Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LXXXVI: 86 Proof

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
The people who pushed for them. I am not a millennial. My generation surely isnt responsible

Got a troll warning for saying enjoy your coke zero. What is that about?
Who pushed for them? Was it the three year olds that demanded them or their parents that decided it was easier to just give out trophies so they didn't have to parent?

Probably should refresh yourself with the Site Rules that you agreed to while signing up.

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
OK, boomer.
20220607_175516.jpg

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Actually, one of the myths out there is how "easy" the boomers had it.
If you were born in 1955-1960 or so, it actually sucked for the most part.
You hit the job market with the recessions of 1974, 1980 and 1982.
Women entering the work force drove down wages for decades by inflating the labor supply.
If you were middle management, computers decimated your ranks, and millions were laid off in the 1980s and 1990s, and the trend continued into the next millennium.

The golden generation was the one born from 1960 to 1975 or so, when they came of age, the economy boomed for two decades, providing opportunities for advancement. They were more computer literate, so they could leapfrog their elders.

The recession of 2008 was the first "traumatic" event since 1982.
The COVID recession was relatively mild due to government policies to avoid a deep trough.
And the current labor shortage means you might have a temporary decline in income due to inflation, but that's far less painful than a year of unemployment (and the permanent hit to income).

A note on housing costs - I just saw an interesting factoid that when you adjust for square footage, housing costs haven't really risen over the last four decades - but the size of the standard house has more than doubled. What's inflated are expectations of what is "normal."

Expectations have as much to do with (un)happiness as your actual situation, if you expect that you'll be upper middle class with ever increasing income, and end up in the middle, even if overall you're far richer than most Americans 30 years ago, you'll feel dissatisfied with how your life turned out. Because we tend to measure ourselves relative to our peers - instead of focusing on what we really want in life, we yearn for what they have.

I just want to be clear that I wasn't saying anyone had it easy. I know I'm not in tune with economical flows outside of my memory to even offer an opinion.

The square footage tidbit doesn't surprise me. That's what happens when you mostly build single family homes. Where I live is a barrier island. There was a shift away from the traditional duplexes and cottages to bigger and bigger single family homes about 20 years ago. It keeps accelerating. Our house is ~3400 sq ft. The house that was knocked down to build it was ~1200.

On a related note, the population of this island is decreasing and isn't nearly as friendly as it used to be. Now it leans into FAMILY FRIENDLY being code for an excuse to be judgemental. I originally moved here because the offseason population was overwhelmingly friendly.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I just want to be clear that I wasn't saying anyone had it easy. I know I'm not in tune with economical flows outside of my memory to even offer an opinion.

The square footage tidbit doesn't surprise me. That's what happens when you mostly build single family homes. Where I live is a barrier island. There was a shift away from the traditional duplexes and cottages to bigger and bigger single family homes about 20 years ago. It keeps accelerating. Our house is ~3400 sq ft. The house that was knocked down to build it was ~1200.

On a related note, the population of this island is decreasing and isn't nearly as friendly as it used to be. Now it leans into FAMILY FRIENDLY being code for an excuse to be judgemental. I originally moved here because the offseason population was overwhelmingly friendly.

Don't lie. You moved for the cheesesteaks.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
I'd erase cell phones so quickly it would make your head spin.

Ironic, as posting on a message board, but I'd love to see a world with less tech. I fondly remember the days where it wasn't as much of a thing. I'm very pleased, being able to "escape" within an hour drive - and couldn't imagine a big city lifestyle.

Me and most of my tech-working friends would join you. :laugh:

Can we keep the actual phone call part for emergencies though? I really don't want to be using a call box on the AC Expressway at 3 AM.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Who pushed for them? Was it the three year olds that demanded them or their parents that decided it was easier to just give out trophies so they didn't have to parent?

Probably should refresh yourself with the Site Rules that you agreed to while signing up.
yes it was the 3 year olds. Wall of Flocker rules.

Are you a believer in the participation trophy era?

There are site rules for saying enjoy your coke. That is a first.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

girl-sure-jan.gif

P.S.

10) Warnings are issued anonymously. If you believe a warning is unjustified use the Contact Us form to tell us why. Do not attempt to excuse your behavior by pointing at others. Be respectful and courteous. You will only receive a reply if your complaint has merit.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

It’s tough to compare given the league’s infrastructure. The hard cap in the NHL devalues established players even like Eichel & Tkachuk while overvalues unproven players because cheap contracts whether they’re ELC’s &/or second RFA deals are where you could get big value gains.

Even the Soto deal is rare for baseball now a days as teams are pretty stingy with who they consider their “A” caliber prospects. So teams don’t usually blow out essentially their top 5 prospect pool even for MLB players. But this a young superstar player with multiple years control left. So this is different.

Prospect outcomes are generally on longer curves & more volatile in baseball than hockey too. The NHL still pays a good penny in free agency based on past performance where the MLB really doesn’t much anymore.

Huberdeau & Weegar might not get dealt if the NHL had a soft cap & the approach across they league was more Moneyball in terms of age curves & contract value. Those two guys are probably set to potentially be two of the top UFA’s on the market next summer despite being nearly 30 years old. So that devalues them as players in the NHL’s world.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018

It’s tough to compare given the league’s infrastructure. The hard cap in the NHL devalues established players even like Eichel & Tkachuk while overvalues unproven players because cheap contracts whether they’re ELC’s &/or second RFA deals are where you could get big value gains.

Even the Soto deal is rare for baseball now a days as teams are pretty stingy with who they consider their “A” caliber prospects. So teams don’t usually blow out essentially their top 5 prospect pool even for MLB players. But this a young superstar player with multiple years control left. So this is different.

Prospect outcomes are generally on longer curves & more volatile in baseball than hockey too. The NHL still pays a good penny in free agency based on past performance where the MLB really doesn’t much anymore.

Huberdeau & Weegar might not get dealt if the NHL had a soft cap & the approach across they league was more Moneyball in terms of age curves & contract value. Those two guys are probably set to potentially be two of the top UFA’s on the market next summer despite being nearly 30 years old. So that devalues them as players in the NHL’s world.

Im having a hard time coming up with a good comp. Only going off of my memory, but it seems to be some combo of the Eichel and Lindros trades? It's hard because baseball trades prospects and hockey trades picks.

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020
Keep the participation trophy. Gimme a house for a 150$K, and affordable gas.
Also able to live off of minimum wage like they could back then, I make decent money, not the best, but not enough for the economy that older Generations decimated, I worked for Amazon and now I'm at apple, and no not in the warehouse, but with computers and I don't make nearly enough for what I do

Maybe there was more context that you're leaving out that they saw as demeaning ....

Reactions: Cody Webster
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad