Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Kadri trade was a big move. ROR was a big move. Muzzin was a big move. Signing Tavares was a big move.

Dumb doesn’t make it big.

I’ll give you Tavares as big, if you acknowledge it was a predictable failure and he sucks for doing it

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Yeah I can’t watch some of these guys anymore.
I’ll see you at the next rebuild if things don’t change significantly.
I was a fan as a child listening in the kitchen radio vs Detroit.
I loved the 60s, Big M, Shakey Walton, Baun, Greer, Horton, Stanley, Keon, Pully.
I survived until Gilmore, Salming, Clark, but loved Jim Dorry.
Not going away now

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Dumb doesn’t make it big.

I’ll give you Tavares as big, if you acknowledge it was a predictable failure and he sucks for doing it

They were all big swings. Things where if you lose it hurts. So far they have been doing safe 3rd rounders for rental moves. They need to take a risk that they can be a loser. The team needs to get better

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
They get away with providing a mediocre product because the consumer is happy with a mediocre product, how stupid can a fan base get…….
I could supply sveral references in this thread but I don't want to get infracted.

HINT: They're emotionally attached or have a business or personal relationship to a player.

I can’t tell if you’re under 12 or over 69?
Are you talking about your IQ?

• Haha
Reactions: thewave and Arzak

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I was a fan as a child listening in the kitchen radio vs Detroit.
I loved the 60s, Big M, Shakey Walton, Baun, Greer, Horton, Stanley, Keon, Pully.
I survived until Gilmore, Salming, Clark, but loved Jim Dorry.
Not going away now
You loved those guys right. Even if you didn’t win, we all want to win, but you cared about the players on the team. That’s great if you’re in for the long haul and not going away, but I’ve never disliked players on this team until now. So another thing I can thank them for.

The Jays are struggling this year. I want them to win but I’ll keep going if they don’t because I like the players. I like who they are.

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007

I'm not a spiteful person but if his re-signing thins the herd around here that can only be a good thing.

Translation: "I only care about the secondary market value of my season tix and like the real fan I am, I sell my playoff tix to Boston fans."

Much more accurate.

• Haha
Reactions: thewave

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
You loved those guys right. Even if you didn’t win, we all want to win, but you cared about the players on the team. That’s great if you’re in for the long haul and not going away, but I’ve never disliked players on this team until now. So another thing I can thank them for.

The Jays are struggling this year. I want them to win but I’ll keep going if they don’t because I like the players. I like who they are.
I hate the Jay's, how can anyone like Vladdy.
I will admit, not many Leafs are likeable..Geo ok, McMahon, Knies, Woll, Robertson, WN, even AM is good, but no feeling for the rest. Domi came home..bs, to coast.
Bert..no, to have a baby.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
We need his cap space. It’s that simple.

Right now, yeah we do.

But that may be a slightly shortsighted viewpoint.

Tavares is a year away from coming off the books, and he might be the most overpaid player in the league in terms of actual dollars. He's probably overpaid by $5-6m per season.

Give it another year, a $92m cap, or $96m the year after, and Tavares off the books; there would be quite some flexibility for the Leafs to spend. The Leafs have quite a few depth pieces that are not likely to cost them much in the next few years.

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
Right now, yeah we do.

But that may be a slightly shortsighted viewpoint.

Tavares is a year away from coming off the books, and he might be the most overpaid player in the league in terms of actual dollars. He's probably overpaid by $5-6m per season.

Give it another year, a $92m cap, or $96m the year after, and Tavares off the books; there would be quite some flexibility for the Leafs to spend. The Leafs have quite a few depth pieces that are not likely to cost them much in the next few years.
Please tell me how Marner's playoff performance translates in relation to other highly paid players. Include Matthews, to further prove my point.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
**** sakes

You don't trade a 90-100 point Selke candidate for ******* cap space

This is the same emotional crap I was reading before Kadri was traded, it didn't go well and we got absolutely rinsed

Either get a good quality offer and make a trade or hang onto him and use the other 20M in cap space you already have to make the team better

You don't just give guys like this away for Cap space

Reactions: Mr_Fun and ACC1224

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Please tell me how Marner's playoff performance translates in relation to other highly paid players. Include Matthews, to further prove my point.

Well... if we go strictly by points... Matthews has 48 in 55 on his career... Marner has 50 in 57.... basically splitting hairs from a point-production standpoint. Obviously Matthews scores more goals, he's a different player.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Marner's playoff play. He's disappeared for very long stretches and that's a problem. However, not all playoff games go 2-1 scores. Occasionally the ice does open up, and that's where Marner shines.

For the record, I'm also not suggesting to keep Marner.... I'm simply arguing that we should not be so narrow-minded on the topic. The cap crunch is alleviating with JT off the books and the rising cap. If the Max Domi's of the world are able to command $6m with term, and Chandler Stephenson or Elias Lindholm are looking at $8m+ in the new cap era, having Marner at $11.5 may not be a travesty.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Losing him for nothing would really suck, he is an incredible player. But I'd still take that outcome 100 times out of 100 over seeing a repeat of the Leafs' capitulation to him last time and his failure to live up to expectations.

It's his right to wait until free agency and move elsewhere. I wish he could work with the organization and make up for how badly he screwed them, but obviously that's not in his nature

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
Well... if we go strictly by points... Matthews has 48 in 55 on his career... Marner has 50 in 57.... basically splitting hairs from a point-production standpoint. Obviously Matthews scores more goals, he's a different player.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Marner's playoff play. He's disappeared for very long stretches and that's a problem. However, not all playoff games go 2-1 scores. Occasionally the ice does open up, and that's where Marner shines.

For the record, I'm also not suggesting to keep Marner.... I'm simply arguing that we should not be so narrow-minded on the topic. The cap crunch is alleviating with JT off the books and the rising cap. If the Max Domi's of the world are able to command $6m with term in the new cap era, having Marner at $11.5 may not be a travesty.
His cap hit ain't worth him showing up "occassionally". I know that applies to others as well but his contract is the one that's up. One step at a time.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

For the record, I'm also not suggesting to keep Marner.... I'm simply arguing that we should not be so narrow-minded on the topic. The cap crunch is alleviating with JT off the books and the rising cap. If the Max Domi's of the world are able to command $6m with term, and Chandler Stephenson or Elias Lindholm are looking at $8m+ in the new cap era, having Marner at $11.5 may not be a travesty.
If he keeps choking in the playoffs, it would most certainly be a travesty.

All eyes are on him, I'm pretty sure his teammates are no exception and if he keeps on choking, I feel like he becomes this black hole that just sucks the energy away from everyone.

He needs to go, there's no other way to clear the air.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

Marner hasn't shined in 8 playoffs. I don't know if he's even had 1 game where he looked like an elite player. Matthews and Nylander have. And it's not just his production... at least Matthews physically is in the game and has an elite release/shot, and Nylander has elite speed, a great shot and excellent core stength for playoff hockey. Marner? He doesn't check, he doesn't go to the front of the net, he won't take a hit to make a play, he won't go into a corner, won't enter a scrum, a weak shot, zero core strength, and an average to below average speed. Unless he suddenly turns into Zach Hyman around the net, I don't see this guy ever being able to suddenly turn it around. Marner is just nowhere near outfitted for playoff hockey.

He can't even get shots on net... I think he had 8 5vs5 shots in 7 games this past postseason. I can't imagine how much worse he'd have looked if he didn't have Matthews coat tails to ride and pad his stats.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
And so the games begin, I love it. Timing of this tells me the Leafs aren't talking/thinking extension and Marner's side is getting antsy. Mitch/Paul/Ferris publicly put the ball in Toronto's court, better sign my client or he'll walk for nothing.

This should be fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad