Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LXXXV: Halfway to Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
It’s just not even close how much better of a GM Hextall is than Fletcher.

My God. He got Letang and Malkin for 12.2 AAV

That’s nuts, even if they’re old. This is their last shot at a Cup and they know it. They’re going for it.

Just be ready for Hextall to add Lindblom tomorrow.
I thought for sure if Malkin walked, they would have signed Giroux

• Haha
Reactions: Curufinwe

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
I don't really understand the complaining about Pittsburgh's contracts. They won their 3 Cups with this crew; they're still good enough to win a round or two, unlike Chicago's old core in recent years. Unless you go full tear down (which they won't with Crosby signed for 3 years), ride off into the sunset with still decent hockey. The Penguins on the 16th hole of their current era are still better than anything the Flyers have done since 2010. It's just legacy building at this point, so it's okay to approach it with that perspective -- the 35+ stuff just seems manageable at worst.

Rakell’s the shit one and weirdly it’s getting the least flack in some circles. I’m glad he’s 29. It would help more if he was particularly good.

Not to mention that keeping Letang makes you happier to pay Malkin and vice versa. Whether it ends up working or not, they picked a lane and tried to maximize it.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

That’s nuts, even if they’re old. This is their last shot at a Cup and they know it. They’re going for it.

I mean you could argue it shouldn't have come down to the 11th hour for a top 3-4 player in franchise history. Also, he inked that Rakell stinker yesterday. Signing Malkin is frankly color-by-numbers shit. I still think Hextall is not a good pro level GM, with a general fetish for blandness, but you'll never accuse him of not having a plan or flying by the seat of his pants like Mr. Angel Dust over here, I guess.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Might not be able to afford him if they re-sign Kapanen. Can see a few smart teams bidding for him.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Rakell’s the shit one and weirdly it’s getting the least flack in some circles. I’m glad he’s 29. It would help more if he was particularly good.

Not to mention that keeping Letang makes you happier to pay Malkin and vice versa. Whether it ends up working or not, they picked a lane and tried to maximize it.

That’s really the crux of it.

Everyone knows these contracts will be longer than the players will be performing - but they’re maximizing the low AAV to win a Cup on the last run with these two generational talents in Sid/Malkin.

Hextall is doing what people wanted him to do here essentially by totally going for it when he could just pinch pennies and let these guys walk to be medioc

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Whichever smart team buys low on Lindblom will also get another RFA season to either sign him or flip him. There's just absolutely no downside to signing him. No team is probably good enough to not need him as a 4th liner, at worst. But you have to imagine he wants to go to a team with a usage path. I wonder if he and BFF Hagg loosely discuss going to the same team......

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I mean you could argue it shouldn't have come down to the 11th hour for a top 3-4 player in franchise history. Also, he inked that Rakell stinker yesterday. Signing Malkin is frankly color-by-numbers shit. I still think Hextall is not a good pro level GM, with a general fetish for blandness, but you'll never accuse him of not having a plan or flying by the seat of his pants like Mr. Angel Dust over here, I guess.
I wouldn’t. Timing is important in negotiations I think and deadlines can be used to your advantage (or disadvantage).

I think the Rakell deal wasn’t a good one - we’re def on the same page there. However, I think that was a bad deal because of the term, similar to Letang and Malkin’s, but Hextall’s strategy is clear as day: they’re taking a last shot at the Cup with this core. After year 3, it probably won’t really matter. It’s all about the now - and all of the AAVs are pretty decent to good.

So basically yeah, he clearly has a plan and is executing. It really has to be any logical GMs plan in Pitt when you have Malkin and Sid I think. They’re setup to compete still, so compete 😎

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Lindblom would be the perfect guy to go to Chicago for like $2m, become Brandon Hagel Part 2 and flip him to a contender for a premium

Reactions: Rebels57

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Lindblom would be the perfect guy to go to Chicago for like $2m, become Brandon Hagel Part 2 and flip him to a contender for a premium
I’d be surprised if there’s little interest from much more competitive teams.

Flyerfan18

Dec 2, 2017
So Evander Kane is returning to Edmonton in a four year deal worth $20.5M ($5.125 AAV)
Now he has some security again I give Kane until Christmas until the rumblings begin in Edmonton about him disrupting things. Edmontons window to win just closed

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Wisdom teeth?
Nah, but a couple of extractions in an area that they recommended I get put to sleep for due to 1) me being a p***y and 2) he said he’d recommend me to an oral surgeon anyway for them because of where the teeth are and they’re just going to put me to sleep anyway.

I have dental anxiety and wife convinced me to try this new dentist where he can put you to sleep if needed. First round went pretty well.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Giroux gonna go from Comcast as owners to 2 queen bosses, I’m here for it, go sens

• Haha
Reactions: Rebels57

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Nah, but a couple of extractions in an area that they recommended I get put to sleep for due to 1) me being a p***y and 2) he said he’d recommend me to an oral surgeon anyway for them because of where the teeth are and they’re just going to put me to sleep anyway.

I have dental anxiety and wife convinced me to try this new dentist where he can put you to sleep if needed. First round went pretty well.
I’ve had 2 teeth pulled that was not my wisdom teeth surgery (or which 7 total were pulled and was asleep), and I’m pretty sure next time I need to extractions that I will suck up the cost and be put to sleep

flyers0909

Nothing Matters
Jul 10, 2007

Same here with the anxiety. Had terrible experiences growing up and completely put off going to the dentist when I moved to Philly bc of it. Finally found a place in center city that is for babies like myself. Had a shit ton of work done the first time I went in and haven't had anything since. It's a huge relief finding a place that isn't trying to do unnecessary work and actually cares about your experience.

Reactions: Hollywood Cannon

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The Kane deal makes the Rakell contract look even worse.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad