Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
If I was to read between the lines, he may as well have said, we want to trade him but he isn’t giving up his NMC. So drop the puck. Lol
What might be most important I'd what Treliving didn't say. He never said he's interested in talking new contract with Marner.

Wondering if Treliving if referring to Ferris, when he says "don't believe all you hear". Recall, that when Marner was an RFA there was all kinds of info being leaked... Marner signing in Switzerland, Marner being lowballed, multiple offer sheets... etc.

Weird that the media is saying "Marner not interested in talking contract with Toronto"... but in his locker cleanout he said he wanted to talk contract soon, and loves Toronto. And you can tell from his interview that just the thought of leaving kills him inside.

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
Let’s be honest here. No one a thing what’s going to happen. Friedman and all these types have no idea. They are sprinkling some Leafs talk cause they know what will get clicks and bring in ad money.

They are also covering all their bases. If he stays “they you so”. If he goes “told you major changes are coming”.

Friedman said of Nylander a few years ago when he held out that Willy is as good as gone via a trade.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Yeah I can’t watch some of these guys anymore.
I’ll see you at the next rebuild if things don’t change significantly.
If Leafs re-sign Marner, rebuild might be in 4 years when Marner is 31 and Matthews bolts...imagine Marner would still be locked in for another 5 years until age 36 for $12 million plus, lol...maybe he'll drive the net and his shot might improve by then...:sarcasm:

Reactions: Sundinisagod

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
I’d like to watch entertaining hockey all year round, win more games than we lose. Make the playoffs and then anything can happen. Lose in the 1st round, well I miss a few games that could be very exciting. Not a big deal.

The alternative start over not a hope in hell of making playoffs but we will draft well for a few years. It’s ground hog day all over again.
Barf, this is why the team won't win anything, too many clowns like this guy.

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
Let’s be honest here. No one a thing what’s going to happen. Friedman and all these types have no idea. They are sprinkling some Leafs talk cause they know what will get clicks and bring in ad money.

They are also covering all their bases. If he stays “they you so”. If he goes “told you major changes are coming”.

Friedman said of Nylander a few years ago when he held out that Willy is as good as gone via a trade.

Friedman was using conventional logic. Nylander should have been gone and would have been gone under a competent manager. But there was a new circus in town and who knew the dark and cloudy days that were to come.

Reactions: Bomber0104

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
What do Tampa, Colorado and Edmonton all have in common?
They took a step back with their stars and drafted Makar, Bouchard and Drouin (who became Sergachev). These D all figure prominently in their makeup. What have we been drafting? Trouble is we are stuck in neutral with 4 overpaid forwards spinning our wheels.
Do you want to keep making the playoffs and lose in the 1st or quick 2nd (if we get lucky) for eternity? It seems many people do.
That sounds like 4 hamsters runner fast on wheels, but going no where, lol

Reactions: ToneDog and Trapper

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Got to give credits to MM for wanting to stick around and bet on himself despite knowing the tough road ahead. Too bad he didn't have the same drive in the playoffs when the going get tough, and just play uninterested.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I belive he wants to win more than almost any of the players on leafs. But he cant get past that mental block. He aint fragile compared to the average person, but he is compared to some of the most elite NHL players.

Next season will be a long one... if he comes out strong and they sign him in the middle of the season (ala Nylander) i dont know what to throw.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I’d like to watch entertaining hockey all year round, win more games than we lose. Make the playoffs and then anything can happen. Lose in the 1st round, well I miss a few games that could be very exciting. Not a big deal.

The alternative start over not a hope in hell of making playoffs but we will draft well for a few years. It’s ground hog day all over again.

The product honestly isn't that entertaining right now in the reg season. It's an individual stats padding fest all season and a transition to playoff hockey. They cant transition well and lose every year.

I watched far less here and I am a pretty big hockey fan.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I've been a fan for decades. My attention span isn't interrupted by petulant tantrums. I've watched and cheered for teams that were far worse than this one. I'll still be watching after the balls finally drop on some of the folks here.

Well we certainly know you haven't been interrupted by Mitch Marner petulant tantrums.

It makes sense. Good on you. For the record I have not thrown anything around because of hockey. No gloves or anything.

Question. If a professional hockey player throws a tantrum on the bench by way of throwing his mitts, does that make him a professional tantrum thrower or just a glove chucker?

Endless love for Mitch Zoolander, graduate of the school for kids that want to good in the media and do other things like hockey good to.

Last edited:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
**** sakes

You don't trade a 90-100 point Selke candidate for ******* cap space

This is the same emotional crap I was reading before Kadri was traded, it didn't go well and we got absolutely rinsed

Either get a good quality offer and make a trade or hang onto him and use the other 20M in cap space you already have to make the team better

You don't just give guys like this away for Cap space
So, you’re okay with him walking at the end of the season? Okay I get it now……….

His cap hit ain't worth him showing up "occassionally". I know that applies to others as well but his contract is the one that's up. One step at a time.
Exactly, one step at a time………

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
And so the games begin, I love it. Timing of this tells me the Leafs aren't talking/thinking extension and Marner's side is getting antsy. Mitch/Paul/Ferris publicly put the ball in Toronto's court, better sign my client or he'll walk for nothing.

This should be fun.
Fun, but not unexpected………..

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Fun, but not unexpected………..

If it gets nasty and he walks us into regular season they can cite his poor PO performance. Publicly say the 11m he makes now is above and beyond what he brings to the table. We have had instances in the media revolving around Mitch and private internal team things been made public. Lastly BT can question the asking price from Mitch. He can say he doesn't see enough value of the fans hard earned money in proceeding with Marner.

If they say it right they can make him look really bad. The Ammo is there

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
If it gets nasty and he walks us into regular season they can cite his poor PO performance. Publicly say the 11m he makes now is above and beyond what he brings to the table. We have had instances in the media revolving around Mitch and private internal team things been made public. Lastly BT can question the asking price from Mitch. He can say he doesn't see enough value of the fans hard earned money in proceeding with Marner.

If they say it right they can make him look really bad. The Ammo is there
I don’t think the Leaf have it in them to play hardball, wouldn’t want to hurt a player’s feelings and all that………

Good. Maybe we can find our own Bouchard/Makar/MacAvoy/Heiskanen/Hughes in that draft.
Unexpected bonus……..

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I've been a fan for decades. My attention span isn't interrupted by petulant tantrums. I've watched and cheered for teams that were far worse than this one. I'll still be watching after the balls finally drop on some of the folks here.
You're sounding a bit petulant there yourself buddy. No need to be so angry all the time, we're all fans of the same team and it's a given that millions of people can't be on the same page on everything, they will value players differently etc.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Couple of interesting quotes from Lebrun’s interview with Treliving

“The thing I would say is, be very, very careful of what you read out there”

“We’re not scared to be bold and do things,”. “But there’s got to be things to do out there.”

Great interview. I would recommend signing up for the Athletic to read it.
I wouldn’t line my bird cage with that rag if I had a bird……….

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Well we certainly know you haven't been interrupted by Mitch Marner petulant tantrums.

It makes sense. Good on you. For the record I have not thrown anything around because of hockey. No gloves or anything.

Question. If a professional hockey player throws a tantrum on the bench by way of throwing his mitts, does that make him a professional tantrum thrower or just a glove chucker?

Endless love for Mitch Zoolander, graduate of the school for kids that want to good in the media and do other things like hockey good to.
I like the game of hockey. I don't like the the gossipy analytical debrief common in knitting circles after a party. I prefer to keep my discussions within the realm normally associated with men.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
What do Tampa, Colorado and Edmonton all have in common?
They took a step back with their stars and drafted Makar, Bouchard and Drouin (who became Sergachev). These D all figure prominently in their makeup. What have we been drafting? Trouble is we are stuck in neutral with 4 overpaid forwards spinning our wheels.
Do you want to keep making the playoffs and lose in the 1st or quick 2nd (if we get lucky) for eternity? It seems many people do.
Huge portion of Leaf Nation aspire to the President’s Cup and could care less about the Stanley Cup, by April they’ve moved on to golf, pickleball, tennis, et al……….

I'd say the "emotional" ones are the ones who are irrationally attached to a player (any player) that hasn't lived up to his contract, especially in the playoffs.

The rational ones are the ones who want to move on from non performing assets to make the TEAM better.
Well said……..

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Treliving quotes on Marner:

“The thing I would say is, be very, very careful of what you read out there,” Treliving said when asked about Marner speculation. “Mitch is a hell of a player. He’s going into the last year of his contract. We’re not going to comment on any players. Any business that we conduct, we’ll do that between Darren Ferris and us. We’re not going to do play-by-play on it. We’ve got to look at every possible way for our team to be better.”

“Mitch controls a lot of this whole thing (with the no-trade). If there’s a way to make our team better, we’re going to do it. But we’re certainly not going to make a trade just so we can pound our chest and say, ‘Look, we’re different.'”

“We’re not scared to be bold and do things,” Treliving said. “But there’s got to be things to do out there.”

“So we’ll see. But for me, we’ve got a really good player in Mitch Marner. That’s a good thing. We’ll just keep plugging away on it.”

Sounds like they'd move him if it was up to the Leafs. Very interesting.

Back to the gutter...
Who stays where they’re not wanted, have some self respect man………

If Marner doesn't want to discuss an extension now, then we know where this is going.

Fix the defence and goaltending this year. Next year, fix the top 6:

Bertuzzi Matthews Nylander
Knies Draisaitl Cowan
It’s a sound concept, put all the money into the D and wait the years out………

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Who stays where they’re not wanted, have some self respect man………
This. Unfortunately it feels like for Marner, the only measure of respect is how much money some GM is willing to throw his way and that same lack of character that is on full display during the playoffs may well make him petulantly refuse to move on from where he's no longer wanted.

This could turn into a shit show the likes of which Leaf fans haven't seen since the Ballard days.

I like the game of hockey. I don't like the the gossipy analytical debrief common in knitting circles after a party. I prefer to keep my discussions within the realm normally associated with men.
If you don't like what goes on in knitting circles, perhaps it's time to find other ways to spend your time.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Mitch is basically a $11 million placeholder. There’s literally no concern or worry that he walks himself out the door and we get zero trade return because that’s $11 million in freedom July 2025. Play hardball and nasty all you want. It’s over in 13 months time in a free agent class that currently consists of Draisaitl, Rantanen and
Delete

Mitch is basically a $11 million placeholder. There’s literally no concern or worry that he walks himself out the door and we get zero trade return because that’s $11 million in freedom July 2025. Play hardball and nasty all you want. It’s over in 13 months time in a free agent class that currently consists of Draisaitl, Rantanen and Shesterkin.
1717587802983.jpeg

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

It’s perfectly fine for Marner to have a hissy fit, but God forbid if Leaf Nation holds disappearing players accountable……….

Reactions: LeafSteel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad