Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
This. Unfortunately it feels like for Marner, the only measure of respect is how much money some GM is willing to throw his way and that same lack of character that is on full display during the playoffs may well make him petulantly refuse to move on from where he's no longer wanted.

This could turn into a shit show the likes of which Leaf fans haven't seen since the Ballard days.

If you don't like what goes on in knitting circles, perhaps it's time to find other ways to spend your time.
If they’ve told him he’s not in their plans going forward why does he want to stay, is it out of spite because I don’t see the upside for him in any of this………

Reactions: thewave

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
This. Unfortunately it feels like for Marner, the only measure of respect is how much money some GM is willing to throw his way and that same lack of character that is on full display during the playoffs may well make him petulantly refuse to move on from where he's no longer wanted.

This could turn into a shit show the likes of which Leaf fans haven't seen since the Ballard days.

If you don't like what goes on in knitting circles, perhaps it's time to find other ways to spend your time.
I just hope the Leafs can break the Dubas pay overpay model with this guy. So far it hasn’t looked that way. Or better yet, let him walk.
You know the routine, by November Marner will have like 35 points and Brad Marchand will be giving an interview how he is worth 14 million/year. And the people will go, hell yeah!
And the Leafs will go well we couldn’t trade him so let’s overpay him.
Pelley, do you have any new buzzwords when we lose in the 1st round?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Hard to believe, but life will go on after Marner.
It’s not about the name Marner, How many UFA’s scoring 90 plus points change teams? Shesterkin was a Rangers/ Lundqvist fan even before he was drafted but sure he will change teams at a fair price, ahhh no. Even at an overpayment I’d be shocked if he would come to this goalie killing team.

Make no mistake I’d be pissed we lose a 90 point player no mater what his name is , for a couple of checkers

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It’s not about the name Marner, How many UFA’s scoring 90 plus points change teams? Shesterkin was a Rangers/ Lundqvist fan even before he was drafted but sure he will change teams at a fair price, ahhh no. Even at an overpayment I’d be shocked if he would come to this goalie killing team.

Make no mistake I’d be pissed we lose a 90 point player no mater what his name is for a couple of checkers
The thing is, you don't care about the playoffs but for the majority that does, losing a guy who's known for being a playoff choker isn't h=something to be pissed about no matter how many regular season points he gets.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
The thing is, you don't care about the playoffs but for the majority that does, losing a guy who's known for being a playoff choker isn't h=something to be pissed about no matter how many regular season points he gets.
Marner is one player. How many teams have lost better players and been fine.
Plus people assume that’s it when he’s traded or walks. Nobody else is coming in with Matthews/Nylander? Nobody else will be given a chance? The top line will just be Matthews/Bertuzzi/empty wing?

Other players will be looked at and given chances they would never get. How do you think guys like Verhaeghe,Cousins,Bennett,etc. have become valuable. They were given chances where other teams didn’t give them.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
We can sign Klingberg, Samsanov, Bertuzzi, Domi, Reaves, and Kampf, and have $2 million left over! Woah, this is amazing!

We'd actually be able to sign Klingberg x 2 , Samsonov x 2 , Bertuzzi x 2 , Domi x 2 , Reaves x 2, and Kampf x 2.

You ignored that those caphits were previously on the team with Marner and Tavares' $22 million so you still have an additional $24 million to spend on players.

If Marner walks, the Leafs will be very active UFA shoppers in the next couple years whether they want to or not.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Yep yep yep, why would anything ever change, it is why we are what we are. Get fairly good trade away the future until it is obvious there will be no future and start over again. Rinse and repeat and on we go. Look out draft lottery here we come.
Why not do something different to try and build a contending team? I doubt Matthews’ ability to win big, but that’s the horse they’ve hooked their wagon to, so why not fill at least one hole this year, either on D or goalie.

If they put it off until next year, it’s probably too late to do anything in the Matthews era, and if they don’t get assets in return for Marner, then it’s moot.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
The thing about our style and personnel, we win a lot of games 6-4 or 5-3 and that's still one W even if it were 2-1. It's still one win.

I care about the regular season because I want us to win the Atlantic division so we can play a wildcard team.

I don't care about individual points when we still place 2nd or 3rd! What does it matter if Matthews scores 69 goals, Marner puts 100 points, if it doesn't even advance us in the standings?

I'd liquidate any of these guys so we have a deeper team if all it costs us is uglier stats. Who cares?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

You need someone a lot steadier in both regular/post-season.

There shouldn't be this much of a drop off, Matthews isn't perfect either.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
You need someone a lot steadier in both regular/post-season.

There shouldn't be this much of a drop off, Matthews isn't perfect either.

So what happens if we lose Marner this or next off-season and Matthews continues to shit the bed in the playoffs?

We spend all of spring/summer-2025 posting hysterically every day on HFBoards demanding Matthews be traded with a full NMC?

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
The thing about our style and personnel, we win a lot of games 6-4 or 5-3 and that's still one W even if it were 2-1. It's still one win.

I care about the regular season because I want us to win the Atlantic division so we can play a wildcard team.

I don't care about individual points when we still place 2nd or 3rd! What does it matter if Matthews scores 69 goals, Marner puts 100 points, if it doesn't even advance us in the standings?

I'd liquidate any of these guys so we have a deeper team if all it costs us is uglier stats. Who cares?
I harped endlessly last year about how important it was for this team to win the division. It will be the same story next season. The difference between playing Washington/Islanders or Boston/Florida in the first round is not insignificant. I doubt the wild card teams in the East will be any better next season.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
So what happens if we lose Marner this or next off-season and Matthews continues to shit the bed in the playoffs?

We spend all of spring/summer-2025 posting hysterically every day on HFBoards demanding Matthews be traded with a full NMC?
There’s no doubt that Matthews is still a big ?. If they cant build a contender around him then maybe they will consider moving him, but there’s no expectations for at least two more years.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

For some, if it's not that it'll be something else.
Circle of HF life. :laugh:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

I went through 2 different scenarios in the Matthews thread but realistically, if we make the playoffs and Matthews does well, whether Marner leaves this off-season or not, I think people will just say it was a transitional year.

If Marner leaves this off-season and/or Matthews has a bad playoff again, I actually think the noise around Matthews and his ability to do well in the playoffs will get louder.

We all want to love the team, Marner and Matthews should be legends in this city but we're nearly a decade into some really...mediocre (putting it politely) playoffs. We're paying the highest salaries in the league and just don't have much to show for it.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Why not do something different to try and build a contending team? I doubt Matthews’ ability to win big, but that’s the horse they’ve hooked their wagon to, so why not fill at least one hole this year, either on D or goalie.

If they put it off until next year, it’s probably too late to do anything in the Matthews era, and if they don’t get assets in return for Marner, then it’s moot.
We are just as much a contending team as the oilers.
@Bomber0104 leafs record vs Oilers over last 5 years, 11-4-2. You are correct I’m giving the Oilers too much credit, my mistake.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Bomber0104

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I harped endlessly last year about how important it was for this team to win the division. It will be the same story next season. The difference between playing Washington/Islanders or Boston/Florida in the first round is not insignificant. I doubt the wild card teams in the East will be any better next season.
The Atlantic was weak this year and they were a lot closer to the wild the card teams than Florida.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

Marner this off season
Methews 2025
Nylander 2026

we extend Captain Mumbles for 8 yrs and build around the worst playoff performer out of the core 4 since for some reason we owe him

Reactions: Bomber0104

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
You guys keep calling him a playoff choker yet he has more playoff points than anyone else on this team. But ok and yeah I do put an importance on playing exciting hockey year round.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
I just hope the Leafs can break the Dubas pay overpay model with this guy. So far it hasn’t looked that way. Or better yet, let him walk.
You know the routine, by November Marner will have like 35 points and Brad Marchand will be giving an interview how he is worth 14 million/year. And the people will go, hell yeah!
And the Leafs will go well we couldn’t trade him so let’s overpay him.
Pelley, do you have any new buzzwords when we lose in the 1st round?

As Marchand is such a fan, maybe he'd welcome Marner on his team.

If Mitch thinks TO is a tough spot to play, could you imagine him in Beantown? The fans would skin him alive.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I went through 2 different scenarios in the Matthews thread but realistically, if we make the playoffs and Matthews does well, whether Marner leaves this off-season or not, I think people will just say it was a transitional year.

If Marner leaves this off-season and/or Matthews has a bad playoff again, I actually think the noise around Matthews and his ability to do well in the playoffs will get louder.

We all want to love the team, Marner and Matthews should be legends in this city but we're nearly a decade into some really...mediocre (putting it politely) playoffs. We're paying the highest salaries in the league and just don't have much to show for it.
That's not true for some in the slightest. The idiocy spewed daily that has nothing to do with his play is proof of that.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
That word is a real trigger for you. There are people who want him to stay out of emotion and people who want him gone out of emotion. Likewise for rational reasons. It's not bad to be emotional about a sports team. Fan emotion is the straw that stirs the drink. It is bad however to run a team on emotion.
Again, who says that if they trade Marner that they are running the team on emotion? That's your take so you can cope.

I was looking forward to this post. TSN today just said "Marner holds all the cards".

And there is a good chance he decides not to waive, as per the thousand of rumors saying such.

So, 57 years of no balls, have a cookie.
Media spin. Tell me, who owns TSN again?

Reactions: thewave
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad