Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LXXXVI: 86 Proof

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
U4bzDrN.gif

well f***

• Haha
Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Flyerfan18

Dec 2, 2017
Essentially lol…I’d rather be a bad team WITH cap space then without it.

At least they are at that point sooner than we are. We have to start selling our contracts, find a zegras/drysdale, get a ton of draft picks, get a respectable prospect pool all over again, and get cap space. Ducks are years ahead of us in this regard. All we are doing is preventing the inevitable. Kings did it right, now the ducks are. Getting to the cap floor is easy….just look at what fletcher hands out lol
Ducks are years ahead of nobody right now. They are bottom feeders. Like I said it’s way too early to tell what they have. What they have now is hype. Nothing more.

You do realize only forever loser teams like Arizona, Chicago and Buffalo believe in the scorched earth approach So far they have diddly squat to show for it. Some teams have dropped down for a year or two and successfully rebuild. Which ones are the Ducks? Time will tell

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
So why go to philly to raise your value and play for a defense first coach? Where does he have a better chance to raise that value, Ducks or FLyers?

Many things to rip on the GM for, this isnt one of them.
Where does this "Torts is a defense first HC" come from?

If you actually look at his teams, the only defensively oriented team was in CBJ after he lost Panarin, Duchene and Bob. Basically circled the wagons and got them back to the playoffs before the wheels fell off.

Other than that, Torts' teams play a very aggressively style of hockey.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Where does this "Torts is a defense first HC" come from?

If you actually look at his teams, the only defensively oriented team was in CBJ after he lost Panarin, Duchene and Bob. Basically circled the wagons and got them back to the playoffs before the wheels fell off.

Other than that, Torts' teams play a very aggressively style of hockey.
Does he stress more D or O?

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
TDA came in 12th in the Norris voting in 2019-20. Provorov was 17th that year.
Sanheim has never received a Norris vote.

It's a shame with his one 4th and two 5th place votes that he was edged out for 11th by Esa Lindell.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Ducks are years ahead of nobody right now. They are bottom feeders. Like I said it’s way too early to tell what they have. What they have now is hype. Nothing more.

You do realize only forever loser teams like Arizona, Chicago and Buffalo believe in the scorched earth approach So far they have diddly squat to show for it. Some teams have dropped down for a year or two and successfully rebuild. Which ones are the Ducks? Time will tell
Did you just start watching hockey the year you started an account on here?

They have won the most Stanley Cups ìn the last 13 years.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Did you just start watching hockey the year you started an account on here?

They have won the most Stanley Cups ìn the last 13 years.
Lol two of the teams that supposedly have done "diddly squat" have actually won a cup in ducks/hawks

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
So why go to philly to raise your value and play for a defense first coach? Where does he have a better chance to raise that value, Ducks or FLyers?

my point was more about being patient instead of throwing assets away for mid players. There are so many opportunities available but our gm doesn't even consider 1 of them. He just blindly goes into things if players are somewhat available.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017

ARE WE NOT BOTTOM FEEDERS LMAO. At least the ducks have hype. We have nothing. no zegras, no drysdale, no mctavish, no zelleweger, no pastujov, no pearreault, nothing. But hey we have hayes, risto, tda

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly

It's not about any one particular move. It's about their entire approach and their guiding philosophy. They don't let opportunities come to them. They rush to fill holes and force square pegs into them, committing far too much in assets, cap space, and term in exchange. They simply value the wrong things.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Does he stress more D or O?
I think he stresses fundamentals, because the more disciplined his team becomes, the more risks he can allow them to take. So it's not about playing conservatively, but playing the "right way."

For example, he likes an aggressive forecheck, but that means players have to skate hard to get back when they don't come up with the puck, he likes to give his D-men the green light to attack in the O-zone, but that requires forwards to be aware and cycle back to cover for their defensemen. And so on.

I think people get confused b/c he's hard on players who don't play right, don't back check consistently and you'll be benched b/c back checking is one of the elements that allows his forwards to play aggressively, half ass skating back and you give up too many odd man rushes. So his focus seems to be on doing the little things that allows his teams to be aggressive without getting burned on defense.

Flyerfan18

Dec 2, 2017
ARE WE NOT BOTTOM FEEDERS LMAO. At least the ducks have hype. We have nothing. no zegras, no drysdale, no mctavish, no zelleweger, no pastujov, no pearreault, nothing. But hey we have hayes, risto, tda
You realize most of the forwards you listed have a ceiling of value about Hayes. Take Zegras out I hate the punk but his ceiling is higher.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
You do realize only forever loser teams like Arizona, Chicago and Buffalo believe in the scorched earth approach So far they have diddly squat to show for it.

What’s that got to do with the current topic? Nothing
You said Chicago has won diddly squat....ignoring their 3 Cup wins the last 13 years. I was simply asking if you were unaware or ignorant of this info as a new watcher. Or did you know and just choose to lie?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Nah, you can go without those players as long as your team is still overall really good. You do not need those highly specific roles.

Now, very generalized roles are quite important. Like having a 1C and 1D.
The post doesn't say you need these guys, I'm saying you look at what you have and more often than not these holes reveal themselves. It may be you need a net-front presence. In search of that guy you want a guy that can do it all. If that fails you want a guy that does that better than anyone else even if the rest of his game isn't there. If that fails you get a guy that does it well. You get the picture.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The post doesn't say you need these guys, I'm saying you look at what you have and more often than not these holes reveal themselves. It may be you need a net-front presence. In search of that guy you want a guy that can do it all. If that fails you want a guy that does that better than anyone else even if the rest of his game isn't there. If that fails you get a guy that does it well. You get the picture.
It depends on what other players can do.

If you have multiple lines of great puck movers and elite snipers, you probably don't need a net front presence.
Of course, there aren't too many teams with that combination of forwards on multiple lines.

If you don't have elite snipers, it helps to have someone set screens in front of the net.
Because most goalies stop most shots that they can see.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Flyerfan18

Dec 2, 2017
You said Chicago has won diddly squat....ignoring their 3 Cup wins the last 13 years. I was simply asking if you were unaware or ignorant of this info as a new watcher. Or did you know and just choose to lie?
Nope. I said they won’t win again.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
If only Fletcher didn’t botch things and traded Risto. Could’ve made that Klingberg deal and had a low-risk high-leverage situation.
If they didn't re-sign Risto they would have used that money elsewhere. It still would not be available for KLingberg.

No GM anticipated him being available still on 7/29 willing to except a 1 year deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad