Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LXXXVIII: The Liaison of Doom

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I read that last night. Charlie bemoans catch-all stats, but he uses RAPM quite regularly as one in articles. He slurred a lot together in this argument, and I'm not sure RAPM always yields a clean conclusion.

You and I both think JVR gets a bad rap; he had a bad season, but inherently, he's not a bad player still. Well, in 2 of JVR's seasons here, I believe he led the team in RAPM, and that was after a bad first year. RAPM basically isolates individual impacts in play-driving numbers, but it's hard for that to pass to the smell test -- that JVR, a player with specific weaknesses in self-generating across 3 zones, is the least teammate affected player stylistically. So, I can turn the idea of using many data points back at Charlie.

After Jake responded, he walked it back saying both are good players. After clearly saying otherwise. He talks decline: Atkinson had 2 years of it before joining. It's hard for me to throw away how poor Atkinson's relative numbers were without Giroux......the same relative xGF% as Voracek with his primary linemate and known drag, Laine (Voracek performed break even apart). That's not me saying Atkinson doesn't provide value. But someone like Charlie would also know that playmakers are subject to the most underselling in value models -- pass quality is just hard to quantify still. And we're dealing with THE most extreme playmaker in recent years. The original point was about the PP, and he's still clearly a boon there, unlike the always PP poor Atkinson.

JFresh said at the time of the trade that Voracek likely is a guy who the RAPM model misses on because he’s still a 99% A/1 guy despite the lack of volume. He consistently outperforms it. He also has/had some solid micro stats.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I didn’t mind the trade, but there’s a pretty good chance Voracek outscores Atkinson by 20+ points this season.

CA missed the end of last season with injury and is now injured again.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I didn’t mind the trade, but there’s a pretty good chance Voracek outscores Atkinson by 20+ points this season.

CA missed the end of last season with injury and is now injured again.

I don’t really care about either player at this point especially within the context of on the ice for the Flyers. But Voracek’s deal ends a year earlier. That was always the kicker for me & that’s especially now that the team hit bottom.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
It's just part and parcel with Chuck Fletcher obsessing over grit and goal scoring -- at the amateur and professional level -- and neglecting passing and transition. Voracek wouldn't make much of a dent in this being a playoff roster, Atkinson doesn't stink either (but 3 years is an eternity), and that's not really the point.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
“Well we haven’t won a thing with McDavid either so trading him would be fine. He’s not enough to turn this team into a contender.”

-random fan who doesn’t understand how team sports work
"You're not just going to fill the net during the playoffs and outscore teams. You have to play on the other side of the puck."

-random head coach of a shitty hockey team

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
@DancingPanther

The Avs article is out but… they’re not on the list yet. I don’t think they’re #1.

They’re basically the same as the Flyers though.

5C0BE551-A668-42BD-AB2C-8210EE0D918C.png
F51A8E95-DE4C-4ABB-A065-437833C4AFEE.png

32. Arizona Coyotes

31. Montreal Canadiens

30. Chicago Blackhawks

29. Buffalo Sabres

28. Philadelphia Flyers

27. Columbus Blue Jackets

26. San Jose Sharks

25. Anaheim Ducks

24. Detroit Red Wings

23. Seattle Kraken