Proposal: Minnesota - Ottawa Blockbuster

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
No #$@!ing way do I want Upchuck Jr. Not saying he isn't a good player.....I just don't like him.

We're not moving Boldy, Digitalbooya. It's time you start to like the player. ;)

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
That isn't true at all, there are guys in the WHC that are playing for NHL contracts and GM's keep a pulse and have representation there. It's not like the WJC where every scout is packed into the building but WHC allow players to play different roles and it can earn them a deal.

GM's keep a pulse. But guys like Matt Boldy scoring one more point than Brady Tkachuk has less than zero impact on their value when it comes to it. A good or bad showing for legit NHL top 6 players at the WHC means nothing for their value. A guy on the margins can definitely make a case for a one-year deal if they show out or last chance U could lose the attention of GMs.

But if you're a legit, near PPG player in the NHL, not one soul cares about how you played in an exhibition.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
I speciifcally said 1-2 years younger in the OP... so in no way did I imply that Tkachuk is near 30 years old.

I also said that Tkachuk is better in the OP, but Boldy's contract being a lower AAV and longer bridges the gap in value. But if you want to go down the rabbit hole, Boldy had a better point per game this year than Tkachuk. Tkachuk had more goals. Boldy more assists. Tkachuk significantly more penalty minutes due to his heavier playstyle. They are very comparable players IMO.
You seem to be glossing over some of Brady's best qualities. 6'4" 225lbs.

This year he was:

- 3rd overall in the league for Hits
- 4th overall in the league for fights
- 4th overall in the league for shots on goal
- a winger with 50+ FO%
- 37 goals, 37 assists

Tkachuk's has had 3 straight 30+ goal seasons, two seasons with 35+ goals, was over PPG last year with 83 points. Both he and Boldy have had 51 powerplay points the last 2 years combined.

I love Boldy as a player, one of my favorite young guns in the league but to say they are comparable players, not quite (or not yet anyways).

Brady is a unicorn in the league, Boldy is a scoring winger with good size/speed with a wicked shot.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis

This year he was:

- a winger with 50+ FO%
- 37 goals, 37 assists

Tkachuk's has had 3 straight 30+ goal seasons, two seasons with 35+ goals, was over PPG last year with 83 points. Both he and Boldy have had 51 powerplay points the last 2 years combined.

I love Boldy as a player, one of my favorite young guns in the league but to say they are comparable players, not quite (or not yet anyways).

Brady is a unicorn in the league, Boldy is a scoring winger with good size/speed with a wicked shot.
From an entertainment stand point, I get why Sens fans value this. But in the real world, not sure this translates to effectiveness as much as side show.

• Haha
Reactions: Golden_Jet

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis

This year he was:

- a winger with 50+ FO%
- 37 goals, 37 assists

I'm not sure how a capable scorer taking himself off the ice for 5 minutes more than all but 3 other people in the league helps win games, but ok

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
22 year old seasons:

Boldy 29+40=69 in 75
Tkachuk 30+37=67 in 79

Hopefully Boldy takes another step like Tkachuk did, but I'll keep the guy that's younger, cheaper and signed for longer. And I don't super value stars/skill players hitting and fighting.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
have to say i think there is and should be a premium on skill players with size and grit that are fiery emotional leaders on the ice. Boldy with Foligno's attitude would be more valuable than Boldy, for example. It's not a crazy viewpoint. as full of warts as Dumba and Reaves are Wild definitely missed that kind of personality. Judicious expression of the truculence is key for someone in a first line role of course.
Its worth a smaller add than a first round pick when players are stacked side by side however, and more time on contract for Boldy evens that out somewhat.
Not saying I'd do it from Sens POV but it's not a ludicrous proposal.

Reactions: KnuckChuckinTkachuk

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
From an entertainment stand point, I get why Sens fans value this. But in the real world, not sure this translates to effectiveness as much as side show.
Yeah you're right. Scoring goals, getting pucks to the net, hits/physicality and fighting aren't useful at all. Certainly not in the playoffs (eyeroll....)

I'm not sure how a capable scorer taking himself off the ice for 5 minutes more than all but 3 other people in the league helps win games, but ok
I mean if Brady was on the Wild and someone went after, oh I don't know Kaprizov in a cheap way, you wouldn't appreciate the captain sticking up for his guys, fighting and showing leadership? Alright you do you.

I do agree he needs to fight wayyy less and stay on the ice more but his willingness to battle, while being a good goal scorer/point producer is valuable.

Reactions: Bileur

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
Yeah you're right. Scoring goals, getting pucks to the net, hits/physicality and fighting aren't useful at all. Certainly not in the playoffs (eyeroll....)
You should roll your eyes less, cuts down on your ability to read. My post specifically highlighted hits and fights. Would rather my best player actually be on the ice. Scrubs fight and hit.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

This year he was:

- a winger with 50+ FO%
- 37 goals, 37 assists

Actually while Boldy is an inventive and good skater, he has average speed. He is not as physical of a player Tkachuk and never will be, but he has really filled out in the past couple of years, and has the extendo arm thing going on, making it hard to knock him off the puck. Tkachuk is, and has been, the better player, but i wouldn't bet against Boldy bettering Tkachuk's numbers going forward now that he is a regular on the #1 PP and 1st line with Kaprizov. Prior to about halfway through last season he was playing with players like Marcus Johansson, Hartman, and Gaudreau.

If i was the OTT GM I would tell Tkachuk to continue to play hard, but leave the fighting to others. Finding guys who can fight is easy, finding guys who can score 37 goals isn't. Sooner or later Tkachuk will break his hand on someone like Rempe's helmet if he keeps it up. Bad allocation of resources.

Reactions: Eegs

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis

I mean if Brady was on the Wild and someone went after, oh I don't know Kaprizov in a cheap way, you wouldn't appreciate the captain sticking up for his guys, fighting and showing leadership? Alright you do you.

I do agree he needs to fight wayyy less and stay on the ice more but his willingness to battle, while being a good goal scorer/point producer is valuable.
No! I don't want the captain sticking up for guys. Especially if he's in the top 6. Let the 3rd or 4th line guys settle scores. I know he's gonna get in a few but him being 4th in the league in fights is asinine

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
No #$@!ing way do I want Upchuck Jr. Not saying he isn't a good player.....I just don't like him.

We're not moving Boldy, Digitalbooya. It's time you start to like the player. ;)

Threads like this are basically Plyers A vs Players B type ones, the same about the thread Slav for Laf. It's obvious the teams are happy with their players and won't trade them, but it's boring so people start such trade topics...

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

algernon

Mar 19, 2006
Calgary
I doubt it. They were pretty close the last season, and Boldy scored one more point at WHC.

Anyway, Minnesota won't trade him for 19 months older winger, who isn't head and shoulder above Matt.
Do you have stats that Boldy is more valuable than Brady?

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
This is gonna blow your mind, but even if he didn't ever fight or take penalties, he still wouldn't play 60 mins a game. Being unavailable for 5 mins means he misses a shift that he immediately makes up for.

Brady needs to fight less for many reasons, and that's an issue for the GM to address, but painting it as a negative/neutral contribution is silly.
You should roll your eyes less, cuts down on your ability to read. My post specifically highlighted hits and fights. Would rather my best player actually be on the ice. Scrubs fight and hit.
Good news, he still finds a way to get 19 mins a night.

And lol specifically at "scrubs hit". I guess you are more of a "pre-season through January" fan.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
Fights aren't a valuable asset on a top 6 forwrd. They're just not. The agitation that he does to draw those fights is good and maybe you're taking a similarly talented guy off with you... but if you're one of my key offensive pieces... I don't want you settling scores unless the score is being settled by you putting the puck in the damn net.

Hits... absolutely. Stick up for your team with well-timed and clean hits. But honestly most of the "stick up for your teammates" shit that players do in the current era is dipshittery. Like Andreas Athanasiou when he was on the Wings going knee to knee on Alex Kerfoot because Anthony Mantha got taken down by Jake Muzzin's slewfoot. Or guys going mad scramble after a guy for a hard, but clean check.

This is gonna blow your mind, but even if he didn't ever fight or take penalties, he still wouldn't play 60 mins a game. Being unavailable for 5 mins means he misses a shift that he immediately makes up for.

Brady needs to fight less for many reasons, and that's an issue for the GM to address, but painting it as a negative/neutral contribution is silly.

It is a negative/neutral contribution. It's not a positive that Brady Tkachuk is throwing hands that much. Risk for injury is incredibly high, usually the other guy he's taking off the ice with him is far less skilled than he is, and just overall... no.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Draws more penalties than any player in the league in last 5 years.
He draws more than he takes, so gives his team more PP opportunities.

News flash: a fighting major is a wash. I'm not debating whether he draws penalties. But unless the person going to the box with him after a fight is better than him, it's a net negative for his team.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis

Good news, he still finds a way to get 19 mins a night.

And lol specifically at "scrubs hit". I guess you are more of a "pre-season through January" fan.
It's pretty plainly a negative contribution unless the person he's fighting with is a better player than he is.

You're being condescending but you're provably wrong. Why aren't the other big bodied players fighting all the time if it's such a positive? Why aren't Draisaitl, Rantanen, Ovi and Barkov fighting?

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
It is a negative/neutral contribution. It's not a positive that Brady Tkachuk is throwing hands that much. Risk for injury is incredibly high, usually the other guy he's taking off the ice with him is far less skilled than he is, and just overall... no.
Brady has missed 4 games over the last 5 seasons.

He plays 19+ mins a game.
It's pretty plainly a negative contribution unless the person he's fighting with is a better player than he is.

You're being condescending but you're provably wrong. Why aren't the other big bodied players fighting all the time if it's such a positive? Why aren't Draisaitl, Rantanen, Ovi and Barkov fighting?
Because they play a completely different game than Brady? Because Brady can hold his own against anyone in the league in a way that those guys haven't shown?

Brady would benefit from fighting less, he does it so often because our team is incredibly soft. The fact that he can do it the way that he can is a draw to every team in the league.

You act as though fighting serves no function, you also act as though missing a shift is some monumental loss. It isn't. If I'm provably wrong...... do it.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
News flash: a fighting major is a wash. I'm not debating whether he draws penalties. But unless the person going to the box with him after a fight is better than him, it's a net negative for his team.
If that makes you feel better, that’s fine. When Brady takes a run at Kaprisov, and no-one on the ice does anything . I’m sure you’d enjoy that, right. But you seem to enjoy soft hockey.

Anyways it’s a dumb thread, Brady isn’t going anywhere, and not for Boldy.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
If that makes you feel better, that’s fine. When Brady takes a run at Kaprisov, and no-one on the ice does anything . I’m sure you’d enjoy that, right. But you seem to enjoy soft hockey.

Anyways it’s a dumb thread, Brady isn’t going anywhere, and not for Boldy.
That’s what Foligno, Middleton and JEE are there for, I don’t think anyone calls the Wild soft. And for all that, Kap has still been on the receiving end of ludicrous injury attempts, players aren’t actually dissuaded from it no matter who is on the ice.

I agree it’s a dumb thread for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad