Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LXXXV: Halfway to Christmas

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Uhhhh. I guess they figured downgrading (my word) from Marino to Rutta addressed the defensive side for RHDs. And Petry upgrades the offense with the cap space? Matheson came off his best season ever, but I can't rightfully say trying to sell high isn't the right decision, with 4 years remaining on his contract. Is this selling high? Maybe? Petry has a higher ceiling and more consistency, but he's aging, so there's that risk. I guess Smith can slot in as a 3D/PP, so you're hoping he turns it around. I honestly can't tell you if Pittsburgh got better or worse with defense -- it really could go both ways. These are moves.

Poehling is such a Hextall type prospect/depth add though. I bet you anything he was high on their board in 2017. :laugh:

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Good movement by Hextall

Didn't like the Marino trade for Pitt, but love the Petry one. So it worked out.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Matheson had negative value when they tried to move him last year, largely because of the contract. At the time I argued he was being undervalued a bit, but assuming a light came on at 28 is probably not good process. This is one of those situations where opinions swing wildly to a needless degree. He was a solid player before last year. He’s probably still a solid player that happened to have a big year.

More to the point, Petry is a guy Chuck had an agreement for in trade. I’m 99% sure he was giving up significantly more than this if you don’t have Matheson as a solidly positive asset.

*Edit* Tenses are hard.

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I like that trade a lot for Jersey. Ty Smith's value is, uh, not at a high. I liked the prospect, but he had a brutal year, and frankly, the Devils are pretty loaded on offense from the backend long-term. It's still within the realm of possibility the Penguins get him back into form, and he could be a system fit. So, I'm not saying it's as crazy a bet as the graphs portray.

But besides Marino just being a more valuable player -- with 5 years term -- I think it's a good fit trade. I'm imagining Hughes-Marino in the future. I mean Marino isn't the second coming of Vlasic, like he showed in 19-20, but he's a capable top 4 defensive d. Wouldn't you know, good ones don't cost Ristolainen prices.

Yeah NJ was one of the better offensive teams in the league last year at 5v5. But defensively they could stand room for improvement even if the goaltending was horrid.

So I like this fit for the better now & later even if Smith can improve. Severson & Graves are pending UFA’s so with Hamilton, Marino, & Siegnthaler you have proven quality defensemen extended past this year. Then you have Hughes & Nemec likely coming in sooner than later. I’d imagine Hughes joins them late in the year once his college season is over. They signed Nemec so not sure if they’re bringing him over for the AHL or not but would probably make sense over the Slovak pro league.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Matheson had negative value when they tried to move him last year, largely because of the contract. At the time I argued he was being undervalued a bit, but assuming a light came on at 28 is probably not good process. This is one of those situations where opinions swing wildly to a needless degree. He was a solid player before last year. He’s probably still a solid player that happened to have a big year.

More to the point, Petry is a guy Chuck had an agreement for in trade. I’m 99% sure he was giving up significantly more than this if you don’t have Matheson as a solidly positive asset.

*Edit* Tenses are hard.

The most concrete thing I’ve seen was it was JvR & a pick or prospect for Petry. That’s been said from ASF & I believe a Montreal reporter said similar.

So given Fletcher’s track record it probably was a mid round pick or equivalent value prospect I would guess. I think for a rebuilding team like Montreal I rather have that with the expiring contract, JvR probably has value at the deadline to gain another similar asset too I would think.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
PIT paid a cheaper price for Petry than we did for Risto. and Petry is 10x better than Risto.

why is it that other teams frequently pay reasonable/cheap prices for decent/good players, but the Flyers continuously overpay for complete slop?
Apples and oranges.

A better comparison was what we paid for Ellis, with the expectation he'd be a 70 game a year veteran on a six year deal, not a LTIR candidate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad