Proposal: Minnesota - Ottawa Blockbuster

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
man I'd love Boldy on the Habs but this is far from getting it done.
Price for Boldy would be more than what would make sense in the end.
well
#5 + Barron = Boldy (all depend on who's there at #5 i guess)
#26 + CGY first (a chance of a mid pick 11-16) + Armia = #13

People say that Barron as no value i don't think so big body, offensive upside, RHD, 22 year old.
Also Armia ad a great season last year especially towards the end, serviceable 3rd liner not worth much but not a cap dumb.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Despite all the people arguing that Tkachuk takes himself off the ice with fighting majors, he still averaged his highest TOI of any season so he was actually on the ice more this year than any other of his previous seasons....

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
I speciifcally said 1-2 years younger in the OP... so in no way did I imply that Tkachuk is near 30 years old.

I also said that Tkachuk is better in the OP, but Boldy's contract being a lower AAV and longer bridges the gap in value. But if you want to go down the rabbit hole, Boldy had a better point per game this year than Tkachuk. Tkachuk had more goals. Boldy more assists. Tkachuk significantly more penalty minutes due to his heavier playstyle. They are very comparable players IMO.
But not nearly enough for Ottawa to consider the trade

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
Interesting we are comparing boldy’s last season where he played more with kap to Brady who played with ?? Is stutzle even in the same tier as kap?
I don't even think he played half the season with Kaprisov.
When you say complete game, you mean like, hitting and fighting? I can't think of much else that Tkachuk has a sizeable gap in, if any gap. Goal scoring, maybe? Though the gap there isn't actually that big and if Boldy took as many shots as Tkachuk does, he'd outscore him. I think Boldy plays a more responsible game defensively, though I don't think the difference is huge. Definitely more disciplined though.

I understand there's an inflated premium placed upon physicality and I get why, but in terms of skill and talent, there's little difference here.
Yes I was thinking the physical side of the game. I don't know that I'd consider either great defensively.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Draws more penalties than any player in the league in last 5 years.
He draws more than he takes, so gives his team more PP opportunities.

I'm a little late here, but you know context is needed when most of the other names around him are the other Tkachuk, Marchand, Gudas, Wilson, Hartman and E. Kane, Heck, Pat Maroon even. Have you considered that their drawn penalties might be higher due to the proclivity of refs to call coincidental minors for after-the-whistle penalties?

I'm not saying they aren't good enough to also draw penalties through actual play, but it seems like there may be something more going on here when you consider McDavid and players near his skill level aren't even on the list, much less in the majority.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
The only relevant fact regarding unicorns is, they don't now, nor have they ever existed. It's a stupid analogy regardless of how common the use is. Use something rare, not something that's completely nonexistent. So, there is your education on them. Stop regurgitating hyperbolic nonsense. And Brady Tkachuk is nowhere near that rare. If he were as impressive as some guys here are trying to peddle him off as, he'd have willed Ottawa to the playoffs on his own by now.

Unicorn:
"something that is highly desirable but difficult to find or obtain.
"an album like this is something of a unicorn"
- Oxford

Just because you don't get it, doesn't mean no one else does. lol

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'm a little late here, but you know context is needed when most of the other names around him are the other Tkachuk, Marchand, Gudas, Wilson, Hartman and E. Kane, Heck, Pat Maroon even. Have you considered that their drawn penalties might be higher due to the proclivity of refs to call coincidental minors for after-the-whistle penalties?

I'm not saying they aren't good enough to also draw penalties through actual play, but it seems like there may be something more going on here when you consider McDavid and players near his skill level aren't even on the list, much less in the majority.

Funny enough, that table he linked actually shows penalties taken in the last 5 years.

Tkachuk still draws the most penalties, depending on what window you're looking at, but when you actually look at penalties drawn, not penalties taken, you do see names like McDavid, Stutzle, MacKinnon, Pettersson and Kaprizov mixed in.

Although what you say clearly has merit, because when you look at penalty differentials, guys like the 5 I mentioned have differentials of 50+ going back three seasons, whereas Brady's differential is +4. Marchand and Dubois, who actually do rank top 10 in penalties drawn the last three seasons, are sitting at differentials of +12 and +7, respectively.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Unicorn:
- Oxford

Unicorn:
"Something that is supposedly built for playoffs, but has yet to qualify for them".

• Haha
Reactions: MK9 and rynryn

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Funny enough, that table he linked actually shows penalties taken in the last 5 years.

Tkachuk still draws the most penalties, depending on what window you're looking at, but when you actually look at penalties drawn, not penalties taken, you do see names like McDavid, Stutzle, MacKinnon, Pettersson and Kaprizov mixed in.

Although what you say clearly has merit, because when you look at penalty differentials, guys like the 5 I mentioned have differentials of 50+ going back three seasons, whereas Brady's differential is +4. Marchand and Dubois, who actually do rank top 10 in penalties drawn the last three seasons, are sitting at differentials of +12 and +7, respectively.
:laugh: See now, this makes more sense. I couldn't help but feel something was off.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
Unicorn:
- Oxford

Just because it's in the dictionary, doesn't make it a real thing. Unicorns still do not and never will exist. That is a fact and the only thing that matters. Here, try this...go look up logic and rationale. Those would be a good thing for you to get a grasp on. Beyond that, you've brought too much derp here. Don't do that anymore. Do other stuff that isn't that.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Just because it's in the dictionary, doesn't make it a real thing. Unicorns still do not and never will exist. That is a fact and the only thing that matters. Here, try this...go look up logic and rationale. Those would be a good thing for you to get a grasp on. Beyond that, you've brought too much derp here. Don't do that anymore. Do other stuff that isn't that.

The only thing that matters, in a thread on a hockey forum about a player often regarded as a 'unicorn' (based on an actual dictionary defnition and common usage of the term) is that actual unicorns never existed... and you think I'm the one that needs to look up logic and rationale?
:popcorn:

wUjll9b.png

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
The only thing that matters, in a thread on a hockey forum about a player often regarded as a 'unicorn' (based on an actual dictionary defnition and common usage of the term) is that actual unicorns never existed... and you think I'm the one that needs to look up logic and rationale?
:popcorn:

wUjll9b.png
Pfft.gif

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
I think Minnesota needs to add a bit. I'd do something like Boldy + 2nd rd pick + Kumpulainen. Definitely wouldn't add a first.

Reactions: BlueOil

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
What exactly do you think Boldy is? He won’t fight but he’s the definition of a power forward and is also younger, on a better contract and better defensively.

The definition some people try to use for power forward is getting ridiculous.

Seems being 6’2 and protecting the puck with your body is enough for some now a days.

Boldy was credited with fewer hits than Marco Rossi last year, something like 9 times fewer than Brady. Boldy’s career total is less than half of what Brady got this season.

Heck Tim Stutzle had three times as many as Boldy this season.

Boldy is a good player, but he does not qualify as a power forward.

Last edited:

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Unicorn:
"Something that is supposedly built for playoffs, but has yet to qualify for them".
Unicorn: "City considers their team strong contenders for the cup year after year despite not being able to win any game 7's or make it past the 1st round.."

Sens9292

Oct 5, 2019
Unicorn:
As a Senators fan, I am excited for regular season success and 1st round disappointment yearly. How can one celebrate those moments?

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
As a Senators fan, I am excited for regular season success and 1st round disappointment yearly. How can one celebrate those moments?
soon you will get so familiar with this situation it'll be the only place you're comfortable. mediocrity is underrated

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
The definition some people try to use for power forward is getting ridiculous.

Seems being 6’2 and protecting the puck with your body is enough for some now a days.

Boldy was credited with fewer hits than Marco Rossi last year, something like 9 times fewer than Brady. Boldy’s career total is less than half of what Brady got this season.

Heck Tim Stutzle had three times as many as Boldy this season.

Boldy is a good player, but he does not qualify as a power forward.
Having a ton of hits doesn’t make you a power forward. Clutterbuck has been near the top of the league in hits for years and years and he is definitely not a power forward. Using your body to protect the puck and get it to the front of the net is exactly what power forwards do. It’s by far a better indicator than hit totals lmao

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
I think Minnesota needs to add a bit. I'd do something like Boldy + 2nd rd pick + Kumpulainen. Definitely wouldn't add a first.
minnesota would have to add

tkachuk has shown more at the nhl level already. boldy might be one of the better roster players they could receive if they move tkachuk, but i don't see how he's worth enough to swap 1-for-1. no slight to boldy either, fantastic player with room to grow, but on a better team, tkachuk's gonna shine even more.

Reactions: h2owned

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Having a ton of hits doesn’t make you a power forward. Clutterbuck has been near the top of the league in hits for years and years and he is definitely not a power forward. Using your body to protect the puck and get it to the front of the net is exactly what power forwards do. It’s by far a better indicator than hit totals lmao

Please quote me where I said hits are the only qualification for a power forward.

I’ll wait.

The point isn’t that hits make a power forward, obviously. I’d never qualify a guy like Clutterbuck as a power forward. But physical play, including fighting, are key to earning that label. Taking the puck to the net and protecting it with your body aren’t nearly enough. Otherwise guys like Bobby Ryan, Radek Bonk, or Alexei Yashin would be considered power forwards. They’re not.

Brady Tkachuk checks every power forward box.

Boldy does not. Do you disagree that Boldy is not a power forward?

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Please quote me where I said hits are the only qualification for a power forward.

I’ll wait.

The point isn’t that hits make a power forward, obviously. I’d never qualify a guy like Clutterbuck as a power forward. But physical play, including fighting, are key to earning that label. Taking the puck to the net and protecting it with your body aren’t nearly enough. Otherwise guys like Bobby Ryan, Radek Bonk, or Alexei Yashin would be considered power forwards. They’re not.

You described all the attributes that make a PF, but you missed goals as well.
Need all those.

Reactions: Bileur

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

I’ll wait.

Was Rick Nash a power forward?

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Was Rick Nash a power forward?

Good question. He’s a tough one cause from my recollection he’d turn it on some games and other games play much softer, inconsistent on that front. Quite a beast though when he was on.

That’s part of what makes Tkachuk special. He only has the one setting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad