Proposal: Mcdavid to Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I agree.

I've seen suggestions that McDavid comes to Toronto as a free agent and then plays together with Matthews. Hey, I love that idea, but I don't know how it would possibly happen. Brendan Pridham would have to become a friggin' magician. I guess nothing is impossible, but I really don't see anything like that happening.
JT will be off the books and Marner will be resigned for cheaper and Auston should be resigned for a lil more

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
Who is the closest example we can use?

Don't think any teams will be able to add a 23 year old 100 point player like the Leafs can.

Huberdeau, Barkov, Knight and a 1st round pick is the only offer I think in the league that would be a 4 asset package that could get the oilers even thinkin about it. Maybe something out of Colorado.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Well, then you don’t get McDavid. Unless the Leafs want to take every trash contract the Oil have signed too
I agree with @Fogelhund who says that under no circumstances will the Leafs even be making an offer for McDavid.

There aren't really any realistic offers to be made across the NHL, because no one could afford to pay what Edmonton would need to get – unless McDavid forces a trade (and I don't see that happening either).

In any event, the Leafs won't be trading for McDavid, and they won't be taking Edmonton's shitty contracts.

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
You're not paying attention.

I'm not suggesting Matthews for McDavid straight up. I'm just saying that if McDavid goes to Toronto, then Matthews is going to Edmonton.

McDavid is the best player in the National Hockey League, and I can't think of any one player that Edmonton would accept on a one-for-one.

Off the top of my head, I really can't think of any package of players Edmonton would accept that would be remotely realistic for the other team – provided only that McDavid is not forcing the trade. For example, McKinnon and Makar; Hedman, Vasilevski and Point; or Fox, Shesterkin and Lafreniere might do the trick for Edmonton, but it's even more absurd to think that any of Colorado, Tampa or New York would even discuss those packages.

For that matter, I don't even think Matthews and Marner together would be enough from Toronto, and I can't possibly imagine the Leafs offering that or whatever it takes to land McDavid.

Unless McDavid forces one, he's too big a fish to trade. If the packages are enough to satisfy Edmonton, it can't possibly work for the other side.

Mind you, everything changes if McDavid should decide that he wants out.
It would take more than Matthews and Marner from Toronto to get McDavid?

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
Huberdeau, Barkov, Knight and a 1st round pick is the only offer I think in the league that would be a 4 asset package that could get the oilers even thinkin about it. Maybe something out of Colorado.
This package is worth way more than McDavid LOL

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I agree with @Fogelhund who says that under no circumstances will the Leafs even be making an offer for McDavid.

There aren't really any realistic offers to be made across the NHL, because no one could afford to pay what Edmonton would need to get – unless McDavid forces a trade (and I don't see that happening either).

In any event, the Leafs won't be trading for McDavid, and they won't be taking Edmonton's shitty contracts.
exactly, its ironic that the best player in the game is in a way worthless

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010

If the Panthers offer that, they would be the front runners for sure.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I like Edmonton as a place to visit, and they've had some great teams. That's up to you to deal with any insecurities you might have with the city.

None of us know what McDavid is thinking. Maybe he'd give multiple teams, maybe just one.

The scenario really depends on how many teams he'd be willing to go to.. and their likelihood of being able to complete a deal. Given this discussion has been about Toronto, Toronto doesn't require the leagues most marketable star, to sell seats, or merchandise. The point here is, McDavid is in the drivers seat. If he asks out, the return won't be what would be deserved in an open market. The fewer the number of teams he'll accept going to, the less that return likely is.

Unless he actually asks out.. he isn't moving. He hasn't asked out...

1) I live in Boston actually... never even been to Edmonton - just repeating HF wisdom

2) Toronto would absolutely increase their revenues with McDavid. You don't think BMO and KPMG's biz dev team will pay more for their box with the opportunity to take clients to see "the worlds greatest" every night?

3) There isn't a single example of a player of McD's caliber not commanding top return, trade demand or not. Even a two team bidding war is a bidding war. Lindros brought a fortune. Gretzky brought a fortune. Even Pronger brought the equivalent of 4 firsts and a 2nd. A trade for McDavid will have the acquiring owner's handprints all over it... and see point 2. It's supply and demand and there is still only one McDavid (even when there is only one suitor... which I don't believe for an instant McD will be that prescriptive).

Cotton

May 13, 2013
McDavid is a small market kinda guy, he isn’t media savvy and avoids the limelight. He’s not going to be seeking out big hockey markets, let alone the biggest with the most media presence.

From Edmonton’s POV, if I had a McDavid for trade I’m circling Detroit and Buffalo as they both have giant D prospects who look fantastic.

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
To PHI:
Connor McDavid
Mikko Koskinen

To EDM:
Sean Couturier
Carter Hart
2022 1st Round Pick
2023 1st Round Pick
2024 2nd Round Pick

To VAN:
Connor McDavid
Mikko Koskinen

To EDM:
Elias Pettersson
Brock Boeser (With an extension in the 6 million range)
Thatcher Demko
2022 First Round Pick

Which one of these is closer to actual value? Just out of curiosity -- I don't care where McDavid ends up.

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
Not by much my friend. He is that good, and signed, and entering his prime. It would take this type of offer to move him. Fair value will not be enough.
It would take arguably a top 5 C in league locked up for the rest of his career, a top 5 LWer in the league, one of the most promising goalie prospects in the league AND a first round pick? That is WAY too much.

I agree fair value will not be enough to convince EDM to trade him but you basically traded the core of a dynasty to get him.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
greatest" every night?

3) There isn't a single example of a player of McD's caliber not commanding top return, trade demand or not. Even a two team bidding war is a bidding war. Lindros brought a fortune. Gretzky brought a fortune. Even Pronger brought the equivalent of 4 firsts and a 2nd. A trade for McDavid will have the acquiring owner's handprints all over it... and see point 2. It's supply and demand and there is still only one McDavid (even when there is only one suitor... which I don't believe for an instant McD will be that prescriptive).

Roy would be traded to the Colorado Avalanche, along with Mike Keane, for a laughable return that included Jocelyn Thibault, Martin Ručinský and Andrei Kovalenko.

Paul Coffey, the all-star defenseman who refused to report to the Edmonton Oilers because of a contract dispute, was sent to the Pittsburgh Penguins today in a seven-player trade in which the Oilers obtained Craig Simpson, a promising young forward.
The Oilers, the defending Stanley Cup champions, also acquired two veterans, Dave Hannan and Moe Mantha, and an 18-year-old defenseman, Chris Joseph. Along with Coffey, the Penguins received Dave Hunter and Wayne Van Dorp,

Brian Burke, Canucks GM at the time, let Bure sit at home rather than pay him and while Bure never officially requested a trade, it was clear he had no more intentions of playing in Vancouver. In January of 1999, Burke struck a deal with the Panthers, landing Ed Jovanovski and a first round pick.

Mike Peca was then shipped to the New York Islanders in 2002 for Tim Connolly and Taylor Pyatt.

Danny Heatley further handcuffed the Sens when he refused to waive his NTC for a move to Edmonton. Eventually the Sens worked out a deal with the Sharks, who sent Jonathan Cheechoo, Milan Michalek, a 2nd round pick and a 5th rounder.

Trouba -> Pionk + 20th OA

Eichel?

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
It would take arguably a top 5 C in league locked up for the rest of his career, a top 5 LWer in the league, one of the most promising goalie prospects in the league AND a first round pick? That is WAY too much.

I agree fair value will not be enough to convince EDM to trade him but you basically traded the core of a dynasty to get him.

Barkov is one of about 3 or 4 pieces in the league I think would get Edmontons attention, and rightfully. His contract status is a big part of that.

Huburdeau has one season left after this. He is going to want a ton of money. What happens there? Hes not a sure thing. Big piece none-the-less.

Knight became expendable the minute they handed Bobrovski that contract, and knight hasn't exactly tore it up yet. I do believe he is good and fits a huge need in EDM, which is why hes included.

A late first, in the grand scheme of a trade of this magnitude, its minute. 5 of 6 of these are traded a year for rentals.

It looks like a ton at first, but you're talking 6 years of the best player in the world, by far. Like, look at his stats.

PS: Core of "dynasty" that has yet to win a playoff series ???!!!- you cannot use that word to describe a team until its won multiple championships in a short period of time.

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
Barkov is one of about 3 or 4 pieces in the league I think would get Edmontons attention, and rightfully. His contract status is a big part of that.

Huburdeau has one season left after this. He is going to want a ton of money. What happens there? Hes not a sure thing. Big piece none-the-less.

Knight became expendable the minute they handed Bobrovski that contract, and knight hasn't exactly tore it up yet. I do believe he is good and fits a huge need in EDM, which is why hes included.

A late first, in the grand scheme of a trade of this magnitude, its minute. 5 of 6 of these are traded a year for rentals.

It looks like a ton at first, but you're talking 6 years of the best player in the world, by far. Like, look at his stats.

PS: Core of "dynasty" that has yet to win a playoff series ???!!!- you cannot use that word to describe a team until its won multiple championships in a short period of time.
I only meant that dynasties always have at least two stellar forwards and an elite goaltender. FWIW, I have Florida winning the cup this year.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
Matthews , Nylander , sandain , 1st

No way you trade the face of the NHL to the biggest market in hockey for cheep

Reactions: Ainsy01

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
Its shame the Olympics were cancelled because alot of people dont understand how good McDavid is. He gets 2-3 points a night and if you see his chances he could have 6-7 most nights. His line mates are Yamamoto and Perlini....

Him on team Canada would have broke records.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Its shame the Olympics were cancelled because alot of people dont understand how good McDavid is. He gets 2-3 points a night and if you see his chances he could have 6-7 most nights.

Him on team Canada would have broke records.
I hope people are not questioning how great he is. Its McDavid's value that makes him untradable

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
To PHI:
Connor McDavid
Mikko Koskinen

To EDM:
Sean Couturier
Carter Hart
2022 1st Round Pick
2023 1st Round Pick
2024 2nd Round Pick

To VAN:
Connor McDavid
Mikko Koskinen

To EDM:
Elias Pettersson
Brock Boeser (With an extension in the 6 million range)
Thatcher Demko
2022 First Round Pick

Which one of these is closer to actual value? Just out of curiosity -- I don't care where McDavid ends up.
Both suck lol

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
IF he is to be traded I suspect the return will seem a little underwhelming for a player of his stature.
Some of the asks in here are pretty hilarious.

Reactions: binop7

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Roy would be traded to the Colorado Avalanche, along with Mike Keane, for a laughable return that included Jocelyn Thibault, Martin Ručinský and Andrei Kovalenko.

Paul Coffey, the all-star defenseman who refused to report to the Edmonton Oilers because of a contract dispute, was sent to the Pittsburgh Penguins today in a seven-player trade in which the Oilers obtained Craig Simpson, a promising young forward.
The Oilers, the defending Stanley Cup champions, also acquired two veterans, Dave Hannan and Moe Mantha, and an 18-year-old defenseman, Chris Joseph. Along with Coffey, the Penguins received Dave Hunter and Wayne Van Dorp,

Brian Burke, Canucks GM at the time, let Bure sit at home rather than pay him and while Bure never officially requested a trade, it was clear he had no more intentions of playing in Vancouver. In January of 1999, Burke struck a deal with the Panthers, landing Ed Jovanovski and a first round pick.

Mike Peca was then shipped to the New York Islanders in 2002 for Tim Connolly and Taylor Pyatt.

Danny Heatley further handcuffed the Sens when he refused to waive his NTC for a move to Edmonton. Eventually the Sens worked out a deal with the Sharks, who sent Jonathan Cheechoo, Milan Michalek, a 2nd round pick and a 5th rounder.

Trouba -> Pionk + 20th OA

Eichel?

There are only two players on that list remotely comparable to McDavid and in both situations the GM had allowed it to escalate way past the point of no return.

I'm assuming here that McDavid will do the honorable thing and just tell Holland when he's had enough. It may leak, but that doesn't mean it would be widely known how few destinations McD has in mind (where again, you are assuming a very limited list... based on what?... I don't know)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad