Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LXXXVI: 86 Proof

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Edm fans desperate for d lol;

‘’Broberg+Puljujarvi+1st+Barrie for Chychrun or Provorov"
Actually a deal around Broberg and a 1st would make sense for the Flyers if Edmonton is desperate for a veteran LHD.
Flyers would get a young promising LHD, moving York into the top 4, and a 2nd 2023 1st.
I think Barrie and Puliujarvi would be to make the salaries work. That would clear $7.5M to allow them to add Provorov.

Though the Flyers would then want to flip Barrie, maybe with money retained.
Barrie has 2 yrs left at $4.5M, pricey for a 3rd pair D-man, but he was their PP1 QB as well.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Provorov -- there's another player who is only 25 and if he can take a step up and become closer to the player everyone thought it would help the Flyers immensely.

The roster is littered with potential breakouts. They're going to need a few, but it's not like it's completely hopeless.

Reactions: BernieParent

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Provorov -- there's another player who is only 25 and if he can take a step up and become closer to the player everyone thought it would help the Flyers immensely.

The roster is littered with potential breakouts. They're going to need a few, but it's not like it's completely hopeless.
age doesn't matter. NHL age is more important. 6 years under his belt now. He is someone who needs a change of scenery if he is to hit another gear.

Actually a deal around Broberg and a 1st would make sense for the Flyers if Edmonton is desperate for a veteran LHD.
Flyers would get a young promising LHD, moving York into the top 4, and a 2nd 2023 1st.
I think Barrie and Puliujarvi would be to make the salaries work. That would clear $7.5M to allow them to add Provorov.

Though the Flyers would then want to flip Barrie, maybe with money retained.
Barrie has 2 yrs left at $4.5M, pricey for a 3rd pair D-man, but he was their PP1 QB as well.
Barrie and Tony D would be an interesting pair.

I may roll the dice on that trade. In fact why not

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013

That's where Tortorella can make a difference. Provy's coaches so far have been Hakstol and AV (not counting the interim coaches because those seasons were lost anyway). Hakstol was in over his head from day one and players under AV aren't exactly known for having career years. Tortorella on the other hand seems to know how to get the best out of his d-men. Del Zotto had a 40+ point season under him in New York.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
That's where Tortorella can make a difference. Provy's coaches so far have been Hakstol and AV (not counting the interim coaches because those seasons were lost anyway). Hakstol was in over his head from day one and players under AV aren't exactly known for having career years. Tortorella on the other hand seems to know how to get the best out of his d-men. Del Zotto had a 40+ point season under him in New York.
I'm really hoping that Torts and Shaw can fix Provorov. I don't see it as out of the realm of possibility.

I don't want to believe that Provorov is truly as bad as he looked last season. He only turned 25 in January. He wasn't always that bad, even if he was overrated. He's got to still be redeemable, and Torts and Shaw seem the guys who might be able to do it.

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020
age doesn't matter. NHL age is more important. 6 years under his belt now. He is someone who needs a change of scenery if he is to hit another gear.

Barrie and Tony D would be an interesting pair.

I may roll the dice on that trade. In fact why not
They'd be a horrible pair. Both strictly right handed defensemen only
In fact if they did that trade they'd roll with
Sanhiem Tony d
York risto
broberg barrie
I'm really hoping that Torts and Shaw can fix Provorov. I don't see it as out of the realm of possibility.

I don't want to believe that Provorov is truly as bad as he looked last season. He only turned 25 in January. He wasn't always that bad, even if he was overrated. He's got to still be redeemable, and Torts and Shaw seem the guys who might be able to do it.
I guess I'm the only person who really likes provy, could be my bias since all season I was praying we'd draft him, I still think he's a very solid dman, yeah a little upsetting he's not a #1 but he's a low end #2 high #3 I'm not one actively looking to get rid of him

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Sanhiem Tony d
York risto
broberg barrie

I guess I'm the only person who really likes provy, could be my bias since all season I was praying we'd draft him, I still think he's a very solid dman, yeah a little upsetting he's not a #1 but he's a low end #2 high #3 I'm not one actively looking to get rid of him
pure sarcasm

Reactions: BernieParent

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
Sanhiem Tony d
York risto
broberg barrie

Its just this board..... unless your Ghost or Sanheim your sh**

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
yoda-no.gif

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
More whining from the soft generation.

There are startlingly few things in life that are guaranteed. The usual things come to mind like death, taxes, and probabilities being misunderstood. But mostly what I think of is how ego and nostalgia erode your senses as you age. My generation is in a weird spot where in many ways we had it better than the current generation. But those things are mostly limited to the financial and housing situations of one country. The world as a whole only gets safer.

Basically what I’m saying is thank you for existing. These are the reminders that will always keep me in check. The last thing I want to be is miserable by design.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
There are startlingly few things in life that are guaranteed. The usual things come to mind like death, taxes, and probabilities being misunderstood. But mostly what I think of is how ego and nostalgia erode your senses as you age. My generation is in a weird spot where in many ways we had it better than the current generation. But those things are mostly limited to the financial and housing situations of one country. The world as a whole only gets safer.

Basically what I’m saying is thank you for existing. These are the reminders that will always keep me in check. The last thing I want to be is miserable by design.
It’s like the people that complain about millenials/etc for receiving participation trophies while at the same time it’s the generation that is doing the complaining that is responsible for giving them out.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg

I'd erase cell phones so quickly it would make your head spin.

Ironic, as posting on a message board, but I'd love to see a world with less tech. I fondly remember the days where it wasn't as much of a thing. I'm very pleased, being able to "escape" within an hour drive - and couldn't imagine a big city lifestyle.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Actually, one of the myths out there is how "easy" the boomers had it.
If you were born in 1955-1960 or so, it actually sucked for the most part.
You hit the job market with the recessions of 1974, 1980 and 1982.
Women entering the work force drove down wages for decades by inflating the labor supply.
If you were middle management, computers decimated your ranks, and millions were laid off in the 1980s and 1990s, and the trend continued into the next millennium.

The golden generation was the one born from 1960 to 1975 or so, when they came of age, the economy boomed for two decades, providing opportunities for advancement. They were more computer literate, so they could leapfrog their elders.

The recession of 2008 was the first "traumatic" event since 1982.
The COVID recession was relatively mild due to government policies to avoid a deep trough.
And the current labor shortage means you might have a temporary decline in income due to inflation, but that's far less painful than a year of unemployment (and the permanent hit to income).

A note on housing costs - I just saw an interesting factoid that when you adjust for square footage, housing costs haven't really risen over the last four decades - but the size of the standard house has more than doubled. What's inflated are expectations of what is "normal."

Expectations have as much to do with (un)happiness as your actual situation, if you expect that you'll be upper middle class with ever increasing income, and end up in the middle, even if overall you're far richer than most Americans 30 years ago, you'll feel dissatisfied with how your life turned out. Because we tend to measure ourselves relative to our peers - instead of focusing on what we really want in life, we yearn for what they have.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
It’s like the people that complain about millenials/etc for receiving participation trophies while at the same time it’s the generation that is doing the complaining that is responsible for giving them out.
The are not responsible for giving them out. Physically yes.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Actually, one of the myths out there is how "easy" the boomers had it.
If you were born in 1955-1960 or so, it actually sucked for the most part.
You hit the job market with the recessions of 1974, 1980 and 1982.
Women entering the work force drove down wages for decades by inflating the labor supply.
If you were middle management, computers decimated your ranks, and millions were laid off in the 1980s and 1990s, and the trend continued into the next millennium.

The golden generation was the one born from 1960 to 1975 or so, when they came of age, the economy boomed for two decades, providing opportunities for advancement. They were more computer literate, so they could leapfrog their elders.

The recession of 2008 was the first "traumatic" event since 1982.
The COVID recession was relatively mild due to government policies to avoid a deep trough.
And the current labor shortage means you might have a temporary decline in income due to inflation, but that's far less painful than a year of unemployment (and the permanent hit to income).

A note on housing costs - I just saw an interesting factoid that when you adjust for square footage, housing costs haven't really risen over the last four decades - but the size of the standard house has more than doubled. What's inflated are expectations of what is "normal."

Expectations have as much to do with (un)happiness as your actual situation, if you expect that you'll be upper middle class with ever increasing income, and end up in the middle, even if overall you're far richer than most Americans 30 years ago, you'll feel dissatisfied with how your life turned out. Because we tend to measure ourselves relative to our peers - instead of focusing on what we really want in life, we yearn for what they have.

Trust me, this is BS when factoring in current wages/cost of living.

As we are currently looking to buy. It's ironic that somehow the mega rich that continue to harvest more of the world's wealth are somehow either ignored, or looked up to. A guillotine was appropriate once upon a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad