Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LXXXV: Halfway to Christmas

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

Lol keep him off the PP. Simple things that these coaches and GMs can’t figure out.

I miss having a GM who actually negotiated and made moves that weren't immediately known to be horrible.

We used to be the team that traded Rinaldo for a 3rd and the corpse of Timonen for two 2nds. Now we give up picks like they're worthless and collect some of the worst players in the league.
Not only can he not negotiate. You already know the players he wants to acquire and Draft. He has 0% leverage which contributes to his bleeding of value.

The delta from Feltcher to the next guy is going to make Briere look like a GM of the year candidate. Now THAT is a “good spot”.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
So Hextall essentially traded Milano and Matheson for Ty Smith and Petry?
Is that good?
Petry turns 35 in December, another contract that will help bury this team if age catches up to them.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Is that good?
Petry turns 35 in December, another contract that will help bury this team if age catches up to them.
The Penguins are starting to look like a club qualifying for a senior league. Petry, Crosby, Malkin, Carter, Letang. If they were in their late twenties, that would be a heck of a team, but they're not.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Is that good?

No it’s not good , Hexy is not good either.
Pens will be locked as a wanna be team for next 4 years.

He and Chuckles have made these two teams irrelevant for next 5 years but the Pens will be a playoff team.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don’t think Pittsburgh is some elite team but they’re probably in that next tier of teams. It’s easier to accept an all in approach when you have core as successful as Crosby, Malkin, & Letang have been. These guys are still pretty good players to boot even if they’re not as good as they used to be. They’re all still top line caliber players.

Like yeah it will run itself into the ground eventually but they’re going to end up with two decades of success which is pretty hard to do in the salary cap era. Look at the other dynasties in Chicago & LA. So it’s easier to sell the all in approach & when it does eventually run out of track & needs to be rebuilt no one’s going to complain or feel like time was wasted.

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia

Still odd to me that Jack Hughes is on the same contract (and even makes a bit less than Robert Thomas, who I think the world of.....but still).

Anyway, Norris' contract seems a bit riskier, since he's so dependent on his finishing, but if you're confident he's your contending top 6 center, best to bet long term. Price still is a bit of a shock. With the Sens adding so much talent, another argument is someone is getting squeezed out on the PP. I watched Norris on that mediocre NTDP team, and frankly, I thought he was just a 3C. Even after his rookie Michigan season. I definitely missed his scoring potential, but I think the Senators also did a terrific job with his development.

I could be misremembering, but didn't Ottawa just have back-and-forth with Tkachuk and it ended in a similar deal?

Do they see them as similar talents?

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
Is that good?
Hextall has no choice. Brian Burke has a bias for action. As we saw in Hextall's time with the Flyers, he prefers to build through the draft. These kind of moves have Burke's fingerprints all over them.

Hextall needs this GM job so what else can he do?

That's how this works, right?

Flyerfan18

Dec 2, 2017
Is that good?
Pittsburg might have one more year of playoffs before they fall off the edge of the cliff completely. They might not but it’s more a legacy thing and they will luck into a generational superstar at the draft for Crosby to pass the torch to on his last couple years. You just know it’s going to happen.

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I could be misremembering, but didn't Ottawa just have back-and-forth with Tkachuk and it ended in a similar deal?

Do they see them as similar talents?

Brady sat out camp this past year to get his 7 year deal. Brady was a 50 point player throughout his ELC, with noteworthy poor finishing ability. His analytical data was all over the place, good and bad. They definitely overpaid on potential (and I imagine optics played a small part in the Senators wanting to overpay to keep their core). It looks pretty good after year 1.

Norris is coming off a 43 goal/68 point pace. Timing is everything, right? We can talk about shooting %s, but I do wonder if Norris is just one of those mid-high teens guys -- he's sustained 17-20% for 3 pro years across levels. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not sure how much higher the production ceiling goes and his microstats don't necessarily portray him as a play-driver. It's possible any gains he makes as a 5v5 scorer (he's been good, not great), just get balanced out by regression elsewhere. I guess his contract basically implies they view him and Tkachuk similarly. They could be. I'm not totally sure what to expect from the Senators right now.

Now, their best play-driver (*whispers* player?) is probably Drake Batherson, and he's signed for 5 more years at $4.975 mil. So, I guess it balances. Which is funny because at the time of signing (last fall), his production in the NHL was exactly the same as Tkachuk, though Batherson is 1 year older. But he's a 4th rounder, not a 4th overall, and we know how that works.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
Is that good?
If Petry falls off after next year it doesnt really matter. They only have so much time left to win with Crosby and Malkin. Mortgaging a few future seasons for one last run at the cup is easily worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad