Proposal: Mcdavid to Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
I normally never believe home town Boys will come back home to be a leaf when they hit ufa, but I truly believe McDavid will in this case. Its just a feeling and I could totally be wrong of course. Just a gut feeling.
After being in Edmonton if McD did want out he would want to go to a winner of an organization. TO ain't that

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I do think Marner is a competitive base.

I'd do something like Marner + Robertson + Sandin + 1st ...and wait for a team to make a better offer...which is possible.

Why would Marner be a competitive base? Walk us through the logic.

Let me help you:

McDavid historically scores at 1.42ppg and makes 12.5M. He's also a major draw & sells tickets/sponsorship by himself.

Marner historically scores at 1.00ppg and makes 10.9M

So we gain 1.6M in cap hit, but lose 40% in scoring. Walk me through how that measily extra 1.6M helps make our team better? Can we add a starting goalie with that? What about a shutdown defenseman?

IF, IF, IF... we were ever trading McDavid, it would have to be for another top-10 player in the game (Marner is not) who is on a cap-friendly deal so that we could improve our roster elsewhere enough that it would compensate for the loss of McDavid.... OR... it could be for a player as good as Marner, but who is on a much more team-friendly deal, so that... again... we could improve our roster elsewhere.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Pretty wishful thinking from you.

I have a question.

Why would McDavid want to go to the leafs when they haven’t even won a round in 20 years?

I get the home factor but wouldn’t he want to to go a real contender?

it looks like there going to play tb or panthers this year and I don’t think you’d have many non leaf fans say that they would win that series.

1.) who knows if he asks out. Or if he wants to go to Toronto. But this is the Toronto thread. There is nothing stopping you from making another thread.

2.) if he wants out. He picks his spot.

no agent would bring a formal trade request months before NMC.
It is shockingly unlikely you trade him without a request. That’s career suicide. you can’t be the guy who voluntarily traded him.

No team will trade massive assets for a player with full control just to have him ask out. Makes no sense.
Especially when he is owed a massive Sb.

if you trade before his NMC you are on the hook for his SB.

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Marner? Edmonton has no use for him.
there is zero premise for a McDavid trade to the Leafs, If they Leafs were to trade we would be worse than the Oilers
Also even the teams with a ton of youngsters like Ana or LA would be worse if they traded for McDavid.

I legit can't think of a single team that can pay for McDavid and come out a better team.

Reactions: thadd

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
As of July 1st, Connor has full control of where he's going, "if" he asks to go out. There won't be any bidding, it will simply be... I want to be traded to X... if he chooses. He can veto any trade he chooses.

If McDavid wants to stay in Edmonton, that is exactly what will happen.

If he wants to be moved, he will be able to dictate after July 1st, where he goes.

Unless he asks to be moved, there is zero point in a conversation, that just results in people getting mad. This should be locked, unless McDavid asks out.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
their 1st round picks more than make up the difference between marner and puj
I don't necessarily disagree its the fact that the cost of acquiring McDavid makes us a worse team, therefore I have zero interest.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
As of July 1st, Connor has full control of where he's going, "if" he asks to go out. There won't be any bidding, it will simply be... I want to be traded to X... if he chooses. He can veto any trade he chooses.

If he wants to be moved, he will be able to dictate after July 1st, where he goes.

Unless he asks to be moved, there is zero point in a conversation, that just results in people getting mad. This should be locked, unless McDavid asks out.
I honestly hope he doesn't ask to go to the Leafs, if he wants to come here, he will have to come as a UFA

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Why would Marner be a competitive base? Walk us through the logic.

Let me help you:

McDavid historically scores at 1.42ppg and makes 12.5M. He's also a major draw & sells tickets/sponsorship by himself.

Marner historically scores at 1.00ppg and makes 10.9M

So we gain 1.6M in cap hit, but lose 40% in scoring. Walk me through how that measily extra 1.6M helps make our team better? Can we add a starting goalie with that? What about a shutdown defenseman?

IF, IF, IF... we were ever trading McDavid, it would have to be for another top-10 player in the game (Marner is not) who is on a cap-friendly deal so that we could improve our roster elsewhere enough that it would compensate for the loss of McDavid.... OR... it could be for a player as good as Marner, but who is on a much more team-friendly deal, so that... again... we could improve our roster elsewhere.

The premise is trading McDavid because he is disgruntled. If he is not disgruntled he isn't getting traded.

So what are the top 10 players and what's the deal look like?

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
This isn't the 80's anymore.

If you want to aquire the best player in the game, its going to cost YOUR best player plus the difference between the two, which would be draft picks, players, prospects, prostitutes...

As someone who loves Austin Mathews, I know that it would take him, as well as another "tough pill to swallow" asset (no, marner is not that) to even get on the phone to the Oil.

So neither team would or should consider this. Its a different time now.

Blockbusters don't happen for a reason.

Reactions: Marner4Life

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
get real

there is no point, we are trying to add to the team not break even

yuck

no to moving Auston+++ for McDavid

no no interest

Oilers don't have a player in the Marner tier for a counter to make sense
unless its Matthews for Drai which I would not do as a Leafs fan.

I just puked in my mouth

Man I literally have ZERO interest in trading for Mcdavid
in 26-27 I expect him to come to Toronto as a UFA
Marner and Auston will resign in 24 and 25
I say keep our assets and wait a few yrs and get him for free
Lol another leafs homer alert. Apparently Matthews is almost equal to McDavid guys

GoLeafsGo96

Dec 26, 2010
Again - the world where "McDavid to the Leafs" in a trade makes sense is only a world where the Leafs flame out in round 1, trade Marner for futures somewhere, and parlay all futures + current futures for McDavid in a seperate transaction.

And that just isn't going to happen.

The Oilers would not want Matthews or Marner. Matthews would walk in two years and Marner in 3.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Lol another leafs homer alert. Apparently Matthews is almost equal to McDavid guys
I didn't think I needed to make it clear that its Mattehws++
point still stands that outside of highway robbery we end up a worse team by trading for McDavid

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
The premise is trading McDavid because he is disgruntled. If he is not disgruntled he isn't getting traded.

So what are the top 10 players and what's the deal look like?

I understand that, but even if he's disgruntled, we'd be offering him to 30 teams. And we would only accept deals that make sense... trading for a guy who is nowhere near as good and makes almost as much money means we can't add anything else to improve our roster in the trade... which means we get worse... which means we lose Draisaitl too.

So fundamentally... Marner is just a non-starter as a centerpiece. Good player, but makes too much money and thus limits the utility of the return.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016

Thats a good point, McDavid isn't stupid and knows that if a team trades for him they will a worse team. Why would he want to leave a team/city just to end up in the same situation.

I think the interesting part that warrants discussion is the question "is a McDavid trade even possible?"
can any team afford to spend the assets?
would any team be willing to spend the assets?
if the asks are whats expected I think the answer is no to both questions.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I understand that, but even if he's disgruntled, we'd be offering him to 30 teams. And we would only accept deals that make sense... trading for a guy who is nowhere near as good and makes almost as much money means we can't add anything else to improve our roster in the trade... which means we get worse... which means we lose Draisaitl too.

So fundamentally... Marner is just a non-starter as a centerpiece. Good player, but makes too much money and thus limits the utility of the return.
I can see 31 teams make an offer but the reality is most would be considered way too low.
McDavid is basically untradable due to his value being too high. Also he wants to win so he would veto any trade knowing that the team he is going to is basically going to be the same situation he is leaving after paying the price to get him.

Reactions: bucks_oil

Jun 27, 2005
All this talk about McDavid and Drai being traded is silly as they're not the problem.

This is the problem.

Hyman​
$5,500,000​
Barrie​
$4,500,000​
Ceci​
$3,250,000​
Keith​
$5,538,462​
Nurse​
$9,250,000​
Lucic​
$750,000​
Neal​
$1,916,667​
Sekara​
$1,590,000​
$32,295,129​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Holy hell that is brutal.

Reactions: GreeningOil

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
If he were going to the Leafs -- which he is not -- Matthews would have to go the other way. Neither team does that.

Leafs dont trade Matthews for McDavid? You thought you could sneak that in there?

NastyUntriedInchworm-small.gif

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
I didn't think I needed to make it clear that its Mattehws++
point still stands that outside of highway robbery we end up a worse team by trading for McDavid

Of course I know it's matthews +. My point is your acting like matthews+ any good piece is a massive overpay by the leafs.

Even hypothetically your not going to get mcdavid just for matthews+ 2nd.

Reactions: Deadly Dogma
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad