Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LXXXV: Halfway to Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
I get the injury history and all that, but trying to trade 1 x $7 of Pacioretty for 5 x $5 of Reilly Smith is a bit of a choice

Reactions: Magua

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Didn't realize MaxPac was PPG the past two seasons.

88P in 87 GP

Not as durable as our lovable lug JVR, though

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
So much for Giroux wanting to pursue a cup and all the talk he wants to be in Florida.
Florida can't fit him under the cap. If they could, he'd probably have been happy to stay there. His decision-making has been and is being driven as much by family concerns as by anything else (i.e. money, cup). His wife and two young kids got a nice stay in Florida, and now they're going back home to Ottawa. He gets to be near his family and friends on a young team trending upwards with some dynamic talent, one that could well make some noise in the next few years.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Florida can't fit him under the cap. If they could, he'd probably have been happy to stay there. His decision-making has been and is being driven as much by family concerns as by anything else (i.e. money, cup). His wife and two young kids got a nice stay in Florida, and now they're going back home to Ottawa. He gets to be near his family and friends on a young team trending upwards with some dynamic talent, one that could well make some noise in the next few years.

That guy is still angry that he asked "Who ever said Giroux was chasing a Cup?" and got a post-trade interview quoting Giroux "I am chasing the Cup, thats why I am here" in response.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
If he wanted to make it work he would. I agree winning doesn't mean as much to him.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
If he wanted to make it work he would. I agree winning doesn't mean as much to him.
Huh?

He's not taking 1 mill a year on a 1 year deal to make it work. That would be completely asinine, much like your take. I mean, how dare he consider the impact to his family's day-to-day and their longterm finances over slightly improving his chances to win a trophy?

Ottawa is a good balance, quite frankly. They have the room to offer him a reasonable contract, he gets to go home with his young family, and he's on a young team set to be competitive in the near future. Win-win-win.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Huh?

He's not taking 1 mill a year on a 1 year deal to make it work. That would be completely asinine, much like your take. I mean, how dare he consider the impact to his family's day-to-day and their longterm finances over slightly improving his chances to win a trophy?

Ottawa is a good balance, quite frankly. They have the room to offer him a reasonable contract, he gets to go home with his young family, and he's on a young team set to be competitive in the near future. Win-win-win.
who said anything about 1 year 1 million? Thought he said Philly was home? He has his whole life in front of him. Why is it so hard to belive he could careless about winning a cup?

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City

That's the most fun outcome. The Sens will be an enjoyable watch. I hope Melnyk's exit was all they needed.

The Sens have been fun for a couple of years now (I only started really paying attention when the Canadian Division was a thing and they were on cable TV in Canada on the regular).

They now have a pretty damn good top 6. Might only be a piece or two from being truly competitive, but unfortunately stuck in a division with 4 top quality opponents.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Giroux went home. He’s got a young family. Respect and understand that. He got paid top dollar at his age to do it as well.
Don't care. He is comfortable in a non winning environment.

Love the young family argument. Even a better reason to go to a contender, while they are young.

Flyerfan18

Dec 2, 2017
Don't care. He is comfortable in a non winning environment.

Love the young family argument. Even a better reason to go to a contender, while they are young.
Well my best guess is 80 per cent of the players are comfortable in a non winning environment. They all want to win it all but when the 7th defensemen and extra forward pulls in 750k to over a million per year life is pretty comfortable in general.

The game has changed. It’s not a game anymore it’s a business for the players.

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
Well my best guess is 80 per cent of the players are comfortable in a non winning environment. They all want to win it all but when the 7th defensemen and extra forward pulls in 750k to over a million per year life is pretty comfortable in general.

The game has changed. It’s not a game anymore it’s a business for the players.

Funny you mention this right now when we have some Latvian players signing for KHL teams and essentially being classified as traitors.

Flyerfan18

Dec 2, 2017
My bad, not much.
Didn’t notice your location at first. It’s got to be a little different living so close to conflict. But I get what you were saying now about the Latvian players. They are trying to make a living but have to weigh that with where they are going

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad