of time.

I hope Marner is traded soon. I doubt this happens but as the saying goes, hope is always the last to die.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

Agreed this core has not worked, this whole thread my only issue was the selective fingering and goal post moving to frame one player as the root cause of that failure. Personally I think the coach struggled to coach playoff hockey, I dont think the players were ready or prepared to play playoff hockey, that is on the coach. Each one of the core 4 did not consistently play nearly to the level that they needed to play to, that is on them. The complimentary players at the bottom of the lineup made mistakes that sometimes cost us games. IMO it was the make up of the team from AM all the way down to the bottom player Reaves. The GM was way to focused on one type of player one type of style. I think as much as Vas, Bob and Swayman are elite goalies, we allowed the elite goalies to goalie us vs the goalie just being better. Did Mitch not play to his level of hockey in some series, absolutely. Did AM disappear in some series, yep, was JT a shadow of a former 1st over all pick, yep, did our goalie suck, sometimes yep, ... IMO it was just a cluster of obvious 20/20 hindsight failures that have led to 8 years of the same results.

He distracts the needy with his bad teeth while he's stealing from them.

The charity is a ruse.. that is why he did not allow any media into his fake charity golf tournament ... I wonder if his diet consists of carrots only...

Slow Mo of the Leafs Sports Nutritionist feeding Mitch his post game meal

giphy.gif

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Recognition, yeah sure. LOL.

I am making an effort - an effort to post less ITT because 99.99% of the posts are people repeating themselves and you're probably doing it more than anyone else. Your tone is also all too often combative and insulting, that combined with the repetitive nature of your posts makes responding to you a complete waste of time.

I hope Marner is traded soon. I doubt this happens but as the saying goes, hope is always the last to die.

So you are saying I'm consistent and a hard worker... AWWWW Gary you are goanna make me all misty with all those superlatives ... who knew you were a big pile of softie after all?

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

Lol Marners is above a ppg in games 1-4? Sounds about the same as getting respect in the handshake line.

..... you're really doubling down comparing Mcdavid to Marner? Wow...I should be shocked. However, it was only last year you select group of Marner fans were comparing him to Grerzky.

Mcdavid over his career averages 1.58 ppg in the playoffs. Which would be 129 points in 82 games

Marner 71 points in 82 games.

Thats 81% more points for Mcdavid.

The unfortunate truth is that the only thing similar about Mcdavid and Marner is their pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad