Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Exactly, the leafs were going to have to give some sort of trade protection, but it’s on the team to negotiate a limited trade protection or find a way to meet in the middle. 10 team list. The team did not even leverage the NTC to get lower on the AAV. It’s a mess from Dubas
He got more term than Point, more money than Rantanen, and better trade protection than both - it's one of the most poorly negotiated contracts the Leafs have handled in the cap era. And it felt obvious at the time as well.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
I've always said Frank Servaille is a generational reporter. A man of integrity, honour, and always has his facts straight. He certainly is a man whose hair turned white at the age of 20. He knew the entire Seattle expansion draft team the day before. A gentleman, and a scholar.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
I've never been in Darren Ferris's office, but I'm willing to bet he has a copy of Marner's contract framed somewhere.
Well he sure as shit doesn't have the $64M contract that was offered to Taylor Hall that he told him to turn down and go to Buffalo for a season. What a train wreck that turned out to be for Hall....he signs in boston for 1/2 the AAV and then gets traded to Chicago....what a disaster.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Ferris screws up the $64M contract that was offered to Taylor Hall that he told him to turn down and go to Buffalo for a season. What a train wreck that turned out to be for Hall....he signs in boston for 1/2 the AAV and then gets traded to Chicago....what a disaster.
This Darren Ferris is a horrible agent.

Start a thread about him. More discussion needed.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Yep, started by caving to Nylander, then made worse by signing Matthews before Marner.

100% and I don’t buy anyone who claims what was the leafs supposed to do. Marner’s camp demanded it. Well Dubas wasn’t afraid to let Nylander sit based on his demands. So why wasn’t he afraid to sit Marner? Team leverage only applies to one guy all of a sudden lol?

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Marner’s camp demanded it.

And now we demand he move on.

Marner is hopefully not interested in tanking his long term value by holding out against a team wanting to move on.

Mitch: you'll be on PP2 and driving the third line. The. team. isnt. interested.

Mitch feel free to screw over the Leafs. Feel free. You have the right to do so. But you surely should know, this shit isnt going to end well for you.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Dubas was schooled. He makes Sakic look like Toe Blake. I honestly cannot believe the Pens gave him a 7 year deal to be their POHO. The joke is on them.
Ohhhh it’s going to be glorious watching him burn the Penguins organization to the ground over these next 7 years.

I just feel bad for Sid and Gino. Those 2 guys deserve better then what they’re going to get in the home stretch/twilight of their careers.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Again if they demand it, he is an RFA, you do not need to agree to it. Let him sit, they had no problem letting Nylander sit. So don’t try and tell me that they couldn’t do the same for Marner. It’s crazy to me that you blame Marner for an NMC when the team could just literally say no.

I don't get what you are basing your assumptions on. He threatened with Swiss leagues and offer sheets. "Team could just say no", again making it sound like you know it wasn't a sticking point along with his high AAV.

For the record, I blame Kyle the most, but let's not pretend NMC is anything but Mitch's demand after he threatened to play in Europe. Plus Kyle tried to get rid of him before it kicked in, something you rarely mention.

Reactions: arso40

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
100% and I don’t buy anyone who claims what was the leafs supposed to do. Marner’s camp demanded it. Well Dubas wasn’t afraid to let Nylander sit based on his demands. So why wasn’t he afraid to sit Marner? Team leverage only applies to one guy all of a sudden lol?
Then you have those saying RFA offer sheets were going to be offered to Marner .... Ummm, so what? An offer sheet was offered (and signed) by Aho and the Canes came away laughing with that contract. If an offer sheet was signed by Marner, we could've walked away with 4 first round picks, or more likely we would've matched the deal which sure as HELL would've been better than the one Dubas caved into agreeing to

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I don't get what you are basing your assumptions on. He threatened with Swiss leagues and offer sheets. "Team could just say no", again making it sound like you know it wasn't a sticking point along with his high AAV.

For the record, I blame Kyle the most, but let's not pretend NMC is anything but Mitch's demand after he threatened to play in Europe. Plus Kyle tried to get rid of him before it kicked in, something you rarely mention.

Kyle was fired before he could make the deal but yes I agree Kyle was going to move him. But that’s the whole point, you can’t let the guy strong hold you, trade his rights and let another team deal with his non sense. All I’m saying is Dubas could have had a stronger back bone

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Once he caved to Nylander he lost any leverage.
What is it you feel he demanded ?
He wasn't afraid to let Marner sit. He signed him to what he though was a fair contract.

• Haha

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Yep, started by caving to Nylander, then made worse by signing Matthews before Marner.
As far as the NTCs go, Nylander only got a modified one. The full NTCs started with Matthews and Marner.

Even before that he gave Tavares, who we didn't need, a full NMC. That's really where the mess started.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
As far as the NTCs go, Nylander only got a modified one. The full NTCs started with Matthews and Marner.

Even before that he gave Tavares, who we didn't need, a full NMC. That's really where the mess started.
Not really that surprising, Nyalnder has always been the 3rd wheel.

• Haha

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Not really that surprising, Nyalnder has always been the 3rd wheel.
Fourth wheel, despite being the second-best player.

The surprising part is that some people think the mess started with his contract, which actually turned out to be the best value of the four.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Fourth wheel, despite being the second-best player.

The surprising part is that some people think the mess started with his contract, which actually turned out to be the best value of the four.
It absolutely started with his contract.

People certainly like Nylander; he seems nice but I don’t think anyone objectively would call him the 2nd best player. He’s closed the gap though but not there yet.

• Haha

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
You are not lying on this one.
Is serevelli like eklund ?
Maybe like that james tanner cat

He got more term than Point, more money than Rantanen, and better trade protection than both - it's one of the most poorly negotiated contracts the Leafs have handled in the cap era. And it felt obvious at the time as well.
Just a junior gm playing with big boy tools

Reactions: Tak7

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
Let me double down on your point of having him for Free after this next season.

Here is a list of the top UFA players after 2024-25.

View attachment 881131
Here are the leading playoff scorers the past 4 seasons compared to Marner.

View attachment 881134

Show of hands here Leaf Nation.

View attachment 881139

Who wouldn't rather see Marner (if you can't trade him) simply walk away and recapture his $10.9 mil, and offer that to Mika Rantanen or Leon Draisailt as his replacements (if available), if you're looking at investing $12 mil or more in a player?
That would be a wise contract investment to expect a great return on your investment come playoff time, with proven playoff warriors worth every penny of that +$12 mil contract. :stanley:

Anyone without your hand raised is clearly just a Marner fan, and not focused on playoff productivity, if re-signing Marner for $12 mil + is your choice. IMHO
You can dream all you want
Rantanen and drai will not reach free agency
They will be resigned

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I've always said Frank Servaille is a generational reporter. A man of integrity, honour, and always has his facts straight. He certainly is a man whose hair turned white at the age of 20. He knew the entire Seattle expansion draft team the day before. A gentleman, and a scholar.
Is he legit .itd be nice if u find out seraveli has dreger like c9nn3ctions

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
It absolutely started with his contract.

People certainly like Nylander; he seems nice but I don’t think anyone objectively would call him the 2nd best player. He’s closed the gap though but not there yet.
So the mess started because of the only good contract of the four? That doesn't make sense.

Other than Matthews, who do you think is better? You could argue that both Tavares and Marner were better at the time (they were putting up better numbers), but he pretty clearly passed them both a couple of years ago.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
So the mess started because of the only good contract of the four? That doesn't make sense.

Other than Matthews, who do you think is better? You could argue that both Tavares and Marner were better at the time (they were putting up better numbers), but he pretty clearly passed them both a couple of years ago.
Matthews
Marner
Nylander
Tavares

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad