Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Why is everyone that says something nice about Marner here called Paul? Not everyone can be Paul.
I'm Paul. Don't call other people Paul. There's only one me. I dont have the time to create all these fake accounts.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Actually 0-8 :D
1721497715872.png

Reactions: egd27

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Call me a marner defender or apologist (or whatever people are calling anyone these days that disagrees with the mob regarding Mitch) if you so wish, but I see this clip posted all the time and I think it’s pretty worthless.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a bad look. But i think you can make any player look bad if you are motivated to do so and only need to single out one play to make your case.

If someone had put together a longer clip showing this as a pattern of behavior, which honestly they might be able to do, only then would I place any value in it.

You do realize this attitude and fear of getting hit is all related, right? Those delay of game penalties in the playoffs committed by Marner by flipping pucks out are due to fear of someone breathing down his neck, and not wanting to get hit...shooting the puck from 10 feet further in the playoffs is also because he doesn't want to get closer to the net for fear of contact and getting hit...not going out to the front of the net to tuck the puck in after Swayman gives him a gift in game 7 is also due to fear of getting hit...you see the pattern?

You cannot win with a player like this in the playoffs taking up that kind of cap space.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
He’ll take 11 and we will give it to him. So yes, Less than William

Oh, that's rich...you went from the sentiment that nobody really knows how much Marner wants, including posters here, to "he'll take 11 and we will give it to him."

There is no indication that he's willing to take anything less than Nylander to remain a Leaf...his ego won't have it. He didn't budge as a RFA, and ended up bending Dubas over during negotiations, so why would he budge now when he'll be a UFA? That said, I don't think any team will give him his ask because he's not worth it.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
You do realize this attitude and fear of getting hit is all related, right? Those delay of game penalties in the playoffs committed by Marner by flipping pucks out are due to fear of someone breathing down his neck, and not wanting to get hit...shooting the puck from 10 feet further in the playoffs is also because he doesn't want to get closer to the net for fear of contact and getting hit...not going out to the front of the net to tuck the puck in after Swayman gives him a gift in game 7 is also due to fear of getting hit...you see the pattern?

You cannot win with a player like this in the playoffs taking up that kind of cap space.

I am not making any judgement here positively or negatively on Marner. I know there are some issues.

I’m merely saying one clip is worthless. You can find a clip to tell any story about any player that you want to tell.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I am not making any judgement here positively or negatively on Marner. I know there are some issues.

I’m merely saying one clip is worthless. You can find a clip to tell any story about any player that you want to tell.
I do agree with that...one clip is not an accurate indicator, but we have more than one clip...we have 8 years worth of examples...I just gave a few, which cumulatively highlights his attitude and unwillingness to play the right way in the playoffs to help the team win.

If he was a 3rd liner and played that way, he would have been shipped out awhile ago...ironically, him staying hurts the team because he takes up so much TOI and PP time, and cap space.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA

I do agree with that...one clip is not an accurate indicator, but we have more than one clip...we have 8 years worth of examples...I just gave a few, which cumulatively highlights his attitude and unwillingness to play the right way in the playoffs to help the team win.

If he was a 3rd liner and played that way, he would have been shipped out awhile ago...ironically, him staying hurts the team because he takes up so much TOI and PP time, and cap space.

Exactly.

Everybody knows one clip doesn’t prove a thing. It’s pointless to even make a post to point that out. It feels more like a weak attempt at defending Mitch than an attempt to make an obvious point.

Reactions: Superstar

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Exactly.

Everybody knows one clip doesn’t prove a thing. It’s pointless to even make a post to point that out. It feels more like a weak attempt at defending Mitch than an attempt to make an obvious point.

Apparently its not pointless as the poster thought he was making a point by posting it. Only people that dont understand the game would think they are making a point.

Does this mean Barzal sucks? No of course not,

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
I really think they need to move Marner to 2C. He has all the tools and abilities to play centre and I think he would be way more valuable at 5 on 5 in that position.
I was curious to see if that is the move this year as well.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Call me a marner defender or apologist (or whatever people are calling anyone these days that disagrees with the mob regarding Mitch) if you so wish, but I see this clip posted all the time and I think it’s pretty worthless.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a bad look. But i think you can make any player look bad if you are motivated to do so and only need to single out one play to make your case.

If someone had put together a longer clip showing this as a pattern of behavior, which honestly they might be able to do, only then would I place any value in it.
Yeah I'm sure it's all just one big massive coincidence that the Marner Defense Squad takes a 2 week vacation from posting in this thread the second the playoffs start. Gary Nylund was literally running this thread in the postseason and nobody bothered to challenge anything he was asserting.

They do it because Mitch's play in the playoffs is downright indefensible. Even his staunchest defenders won't even bother to defend the stinkers he puts on. It involves a lot of him blatantly avoiding contact and not paying the price to win.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

Look at how active the Marner Defense Squad was from April 20th - May 4th

The only action from the squad was ACC trying desperately to convince everybody Marner was playing injured, but nobody was buying it.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Ohhh.. I would never be mistaken as a "grown" man... the reason why I ask the questions is because the goal posts on what is and isn't important for a hockey player have been moved so many times, they are buried under ground.
CBYD

Really looking forward to Berube's deployment.

If it is just recycling the same old lines ... walk.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
So why over the past 7 playoffs have Matthews and Nylander both scored 19 goals.

Matthews has won 3 Rockets over the past 5 seasons, but in the playoffs over that period of time Nylander has outscored him the playoffs, 17 - 13.

Is it marner or is it Matthews?

There is an issue on the first line once the real season begins.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Any player can look bad at any given time, they are not robots, they have brain cramps, they might be coming back from a high ankle sprain, they might be cheating for points. End of the day you got a 100 point winger who gets Selke vote every year, this is a good problem to have.

“good problem to have” your spoofing us right. We have 1 single round win with this core and you think just because he gets some Selke nominations he is a good problem to have. How many awards has he won as an NHL players to date.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Injecting some more reality in the thread because it needs it

Somebody please tell Biz he's joined a nasty illogical hate cult and he has no idea what he's watching.
Wow. It’s even worse then I though and some want to pay him 12 plus. There are no words to describe how screwed we are if they do resign him. We are 100% better off taking the pain of getting nothing in return and letting him walk.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Wow. It’s even worse then I though and some want to pay him 12 plus. There are no words to describe how screwed we are if they do resign him. We are 100% better off taking the pain of getting nothing in return and letting him walk.
How can anybody defend this guy after watching that clip and analysis by a former player? It's too bad Berube was not on the panel to give his opinion. Wonder if Berube talked to Mitch about it when they had coffee together.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Injecting some more reality in the thread because it needs it

Somebody please tell Biz he's joined a nasty illogical hate cult and he has no idea what he's watching.

Has anyone in here who has argued against some of the marner narratives ever actually claimed that he didn’t play poorly vs Boston?

Seems to me we all agree he was nowhere near good enough. We just unsurprisingly don’t all agree on all the details, his ability and some are less convinced than others of what specific path needs to be taken from here.

At least in Biz’s segment here he gives a variety of examples of the issue he’s speaking to. Most people don’t

Again to put a bow on it. We all seemingly agree that Marner did not play up to the standard we should expect. Some people take it too far and drag things into the discussion that are not always accurate

Last edited:
Reactions: Metroid

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Oh, that's rich...you went from the sentiment that nobody really knows how much Marner wants, including posters here, to "he'll take 11 and we will give it to him."

There is no indication that he's willing to take anything less than Nylander to remain a Leaf...his ego won't have it. He didn't budge as a RFA, and ended up bending Dubas over during negotiations, so why would he budge now when he'll be a UFA? That said, I don't think any team will give him his ask because he's not worth it.
He’d have to get 13 x 7 from someone just to be in the same ballpark as 11x8 from us. Then add in we could frontload max allowable and give him max signing bonus allowable. I doubt many teams if any can do that. Then you add he’s already here playing for his favourite team. He isn’t leaving that for a less than 10% raise.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Has anyone in here who has argued against some of the marner narratives ever actually claimed that he didn’t play poorly vs Boston?

Seems to me we all agree he was nowhere near good enough. We just unsurprisingly don’t all agree on all the details, his ability and some are less convinced than others of specific path that needs to be taken from here.

At least in Biz’s segment here he gives a variety of examples of the issue he’s speaking to. Most people don’t

Again to put a bow on it. We all seemingly agree that Marner did not play up to the standard we should expect. Some people take it too far and drag things into the discussion that are not always accurate

He plays like ass against any team in the playoffs not just the Bruins this year. I agree with the general point you are trying to make though.

He’d have to get 13 x 7 from someone just to be in the same ballpark as 11x8 from us. Then add in we could frontload max allowable and give him max signing bonus allowable. I doubt many teams if any can do that. Then you add he’s already here playing for his favourite team. He isn’t leaving that for a less than 10% raise.

He’s not even worth 10.9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad