Minnesota Wild General Discussion - 2022-23

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Yes , and he will
Only way i can see that happening is if Gus starts the last game of the season and Dean sticks to the every other game for the goalies and gives Flower game 1. If he does thats a mistake because Gus has earned game 1.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
i was impressed at the deadline and im even more impressed after kaprizov was out. saving the top picks instead of trading them to "save his job" is a wise thing for our future. not that his job is currently on the line.
Has also been a ton of fun to watch the younger players start to really manifest their skills to where many of us fans were always hoping they would be, but were cynical it would happen based on past experiences with alleged "top talent."

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
So exactly like last year when Talbot had wildly outplayed Fluery and we still got Fluery.
I recall that Talbot was pretty shaky towards the end of the season. And MAF was brought in specifically for the playoffs. Didn't turn out great in the end, but I get the thinking.

This season, it's been pretty clear that Gus is the guy and should get the game 1 start. I'd be pretty shocked if he didn't.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
I recall that Talbot was pretty shaky towards the end of the season. And MAF was brought in specifically for the playoffs. Didn't turn out great in the end, but I get the thinking.

Talbot was better overall late in the season, but did poorly in his final two matches against Blues.

I think starting MAF was a very defensible decision last year. Sticking with him for 5 games and only giving Talbot a shot in the elimination game was the weird part.

Bdub

Mar 27, 2021
I dont want to see Crappie flopper in nets at all he isnst close to what he used to be. Rack up the losses with Crappie man in nets.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Gus is closer to 1st place than 3rd place in both GAA and Save %. Fleury is 20th in both.

Even if you want to look at "down the stretch", let's say the last 10 games each, Gus is at .938 and Fleury is at .922 which makes one elite and one respectable.

Gus has a .937 on the road (where we are likely to start the playoffs) vs. Fleury's .915

Gus has a .939 against Dallas vs. Fleury's .896

There just isn't any justification for it being Fleury over Gus, especially since you can point to last season and say that Fleury's playoff "experience" wasn't any sort of difference.

Last edited:

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
I
Gus is closer to 1st place than 3rd place in both GAA and Save %. Fleury is 20th in both.

Even if you want to look at "down the stretch", let's say the last 10 games each, Gus is at .938 and Fleury is at .922 which makes one elite and one respectable.

Gus has a .937 on the road (where we are likely to start the playoffs) vs. Fleury's .915

Gus has a .939 against Dallas vs. Fleury's .896

There just isn't any justification for it being Fleury over Gus, especially since you can point last season and say that Fleury's playoff "experience" wasn't any sort of difference.
There is zero justification for any sort of goalie rotation. Gus is the clear starter and anything to the contrary is favoritism , cronyism and deference to vets regardless of performance. The end

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I
There is zero justification for any sort of goalie rotation. Gus is the clear starter and anything to the contrary is favoritism , cronyism and deference to vets regardless of performance. The end
The only justification is if Gus shits the bed in Game 1.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
The only justification is if Gus shits the bed in Game 1.

I think he should get the first 3-4 games regardless of his performance. He’s had the best stretch of goaltending this franchise has ever seen and he deserves to put this team on his back. Fluery has done nothing to warrant anything here in Mn

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I think he should get the first 3-4 games regardless of his performance. He’s had the best stretch of goaltending this franchise has ever seen and he deserves to put this team on his back. Fluery has done nothing to warrant anything here in Mn
Dubnyk's stretch when he first got here rivals it I think, though I think we were a better defensive team back then.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Dubnyk's stretch when he first got here rivals it I think, though I think we were a better defensive team back then.
Possibly ….I think Doobs was purely a product of the system and went on a heater for a bit like many goalies do. Gus looks like a legit 1A goalie. His rebound control is something awesome to watch after being subjected to the crappie for 2 years now.

Reactions: 63firebird

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Well Fleury got the first, what, 5 games last year? So you could argue Gus deserves at least the first 6, regardless of performance, right?

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Well Fleury got the first, what, 5 games last year? So you could argue Gus deserves at least the first 6, regardless of performance, right?
Both goalies have been fine against Dallas, and both goalies have also been directly responsible for losses to Colorado this season, so we don’t have a situation like last year where Talbot was distinctly awful specifically against our opponent. If we had played any other team last season, I think it would have been much more of a hot hand situation, but Talbot was trash against the Blues for two straight seasons, and the playoff game he did play, he was also terrible. Not sure why that decision gets second guessed so much, it was obvious the Blues cross ice plays were not something Talbot was capable of stopping, at least with Fleury you had a goalie potentially capable of stealing a game here and there even with the blowups. It didn’t happen but it was still a better chance than relying on Talbot and his multiple sub .800 performances.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Both goalies have been fine against Dallas,

Fleury has allowed 8 goals for a .896 sv% in two games, Gus has allowed 4 goals for a .939 sv% in two games

and both goalies have also been directly responsible for losses to Colorado this season

Gus' bad game against Colorado came in that first week of the season where the team was complete garbage and getting shelled by everyone, before he settled in. His next start at Colorado was a 2 GA, .955 sv% performance. Fleury's one game against them was a 3 GA, .842 sv% performance.

So we do have a situation where one goalie is distinctly awful and one isn't. The one that's awful is Fleury.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Looking at each goalies games against playoff teams this year (including all three of Pittsburgh, NY Islanders and FLorida Panthers since that's not settled yet):

Fleury has a save % above .900 against Boston, Tampa Bay, Seattle and Winnipeg.
He's below .900 against Edmonton, Dallas, Los Angeles, Vegas, NY Rangers, Pittsburgh, Toronto, Colorado and Carolina.

Gustavsson has a save % above .900 against Tampa Bay, NY Islanders, Winnipeg, New Jersey, Carolina, Dallas, Los Angeles, Florida, Toronto, Colorado and Vegas.
He's below .900 against Boston and Pittsburgh.

So team by team breakdown of the teams both have faced this year:
Boston: Fleury
Carolina: Gus
Colorado: Gus
Dallas: Gus
Los Angeles: Gus
Pittsburgh: Fleury
Tampa: Gus
Toronto: Gus
Vegas: Gus
Winnipeg: Gus

Then you add in the teams that Gus hasn't played against, but Fleury wasn't good against:
Edmonton
NY Rangers

Which means the only teams Fleury should get consideration against, based on the model of how the player previously did against them:
Boston (both allowed 4 goals in one game, Fleury faced 6 more shots)
Pittsburgh (both were bad, Fleury was a bit less bad)
Seattle

Wild11MN

First round losers
Sponsor
May 28, 2013
MN
They should play Faber over Klingberg in the playoffs. Both Klingberg and Addison are not good enough in the d zone to warrant being played.
I didn't see enough of Faber last game, but if this is actually an option, it's odd they wouldn't play him tonight to get him as many reps as possible in the regular season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad