Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I get entertained by hockey 7or 8 months a year. You seem to only care about 1. Cool. And playoffs are a crap shoot. Jeez has the NHL ever done a great marketing job. lol!

Not at all, you get the odd cinderella story but I find it pretty easy to guess who's moving on.

The Leafs get exactly what they deserve each year.

I've been able to go at least 75% in each round and had 3/4 of the final 4 as well, my only mistake was being bitter about the Florida loss last year and thinking Tampa would be able to take out Florida.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
2 things can be true.

The Leafs absolutely nailed the Nylander, Marner and Matthews picks out of the ballpark, they really did amazing at their draft slot.

At some point though you need to recognize where you are abundant (forward) and where you need help (defense) - if the Nylander for Pietrangelo deal had ever happened, it would have brought balance to the roster.

Now we basically have to trade Marner because we already extended Nylander.
IF removal of one is the only way forward, I'd remove them in this order.
Tavares
Nylander
Marner
Matthews

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Crap shoot? Please explain how they are a crap shoot. Florida is in the finals 2 years in a row, Pittsburgh won multiple cups, so did Chicago. There are certain teams that are a threat every year. It's just the Leafs that seem to perpetually fail with three of the highest paid players in the league.
Great isn’t it. I remember when we didn’t have 1. lol

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I get entertained by hockey 7or 8 months a year. You seem to only care about 1. Cool. And playoffs are a crap shoot. Jeez has the NHL ever done a great marketing job. lol!
That's just not true but if it helps you sleep at night to think that, you go right ahead.

I've watched most of the regular season games for over 50 years now and you seem like a decent sort, but I'm going to lose respect for you if you keep twisting my words around. I have never said that I "only" care about playoffs, just that I value playoff success more than I value regular season success and that regular season success becomes rather hollow when you keep shitting the bed in the playoffs. I'm pretty sure you understand the difference so I hope you'll stop with the nonsense.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Maybe in your mind. Playoffs are won by teams that buy in and are willing to do whatever it takes. Sadly our guys are more interested in winning All-star games. Therein lies the problem. Damn, it it was a crap shoot, you'd think we could get to round 3 at least once in 8 tries. The Rangers have gone to round 3 the last 2/3 years since they wrote a letter to the fans saying they were taking a step back. since then, they have lapped the Leafs.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
IF removal of one is the only way forward, I'd remove them in this order.
Tavares
Nylander
Marner
Matthews
Nylander is probably an impossibility.

Tavares should be gone but we know he won't.

Hitting it out of the ballpark would have been selecting, Pastrnak, Rantanen and Matthews but all 3 were great picks compared to their overall drafting efficiency.

Rantanen and Pastrnak were not slated anywhere near our draft spot, I don't want to pretend that we had the ability to know how they would turn out, we picked the right guys ranked around our draft slot.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
This Treliving quote from yesterday very much reads to me like they are trying to trade Marner

"We’re not going to do play-by-play on it. We’ve got to look at every possible way for our team to be better," Treliving said. “Mitch controls a lot of this whole thing. If there’s a way to make our team better, we’re going to do it. But we’re certainly not going to make a trade just so we can pound our chest and say, ‘Look, we’re different.'”

VS Brad on Nylander on December 7th, 2023

“I’ve stated it any time I’ve been asked: Our sole objective is to get him signed”​

• Haha
Reactions: ACC1224

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
That's just not true but if it helps you sleep at night to think that, you go right ahead.

I've watched most of the regular season games for over 50 years now and you seem like a decent sort, but I'm going to lose respect for you if you keep twisting my words around. I have never said that I "only" care about playoffs, just that I value playoff success more than I value regular season success and that regular season success becomes rather hollow when you keep shitting the bed in the playoffs. I'm pretty sure you understand the difference so I hope you'll stop with the nonsense.
At this point, I think he is enjoying playing devil's advocate. If not God bless, the fans satisfied with watching this team in the regular season. Hell, even then what have they won? Oh yeah, they won the COVID North Division.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Nylander is probably an impossibility.

Tavares should be gone but we know he won't.

Rantanen and Pastrnak were not slated anywhere near our draft spot, I don't want to pretend that we had the ability to know how they would turn out, we picked the right guys ranked around our draft slot.
Neither was Easton Cowan.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Maybe in your mind. Playoffs are won by teams that buy in and are willing to do whatever it takes. Sadly our guys are more interested in winning All-star games. Therein lies the problem. Damn, it it was a crap shoot, you'd think we could get to round 3 at least once in 8 tries. The Rangers have gone to round 3 the last 2/3 years since they wrote a letter to the fans saying they were taking a step back. since then, they have lapped the Leafs.
Im sure you’ve heard the expression, just get in, anything can happen, just get hot at the right time. Sounds like a crap shoot to me. The phrase is often used.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Im sure you’ve heard the expression, just get in, anything can happen, just get hot at the right time. Sounds like a crap shoot to me. The phrase is often used.
That's just a way to drum up some excitement for the fans of teams that don't really have a shot.
Playoffs typically go as expected.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Neither was Easton Cowan.

Only one outlet had him ranked there (as far as I know)

but it's the one I follow, they were also VERY high on Knies.

Sometimes teams go against the grain, I remember Colorado going off the board for Stastny and the Kings getting Hickey (but they screwed that up royally).

1717593938686.png

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Yet here we are 0 for 57 and counting. If only we could get lucky one year like the Oilers have this year.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Then why are people saying Edmonton had the easier path? Shouldn’t anything happen at anytime?

Reactions: ToneDog

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Playoffs are won by teams that buy in and are willing to do whatever it takes. Failed 8 times.
The core doesn't work. Change in needed. Marner is the odd man out.

That's life Mitch.

(don't throw your water bottle at me).

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
That's probably true for teams that play playoff hockey. Look at the Blues. Nobody was picking them that I recall.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Only one outlet had him ranked there (as far as I know)

but it's the one I follow, they were also VERY high on Knies.

View attachment 879686
He was sitting in the last row of the arena. He was clearly not expecting to be drafted in round #1 from what I recall. Here's hoping he does not turn into a pumpkin here.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He was sitting in the last row of the arena. He was clearly not expecting to be drafted in round #1 from what I recall. Here's hoping he does not turn into a pumpkin here.

I think Friedman said that contrary to popular opinion, he actually might have gone shortly after our pick so public list versus team lists are different.

I also think that there was a group from 25-35 or 40 that were interchangeable, this draft class is pretty unremarkable too so I expect every team's 25-50 to look different.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
We are just as much a contending team as the oilers.
@Bomber0104 leafs record vs Oilers over last 5 years, 11-4-2. You are correct I’m giving the Oilers too much credit, my mistake.
Regular season? They’re a great shinny team, but that just gets you to the playoffs where they are consistently the 10-16 th best team. They won the Canadian division, too.

Out of curiosity, what’s their record against Ottawa?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Have you heard the expression "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger"? Yup, that's also a load of bullshit.

Just because a phrase is often used, that doesn't mean it's actually true and you'd have to be rather gullible to think otherwise. :)

That's life Mitch.

(don't throw your water bottle at me).
LOLOLOL.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I also think you can win with multiple styles of playoff hockey. Colorado is a perfect example of a team that plays an offensive game in the playoffs, but still plays hard, fights in the corners, in front of the net, if they ever get a goalie they'd be pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad