Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I also think you can win with multiple styles of playoff hockey. Colorado is a perfect example of a team that plays an offensive game in the playoffs, but still plays hard, fights in the corners, in front of the net, if they ever get a goalie they'd be pretty good.
Colorado (when they won) had guys like Rantanen,Landeskog,Nichushkin who were handfuls on the wall and down low. Kadri was always an in your face player. Plus they could skill and defend. They could score pretty or dirty.

Reactions: ToneDog and socko

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
If they only want two 11+ players , Nylander won this one.
But i belive there will be two 13+ when all is said and done. The stupidity will continue.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
That's probably true for teams that play playoff hockey. Look at the Blues. Nobody was picking them that I recall.
Getting in is one thing, but you don’t win unless you have the ingredients. Washington got in, but they didn’t have enough. Same with the Islanders. Same with the Leafs…..

When people say LA finished 8th and won a Cup, I ask them was finishing 8th the key to success, or was it because they had big, fast, tenacious, skilled forwards, a couple of stud D, reliable goaltending, and little luck?

Reactions: ToneDog

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
If they only want two 11+ players , Nylander won this one.
But i belive there will be two 13+ when all is said and done. The stupidity will continue.
That would dispel the Marner can't handle the Toronto pressure talk. I really don't see it. He sulks, yes, that's in his personality. But I personally feel he would love to get a massive contract from Toronto and keep playing his soft perimeter game and I don't think the backlash bothers him. Moving from Toronto or getting less than a massive overpay are his real concerns. Not the fans. Of course, that's just my opinion.

And if he's pissed now, it's because the team has shown an interest in trading him when they're applying the same tactics that worked on Dubas/Shanahan. He doesn't like that.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
The core doesn't work. Change in needed. Marner is the odd man out.

That's life Mitch.

(don't throw your water bottle at me).
Over it ain’t over, only Mitch will decide if it’s over. Lmao!

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Have you heard the expression "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger"? Yup, that's also a load of bullshit.

Just because a phrase is often used, that doesn't mean it's actually true and you'd have to be rather gullible to think otherwise. :)

LOLOLOL.
Well that is true of the other often used phrase, it’s never a bad idea to shoot on the net. Yeah right!

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
That would dispel the Marner can't handle the Toronto pressure talk. I really don't see it. He sulks, yes, that's in his personality. But I personally feel he would love to get a massive contract from Toronto and keep playing his soft perimeter game and I don't think the backlash bothers him. Moving from Toronto or getting less than a massive overpay are his real concerns. Not the fans. Of course, that's just my opinion.

And if he's pissed now, it's because the team has shown an interest in trading him when they're applying the same tactics that worked on Dubas/Shanahan. He doesn't like that.
Like i said previous, this will be a long season. A bit exciting to se how Berube handle the players at least. looking forward to that.

Reactions: socko and ACC1224

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Lets play a little devils advocate from my side of the aisle I guess.

Now Marner has been a matchup guy against Kucherov/Barkov/Pasta the Last 3 years and has put up a PPG (12 highest for a forward in the playoffs) and would be a projected +34 for a season.

Now lets say we traded him and used his cap for something else. Where would you want the money/return to go?

Campbell/Samsonov are up there with the worst goaltending in the playoffs with Samsonov being pulled the last 2 series. Is there a goalie you have your eyes on? That would seem to be of paramount importance.

The Leafs bottom 6 have been outscored very badly 5v5 over this time lending credence to the fact we are too top heavy. Are there any players you think would stop the bleeding on one of the worst bottom 6 in hockey in the playoffs?

Do you think the coaching change will cure the brutal PP in the playoffs? Or is there a piece we can grab?

After all this, how do we replace the fact that Marner is an elite defensive winger who still put up a PPG in the playoffs.

While it still feels like Marner's 10.9 caphit was money well spent compared with a ton of other areas, how does replacing it fix things? Just looking for solutions here.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007

Now Marner has been a matchup guy against Kucherov/Barkov/Pasta the Last 3 years and has put up a PPG (12 highest for a forward in the playoffs) and would be a projected +34 for a season.

Now lets say we traded him and used his cap for something else. Where would you want the money/return to go?

Campbell/Samsonov are up there with the worst goaltending in the playoffs with Samsonov being pulled the last 2 series. Is there a goalie you have your eyes on? That would seem to be of paramount importance.

The Leafs bottom 6 have been outscored very badly 5v5 over this time lending credence to the fact we are too top heavy. Are there any players you think would stop the bleeding on one of the worst bottom 6 in hockey in the playoffs?

Do you think the coaching change will cure the brutal PP in the playoffs? Or is there a piece we can grab?

After all this, how do we replace the fact that Marner is an elite defensive winger who still put up a PPG in the playoffs.

While it still feels like Marner's 10.9 caphit was money well spent compared with a ton of other areas, how does replacing it fix things? Just looking for solutions here.
Took you days to come up with this one eh?

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix

What’s your definition of PPG in the playoffs?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

I'm not the biggest marner fan, but I think we can all agree he is a very good forward.
Too bad he couldn't play center, might have been their next Keon.
Do we know why his production this year was so poor in the post season?

1717596808786.png

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
That's just not true in the playoffs though, if it was then nobody would be talking about trading the little wuss.

Do me a favor and tell me where you want the $ to go then.

I dont want to get into the same old muslinging circle jerk the trolls are trying to spur on around here. I'm sure you have some solutions.

QJo

Luke Warmtakes
Dec 8, 2016
Ontario

That's the question for me. What we have isn't working but who do we use Marner's money on to be better. I strongly disagree that he's an addition by subtraction candidate. He's still a valuable player who is very good at hockey. Overpaid and will be again so I think you have to find a trade to get good asset back. 11m in FA is a gamble and you can't just say you want this player and have them as if other teams aren't trying to get them too. A trade gives you power to build a team you think is improved.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Naw, just have a life and finally found some time.

Hey, you come up with that number yet?

I almost always go by the last 3 seasons of play. Been doing it forever now. Seems a solid chunk to go on.

So you got your definition or any concrete things to say?
So 3 years is a good enough sample size but 8 is not. Time to move on. The party is over.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Do me a favor and tell me where you want the $ to go then.

I dont want to get into the same old muslinging circle jerk the trolls are trying to spur on around here. I'm sure you have some solutions.
It's not our job to come up with solutions nor to answer your loaded questions. It's not worth the time. Look back thru the thread. Many alternatives have been offered.

that's not too bad for him considering he's still working on explaining how JT is a bargain at 11m
It's funny that you and I don't agree with each other on a few things yet we can accept other fans have a different view, while others simply cannot.

Reactions: myleafs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad