Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
One more year @hotpaws and it'll all be over (at least at the outrageous cap-hit)....

You'll make it buddy :laugh:
lets hope it is only 1 more year and i hope they don't re-sign him since they'll probably force fed him mins even if it hurts the team

best case scenario is he waives and they dump him this summer !

Reactions: thewave

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
That's not true for some in the slightest. The idiocy spewed daily that has nothing to do with his play is proof of that.

The most I will say on him off the ice is that contract negotiation did really start the decline of my....affection/care/support for the player. He is one player but he along with about 4 other guys have been here for the playoff failures, my patience has eroded on most of the core group.

I've given my opinion on Marner's previous contract stand off and even how I viewed Matthews's previous contract, it goes in circles with some on here, as you have seen.

I also wouldn't have signed Nylander for 11.5M x 8, that's probably at least 1M too much but we're here now.

Would I have wished for them to just win a cup and shut me up? Yes....I love the taste of crow, especially when it's sweetened with victory.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
So what happens if we lose Marner this or next off-season and Matthews continues to shit the bed in the playoffs?

We spend all of spring/summer-2025 posting hysterically every day on HFBoards demanding Matthews be traded with a full NMC?
They married Matthews for 4 years. It's now win or go home time.

Reactions: myleafs and ToneDog

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
So what happens if we lose Marner this or next off-season and Matthews continues to shit the bed in the playoffs?

We spend all of spring/summer-2025 posting hysterically every day on HFBoards demanding Matthews be traded with a full NMC?
Then we’re probably destined to lose in this rebuild no matter what we do.

Reactions: myleafs and ToneDog

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I just hope the Leafs can break the Dubas pay overpay model with this guy. So far it hasn’t looked that way. Or better yet, let him walk.
You know the routine, by November Marner will have like 35 points and Brad Marchand will be giving an interview how he is worth 14 million/year. And the people will go, hell yeah!
And the Leafs will go well we couldn’t trade him so let’s overpay him.
Pelley, do you have any new buzzwords when we lose in the 1st round?

My hope is that the overpay model was a Shanahan thing and WN is the last one. When Mitch goes they should honestly can Shanahan and let BT take GM - President. Any further negotiations or attempts at overpays should be stomped out and let it be known BT runs a tight ship.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I harped endlessly last year about how important it was for this team to win the division. It will be the same story next season. The difference between playing Washington/Islanders or Boston/Florida in the first round is not insignificant. I doubt the wild card teams in the East will be any better next season.
It's really not though, unless you think there is some massive difference between winning 0/1 rounds. And even this season, we probably beat Boston if we're healthy but then be destroyed in the 2 round by Florida anyway so ...

For some, if it's not that it'll be something else.
Circle of HF life. :laugh:
IK have no doubt that no matter what happens, you'll be here every day yelling to the clouds how stupid people are.
We are just as much a contending team as the oilers.
@Bomber0104 leafs record vs Oilers over last 5 years, 11-4-2. You are correct I’m giving the Oilers too much credit, my mistake.
:biglaugh::biglaugh:
You really need to get it through your head that regular season stats aren't much use when it comes to saying who's a contender and who isn't.
You guys keep calling him a playoff choker yet he has more playoff points than anyone else on this team. But ok and yeah I do put an importance on playing exciting hockey year round.
If you watch him play in the playoffs then you should know how bad he's been. Forget the stats for a moment and tell us honestly - how would you rate his play in the last 2 playoff series this team has played?

That's not true for some in the slightest. The idiocy spewed daily that has nothing to do with his play is proof of that.
It seems like all you ever do is comment on how stupid people are who post here. And of course you don't quote a post and say look this is stupid and this is why, you just yell at those clouds. :laugh::laugh:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Then you are building a house on stilts. Marner and Tavares still need to go. Matty and/or Willie would be next to go if we keep exiting early. I'd get rid of all 5, but we know that is not happening so Marner is logically the first to move off since he has been voted the weakest link.

QJo

Luke Warmtakes
Dec 8, 2016
Ontario
The most I will say on him off the ice is that contract negotiation did really start the decline of my....affection/care/support for the player. He is one player but he along with about 4 other guys have been here for the playoff failures, my patience has eroded on most of the core group.

I've given my opinion on Marner's previous contract stand off and even how I viewed Matthews's previous contract, it goes in circles with some on here, as you have seen.

I also wouldn't have signed Nylander for 11.5M x 8, that's probably at least 1M too much but we're here now.

Would I have wished for them to just win a cup and shut me up? Yes....I love the taste of crow, especially when it's sweetened with victory.

Marner has always been my least favourite of the three. I didn't even like the draft pick even though obviously in retrospect it was a good one. The contract solidified it though, we were paying before winning and it'd be tough to find the right formula from there.

Want me to find the posts where you did say that? Because that's been my objection the whole time.
Sure.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Marner has always been my least favourite of the three. I didn't even like the draft pick even though obviously in retrospect it was a good one. The contract solidified it though, we were paying before winning and it'd be tough to find the right formula from there.

Sure.

2 things can be true.

The Leafs absolutely nailed the Nylander, Marner and Matthews picks out of the ballpark, they really did amazing at their draft slot.

At some point though you need to recognize where you are abundant (forward) and where you need help (defense) - if the Nylander for Pietrangelo deal had ever happened, it would have brought balance to the roster.

Now we basically have to trade Marner because we already extended Nylander.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
We are just as much a contending team as the oilers.
@Bomber0104 leafs record vs Oilers over last 5 years, 11-4-2. You are correct I’m giving the Oilers too much credit, my mistake.
When Pelley said, they want to win, we are not here to sell jerseys, he was referring to winning in the playoffs/winning a SC. If that is lip service, then you'll get your wish and you can enjoy the fancy dancing dipsy doodling Mitch and friends.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
The Leafs absolutely nailed the Nylander, Marner and Matthews picks out of the ballpark, they really did amazing at their draft slot.
yep.
At some point though you need to recognize where you are abundant (forward) and where you need help (defense) - if the Nylander for Pietrangelo deal had ever happened, it would have brought balance to the roster.
should have been apparent 5 years ago.
Yep.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Then you are building a house on stilts. Marner and Tavares still need to go. Matty and/or Willie would be next to go if we keep exiting early. I'd get rid of all 5, but we know that is not happening so Marner is logically the first to move off since he has been voted the weakest link.

Matthews has goal scoring ability. Marner does not give him time or space to do his thing in a playoff setting.

Solution. Give Matthews two fast wingers who can be physical and get the puck including in the playoffs. Domi Bert seemed pretty good.

William Nylander has zone entry, speed and a shot. Sokid playmaking as well. He needs a 6-8m 2way C that can wheel and throw on maybe a young upcoming winger as well. That will get you a solid L2.

The rest is all reworkable. Marner and JT need to move on but if JT will take 3rd line C money next contract maybe that works.

Rather have Stamkos. Who if we get rid of Marner we will likely see on this team.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
:biglaugh::biglaugh:
You really need to get it through your head that regular season stats aren't much use when it comes to saying who's a contender and who isn't.
I get entertained by hockey 7or 8 months a year. You seem to only care about 1. Cool. And playoffs are a crap shoot. Jeez has the NHL ever done a great marketing job. lol!

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I harped endlessly last year about how important it was for this team to win the division. It will be the same story next season. The difference between playing Washington/Islanders or Boston/Florida in the first round is not insignificant. I doubt the wild card teams in the East will be any better next season.
you'd think it should be then you look back and see we lost to the Habs and lumbus

Reactions: myleafs

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
2 things can be true.

The Leafs absolutely nailed the Nylander, Marner and Matthews picks out of the ballpark
, they really did amazing at their draft slot.

Hitting it out of the ballpark would have been selecting, Pastrnak, Rantanen and Matthews but all 3 were great picks compared to their overall drafting efficiency.

mclaren55

Apr 12, 2010
I get entertained by hockey 7or 8 months a year. You seem to only care about 1. Cool. And playoffs are a crap shoot. Jeez has the NHL ever done a great marketing job. lol!

Crap shoot? Please explain how they are a crap shoot. Florida is in the finals 2 years in a row, Pittsburgh won multiple cups, so did Chicago. There are certain teams that are a threat every year. It's just the Leafs that seem to perpetually fail with three of the highest paid players in the league.

Reactions: myleafs

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
2 things can be true.

The Marner draft we could have traded down for Werenski and Barzal.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
This coming from a guy who sells his playoff tickets to bruins fans, true fans would never do that, true fans would to to every game possible, that goes double for the playoffs. Actions speak louder than words……..

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Matthews has goal scoring ability. Marner does not give him time or space to do his thing in a playoff setting.
Matthews underperforms in key games. Consistently. His inability to drive a line makes him a less effective 1C in the playoffs. He feeds off slow teams not blocking shots in regular season games that don't matter.
Solution. Give Matthews two fast wingers who can be physical and get the puck including in the playoffs. Domi Bert seemed pretty good.
I like it.
William Nylander has zone entry, speed and a shot. Solid playmaking as well. He needs a 6-8m 2way C that can wheel and throw on maybe a young upcoming winger as well. That will get you a solid L2.
I like it. Willy can play with many players. His game has balance. Matthews requires specific linemates to attempt to get him to produce in the playoffs. His ability to produce in the playoffs - especially in key games - is essentially unproven.
The rest is all reworkable. Marner and JT need to move on but if JT will take 3rd line C money next contract maybe that works.

Rather have Stamkos. Who if we get rid of Marner we will likely see on this team.
JT is untradeable.

Marner has to be moved.

TRADE MARNER

Just getting in my daily rep, like this savage.

1331660438_bike_wheelie_bench_pressing.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad