Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
You cannot let him walk for nothing. This team has bled assets since the rookie GM took over and have been spinning their wheels trying to replace players they throw off the ship to pay the rotten core. It is not like Dubas left the cupboard bursting with prospects.

The floor should be a 30-40 goal scorer making $7-8m with some term and a 1st round pick for me. Anything more would be gravy
I highly doubt that kind of return will happen unless it’s a sign and trade. The Leafs are not dealing in a position of strength here.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
That article Simmonds wrote yesterday titled "Leafs won't ask Marner to waive unless it's the right return" is basically just asking teams to not lowball and to come prepared with a decent trade and not to waste our time
At this point, he just needs to go, it's that simple.

If we can't get anything but a 1st and a prospect for him, so be it. Let him go get 100 points somewhere else and then do nothing in the playoffs.

$11 million in cap>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>being stuck with Mitch because we didn't want a "bad return"

Mitch IS the bad return for the $11 million, at least in the playoffs. Nobody cares about 100 point seasons anymore, this isn't 2004, it's 2024.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
I’d be open to trading with Pittsburgh, but why do we think Dubas even wants Marner again? Wasn’t one of the reasons Dubas was let go last year because he wanted to break up the core and Shanny didn’t?

Reactions: hullsy47

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
You're probably right, these good and highly productive playoff performers like Rantanen and Draisiatl will likely receive new contracts from their current teams, because they EARNED them on merit, and as such their own teams have every desire to retain them, and pay them for their vital contributions to team playoff success.

Rantanen already has a Cup and Draisaitl is competing for one as we speak now, and are among the highest producing playoff performers. Everybody would want them on their teams.

Our Leafs are on the opposite spectrum and at a point where they want out of Cap Hell, and willing to part with an unproductive, disappearing playoff performer to change the dynamics of the team and try and improve on their own playoff aspirations of success. Losing in round #1 over and over and over seems to have finally reached its breaking point with ownership/management.

Leafs management have the same goal of wanting to compete for the Cup, unfortunately dealing from a position of weakness where moving out player(s) instead of keeping him/them seems to be current objective to reach the same finishing point but complicated by NMC landmines left by BT predecessor to navigate through.

You should probably start complaining about Treliving overpaying Matthews and Nylander and living in the present.

Reactions: notdoneyet

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I’d be open to trading with Pittsburgh, but why do we think Dubas even wants Marner again? Wasn’t one of the reasons Dubas was let go last year because he wanted to break up the core and Shanny didn’t?
thats the rumor .

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
A real GM tells Marner to F off when he ask for 10.8 AAV.

"We can and we will" Loser GM sure ain't too bright. Not one of Brock U's finest.

You don't let the players boss you around. If Marner wanted overpay money because Babcock hurt his feelings then you let him go.

Last edited:

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
A real GM tells Marner to F off when he ask for 10.8 AAV.

"We can and we will" Loser GM sure ain't too bright.

You don't let the players boss you around. If Marner wanted overpay money because Babcock hurt his feelings then you let him go.
also remember dreger was the marners puppet mouth .he said marner had 2 potential offer sheets
funny dreger has no info now .
ud think dreger would be negotiating now

• Haha
Reactions: ACC1224

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
JT will be asking for more than 5 mill and more than 3 years.

If I was JT and signing a contract before I turn 35 it will definitely be more than 3 years and $4M. You can’t bury a 35+ contract. And I don’t think he’s retiring in 3 years. He should look for 6Mx5 or 4.25x8 and have his contract buried in the later years.
I highly doubt he will look for that much, and if he does, it will have to be somewhere else.

But even if he want's $5x4, that's a small fraction of what Marner will want, which was my point.

Reactions: ToneDog and nuck

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
You cannot let him walk for nothing. This team has bled assets since the rookie GM took over and have been spinning their wheels trying to replace players they throw off the ship to pay the rotten core. It is not like Dubas left the cupboard bursting with prospects.

The floor should be a 30-40 goal scorer making $7-8m with some term and a 1st round pick for me. Anything more would be gravy.

I tend to agree but all it takes is one fool like Dubas.
So Marner is worth Nylander plus a first?

Reactions: arso40

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street

If I remember correctly the trade that was vetoed by Shanny was the Chicago trade that involved Fleury and Knies.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
This. Why are you pretending he simply asked like it's no biggie? ROFL

Mitch and his agent demanded NMC, no other way to get one.

This narrative you are pushing that stupid little Mitch just asked, knowing nothing and probably hoping he won't get it is ridiculous. The worst RFA contract ever and NMC, yet Mitchy can't be blamed, man just asked ! ROFL

Again if they demand it, he is an RFA, you do not need to agree to it. Let him sit, they had no problem letting Nylander sit. So don’t try and tell me that they couldn’t do the same for Marner. It’s crazy to me that you blame Marner for an NMC when the team could just literally say no.

Reactions: Petrus and ACC1224

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
PPG Willie yes. The Willie who Tre caved to, no. I was thinking 30-40 goals and 40 assists.
He isn't worth either in my opinion he's been attached to matthews putting up those numbers I'd like to see a year without him I'd imagine assist totals would look alot different

Reactions: notDatsyuk

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012

The campaign must continue in case some weaker fan plans to relent.

1718043633108.png

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
15 days later - and the point remains. Trade protection isn't rare, and is often used to keep the AAV low/team friendly.

Exactly, the leafs were going to have to give some sort of trade protection, but it’s on the team to negotiate a limited trade protection or find a way to meet in the middle. 10 team list. The team did not even leverage the NTC to get lower on the AAV. It’s a mess from Dubas

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
At this point, he just needs to go, it's that simple.

If we can't get anything but a 1st and a prospect for him, so be it. Let him go get 100 points somewhere else and then do nothing in the playoffs.

$11 million in cap>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>being stuck with Mitch because we didn't want a "bad return"

Mitch IS the bad return for the $11 million, at least in the playoffs. Nobody cares about 100 point seasons anymore, this isn't 2004, it's 2024.
Thank you. Incredible people can't or refuse to grasp this. Losing Marner for "nothing' isn't the worst possible outcome, extending the player at 8 years 12m + is.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
If I remember correctly the trade that was vetoed by Shanny was the Chicago trade that involved Fleury and Knies.
I remember that rumour as well. I don’t think Dubas had anything planned already for the core but I remember hearing he was pissed and ready to shake things up, but Shanahan disagreed and as soon as Dubas left Shanahan called the core to tell them they’re going nowhere. It’s why I don’t blame Treliving for not trading someone last year when they could have.

But really who knows what goes on. So much **** flying around when it comes to the leafs so always tough to know what’s true or not.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Exactly, the leafs were going to have to give some sort of trade protection, but it’s on the team to negotiate a limited trade protection or find a way to meet in the middle. 10 team list. The team did not even leverage the NTC to get lower on the AAV. It’s a mess from Dubas
Yep, started by caving to Nylander, then made worse by signing Matthews before Marner.

Reactions: francis246
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad