Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018

Leafs’ priorities and Marner

Toronto Maple Leafs GM Brad Treliving had a packed Tuesday, his first day at the combine. It was meeting after meeting after meeting — some with player agents, some with other GMs, and obviously some with draft hopefuls.

“You’ve been talking to teams since the season ended, so met a few of them here,” Treliving told The Athletic on Tuesday. “And we’ve got several unrestricted and restricted free agents, so you’re meeting with agents on them and seeing if there’s a path to a deal. In some cases, the path is smoother than others.

“It’s early in some of the processes. So you’re meeting on that. And obviously the bulk of your time here is meeting with the kids for the combine.”

Treliving reiterated he remains interested in re-signing pending UFAs Max Domi and Tyler Bertuzzi if possible.

“But it’s got to work for them and it’s got to work for us,” he said. “We’ve got, certainly, some issues that we have to address on the roster. There’s a pie and there’s only so much to go around.

“We’ve got a few guys who are up. And part of this is getting better, too. It’s not just being the same. You’re trying to get better in the process, as well. So we’ll see.”

Mitch Marner’s future has been the most-talked-about subject in the Toronto market. He’s got a year left on his deal and a full no-move clause. Treliving and Marner’s agent, Darren Ferris, as one would expect, met Tuesday.
“The thing I would say is, be very, very careful of what you read out there,” Treliving said when asked about Marner speculation. “Mitch is a hell of a player. He’s going into the last year of his contract. We’re not going to comment on any players. Any business that we conduct, we’ll do that between Darren Ferris and us. We’re not going to do play-by-play on it. We’ve got to look at every possible way for our team to be better.

“Mitch controls a lot of this whole thing (with the no-trade). If there’s a way to make our team better, we’re going to do it. But we’re certainly not going to make a trade just so we can pound our chest and say, ‘Look, we’re different.'”

But as Treliving reiterated, they will explore any meaningful way to make the team better. That’s his job as GM.

Reading between the lines, all options on Marner remain on the table:

1. He stays in Toronto and plays out his contract next season.

2. The Leafs look to extend him eventually.

3. Toronto gets a trade offer it feels makes too much sense and brings it to Marner’s camp (and no team would trade for Marner without an extension in place).

“We’re not scared to be bold and do things,” Treliving said. “But there’s got to be things to do out there.

“So we’ll see. But for me, we’ve got a really good player in Mitch Marner. That’s a good thing. We’ll just keep plugging away on it.”

Last edited:

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Couple of interesting quotes from Lebrun’s interview with Treliving

“The thing I would say is, be very, very careful of what you read out there”

“We’re not scared to be bold and do things,”. “But there’s got to be things to do out there.”

Great interview. I would recommend signing up for the Athletic to read it.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Good. Maybe we can find our own Bouchard/Makar/MacAvoy/Heiskanen/Hughes in that draft.
Yep yep yep, why would anything ever change, it is why we are what we are. Get fairly good trade away the future until it is obvious there will be no future and start over again. Rinse and repeat and on we go. Look out draft lottery here we come.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Yep yep yep, why would anything ever change, it is why we are what we are. Get fairly good trade away the future until it is obvious there will be no future and start over again. Rinse and repeat and on we go. Look out draft lottery here we come.
What do Tampa, Colorado and Edmonton all have in common?
They took a step back with their stars and drafted Makar, Bouchard and Drouin (who became Sergachev). These D all figure prominently in their makeup. What have we been drafting? Trouble is we are stuck in neutral with 4 overpaid forwards spinning our wheels.
Do you want to keep making the playoffs and lose in the 1st or quick 2nd (if we get lucky) for eternity? It seems many people do.

Reactions: CincoHolio

QJo

Luke Warmtakes
Dec 8, 2016
Ontario
I'd say the "emotional" ones are the ones who are irrationally attached to a player (any player) that hasn't lived up to his contract, especially in the playoffs.

The rational ones are the ones who want to move on from non performing assets to make the TEAM better.
That word is a real trigger for you. There are people who want him to stay out of emotion and people who want him gone out of emotion. Likewise for rational reasons. It's not bad to be emotional about a sports team. Fan emotion is the straw that stirs the drink. It is bad however to run a team on emotion.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
What do Tampa, Colorado and Edmonton all have in common?
They took a step back with their stars and drafted Makar, Bouchard and Drouin (who became Sergachev). These D all figure prominently in their makeup. What have we been drafting? Trouble is we are stuck in neutral with 4 overpaid forwards spinning our wheels.
Do you want to keep making the playoffs and lose in the 1st or quick 2nd (if we get lucky) for eternity? It seems many people do.
I’d like to watch entertaining hockey all year round, win more games than we lose. Make the playoffs and then anything can happen. Lose in the 1st round, well I miss a few games that could be very exciting. Not a big deal.

The alternative start over not a hope in hell of making playoffs but we will draft well for a few years. It’s ground hog day all over again.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Couple of interesting quotes from Lebrun’s interview with Treliving

“The thing I would say is, be very, very careful of what you read out there”

“We’re not scared to be bold and do things,”. “But there’s got to be things to do out there.”

Great interview. I would recommend signing up for the Athletic to read it.
i posted the whole thing above

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
PROGRESS!!! One way or another... This JOKE is not gonna be a Leaf if not next season then the season after

:yo:

GPPanEMXkAEYg4Y

Reactions: Arzak and Cleetus

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Treliving quotes on Marner:

“The thing I would say is, be very, very careful of what you read out there,” Treliving said when asked about Marner speculation. “Mitch is a hell of a player. He’s going into the last year of his contract. We’re not going to comment on any players. Any business that we conduct, we’ll do that between Darren Ferris and us. We’re not going to do play-by-play on it. We’ve got to look at every possible way for our team to be better.”

“Mitch controls a lot of this whole thing (with the no-trade). If there’s a way to make our team better, we’re going to do it. But we’re certainly not going to make a trade just so we can pound our chest and say, ‘Look, we’re different.'”

“We’re not scared to be bold and do things,” Treliving said. “But there’s got to be things to do out there.”

“So we’ll see. But for me, we’ve got a really good player in Mitch Marner. That’s a good thing. We’ll just keep plugging away on it.”

Sounds like they'd move him if it was up to the Leafs. Very interesting.

Back to the gutter...

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
If Marner doesn't want to discuss an extension now, then we know where this is going.

Fix the defence and goaltending this year. Next year, fix the top 6:

Bertuzzi Matthews Nylander
Knies Draisaitl Cowan

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
To me. The “Mitch controls these things” acknowledging a player by name about trades seems odd.

Sounds like “Mitch controls this” indicates an interest in trade.

I doubt he would respond the same re Matthews.
If I was to read between the lines, he may as well have said, we want to trade him but he isn’t giving up his NMC. So drop the puck. Lol

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Mitch is basically a $11 million placeholder. There’s literally no concern or worry that he walks himself out the door and we get zero trade return because that’s $11 million in freedom July 2025. Play hardball and nasty all you want. It’s over in 13 months time in a free agent class that currently consists of Draisaitl, Rantanen and Shesterkin.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Mitch is basically a $11 million placeholder. There’s literally no concern or worry that he walks himself out the door and we get zero trade return because that’s $11 million in freedom July 2025. Play hardball and nasty all you want. It’s over in 13 months time in a free agent class that currently consists of Draisaitl, Rantanen and Shesterkin.
I guess if we overpay one of those guys by 2 million he may consider coming here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad