Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LXXXVIII: The Liaison of Doom

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
People are excited b/c G puts up 3 points against scrubs? Isn't that grasping at straws?

It’s called being tongue in cheek. Giroux will assuredly produce in spades this regular season.

But I’d be careful throwing that preseason comment around when some bum like MacEwen makes a single puck maneuver in preseason and gets especially praised.

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
But I’d be careful throwing that preseason comment around when some bum like MacEwen makes a single puck maneuver in preseason and gets especially praised.

Great f***ing burn.

It takes a real special kind of person to be THAT disingenuous ALL of the time.

It's f***ing disgusting, man.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
People are excited b/c G puts up 3 points against scrubs? Isn't that grasping at straws?
He'll had a solid year for them, but he's not going to carry them, they'll go as far as their young players take them.

Burns made more sense for Carolina than TDA, they don't want upside, they want a predictable veteran, and he's a lot more physical and has a lot of PO experience.
Always a good sign when a successful team gives you its 27 year old defenseman so they can acquire a 37 year old one.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
He really is the biggest, most hypocritical, c***

I read that last night. Charlie bemoans catch-all stats, but he uses RAPM quite regularly as one in articles. He slurred a lot together in this argument, and I'm not sure RAPM always yields a clean conclusion.

You and I both think JVR gets a bad rap; he had a bad season, but inherently, he's not a bad player still. Well, in 2 of JVR's seasons here, I believe he led the team in RAPM, and that was after a bad first year. RAPM basically isolates individual impacts in play-driving numbers, but it's hard for that to pass to the smell test -- that JVR, a player with specific weaknesses in self-generating across 3 zones, is the least teammate affected player stylistically. So, I can turn the idea of using many data points back at Charlie.

After Jake responded, he walked it back saying both are good players. After clearly saying otherwise. He talks decline: Atkinson had 2 years of it before joining. It's hard for me to throw away how poor Atkinson's relative numbers were without Giroux......the same relative xGF% as Voracek with his primary linemate and known drag, Laine (Voracek performed break even apart). That's not me saying Atkinson doesn't provide value. But someone like Charlie would also know that playmakers are subject to the most underselling in value models -- pass quality is just hard to quantify still. And we're dealing with THE most extreme playmaker in recent years. The original point was about the PP, and he's still clearly a boon there, unlike the always PP poor Atkinson.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I read that last night. Charlie bemoans catch-all stats, but he uses RAPM quite regularly as one in articles. He slurred a lot together in this argument, and I'm not sure RAPM always yields a clean conclusion.

You and I both think JVR gets a bad rap; he had a bad season, but inherently, he's not a bad player still. Well, in 2 of JVR's seasons here, I believe he led the team in RAPM, and that was after a bad first year. RAPM basically isolates individual impacts in play-driving numbers, but it's hard for that to pass to the smell test -- that JVR, a player with specific weaknesses in self-generating across 3 zones, is the least teammate affected player stylistically. So, I can turn the idea of using many data points back at Charlie.

After Jake responded, he walked it back saying both are good players. After clearly saying otherwise. He talks decline: Atkinson had 2 years of it before joining. It's hard for me to throw away how poor Atkinson's relative numbers were without Giroux......the same relative xGF% as Voracek with his primary linemate and known drag, Laine (Voracek performed break even apart). That's not me saying Atkinson doesn't provide value. But someone like Charlie would also know that playmakers are subject to the most underselling in value models -- pass quality is just hard to quantify still. And we're dealing with THE most extreme playmaker in recent years. The original point was about the PP, and he's still clearly a boon there, unlike the always PP poor Atkinson.
A truly wonderful post and it’s such a shame Charlie can’t be forced to read it.

Chinatown88

349 days and counting
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
Edit - just love Jake. End of message
I'm still miffed that they got garbage returns for Claude and Jake. But the fact that they got out of this shithole and are happy makes it all better. Everything surrounding this organization is a damn farce and it's comedic that they think they can hoodwink people into believing.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Jake is a such a puss box. Straight up loser. No wonder no contending teams ever shown any interest in him.

I'm still miffed that they got garbage returns for Claude and Jake. But the fact that they got out of this shithole and are happy makes it all better. Everything surrounding this organization is a damn farce and it's comedic that they think they can hoodwink people into believing.
Why do you think they got the return they did on Jake?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

He also used RAPM last year to say Risto > Ghost at ES even though we have years of data that says otherwise.

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
FB_IMG_1664814498231.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad