RD Carter Yakemchuk - Calgary Hitmen, WHL (2024, 7th, OTT)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Big fast and highly skilled d-man that has a nasty snarled edge to his game with a great shot. His knocks were iq and skating. He has solid enough iq, got questioned due to him basically abusing his skillset at the junior level essentially and his skating could be cleaned up with through training and heavy focus on edges and off ice training. He is a very unique prospect, unicorn defenseman with a very high ceiling but a lower floor. Burns is my high end comp and risto the low end comp however he put to rest my concerns with his iq and will at least be a positive impact physical bottom pairing d-man that could qb a pp. I could also seee him ending up a 20-30 goal d-man who loves to hit like a truck and can man/drive a breakout.
HIs hockey IQ might be his biggest strength, he reads the play incredibly well and the puck follows him around the ice. I watched him a bunch never understood how it was a negative, thats why he gets away with his skating because he is always around it. Defensively and his skating need work but for a raw big teenager those are both coachable. His skating will naturally get better as he gets stronger and matures. The sky is the limit with this player, RHD to boot.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Big fast and highly skilled d-man that has a nasty snarled edge to his game with a great shot. His knocks were iq and skating. He has solid enough iq, got questioned due to him basically abusing his skillset at the junior level essentially and his skating could be cleaned up with through training and heavy focus on edges and off ice training. He is a very unique prospect, unicorn defenseman with a very high ceiling but a lower floor. Burns is my high end comp and risto the low end comp however he put to rest my concerns with his iq and will at least be a positive impact physical bottom pairing d-man that could qb a pp. I could also seee him ending up a 20-30 goal d-man who loves to hit like a truck and can man/drive a breakout.

His floor is above Risto. The passing, the vision, it's all high whereas Risto was low.

Reactions: Faceboner

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
HIs hockey IQ might be his biggest strength, he reads the play incredibly well and the puck follows him around the ice. I watched him a bunch never understood how it was a negative, thats why he gets away with his skating because he is always around it. Defensively and his skating need work but for a raw big teenager those are both coachable. His skating will naturally get better as he gets stronger and matures. The sky is the limit with this player, RHD to boot.
Yep his iq was a knock only because he was a big physically imposing and skilled player it is high end as a prospect but don't know how high end it is at the NHL level well nobody does yet have to keep in mind the influx of other youth talent coming up along with the already great yet young crop of d-core. For instance I don't think his iq is as high as Buium or Dickinson but better than parekh or lev

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Yep his iq was a knock only because he was a big physically imposing and skilled player it is high end as a prospect but don't know how high end it is at the NHL level well nobody does yet have to keep in mind the influx of other youth talent coming up along with the already great yet young crop of d-core. For instance I don't think his iq is as high as Buium or Dickinson but better than parekh or lev
I've been watching this game for many years now and I've seen a lot of great players come through. I watched Karlsson's development from a rookie to star to world-class player and I can tell you Yakemchuk has elite hockey sense.

Where he obviously needs work is his edges/turns and improving foot speed a little. That'll come with time.

I think he has earned his 9 games unless his play really falls off a cliff.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
I've been watching this game for many years now and I've seen a lot of great players come through. I watched Karlsson's development from a rookie to star to world-class player and I can tell you Yakemchuk has elite hockey sense.

Where he obviously needs work is his edges/turns and improving foot speed a little. That'll come with time.

I think he has earned his 9 games unless his play really falls off a cliff.
If he shows well enough you think he gets more than 9 games?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If he shows well enough you think he gets more than 9 games?
His offensive IQ is certainly higher than Dickinsons to answer your last post but probably not defensively.

This is a good question, I keep saying they have to send him back but literally he just keeps getting better. Or at the bare minimum stays the same, however he hasnt played a real NHL game yet so its hard to say. He creates alot of offense though, his puck poise and ability to get into dangerous offensive situations is just simply an un teachable skill. He also seems to be able to bounce back, he had a turnover for a goal against Montreal that likely would have folded most rookies (all 3 forwards blew the zone and his clear hit the ref, unbelievable 3 nhl forwards are outside the blue line when the puck is on the goal line at 5 on 5). But anyways he just brushed it off and made plays after that happened. Takes a special type of confidence to do that.

His skating needs work though, I think defensively it will catch up to him so I think he probably goes back but id be shocked if he doesnt get a few games before it happens.

Reactions: Faceboner

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
His offensive IQ is certainly higher than Dickinsons to answer your last post but probably not defensively.

This is a good question, I keep saying they have to send him back but literally he just keeps getting better. Or at the bare minimum stays the same, however he hasnt played a real NHL game yet so its hard to say. He creates alot of offense though, his puck poise and ability to get into dangerous offensive situations is just simply an un teachable skill. He also seems to be able to bounce back, he had a turnover for a goal against Montreal that likely would have folded most rookies (all 3 forwards blew the zone and his clear hit the ref, unbelievable 3 nhl forwards are outside the blue line when the puck is on the goal line at 5 on 5). But anyways he just brushed it off and made plays after that happened. Takes a special type of confidence to do that.

His skating needs work though, I think defensively it will catch up to him so I think he probably goes back but id be shocked if he doesnt get a few games before it happens.
That's the other thing I think his defense only really improves in the NHL he was to offensively dominant in juniors to really scope out his defense. I'm sure like you said, the off puck play will improve

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I'm a big fan of his game — just a joy to watch. Big, lanky, can scoot, shoot, and make plays. The Sens sure have a good one here. Reminds me of a mix between a young Rob Blake and Dougie Hamilton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad