Proposal: Mcdavid to Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
I doubt McDavid is traded while Holland is GM. It makes more sense for the Oilers to gut their dcore and build around Nurse, Bouchard and retool their forward group some before moving the best player in the world. They also need a goalie but thats a given.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
There are only two players on that list remotely comparable to McDavid and in both situations the GM had allowed it to escalate way past the point of no return.

I'm assuming here that McDavid will do the honorable thing and just tell Holland when he's had enough. It may leak, but that doesn't mean it would be widely known how few destinations McD has in mind (where again, you are assuming a very limited list... based on what?... I don't know)

If McDavid asks for a trade (doubtful), it's escalated way past the point of no return.

Why based on limited list? because he has the right to dictate where he wants to go, and he's not going to accept a trade to anywhere... There is a history of this...

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Only way the Oilers would ever trade McDavid to Toronto was if he requested a trade and said I'm only going to like 3 different markets with Toronto being one of them. The fans would probably revolt just for trading him, trading him to Toronto may get the new building burnt down.

Reactions: Ciao

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
I never said they were good. I asked which one was better.
Hahaha no disrespect to you! I am in the opinion that if we’re going to trade the 3rd most impressive player of all time (definitely arguable) that we require a kings ransom and then some. Vancouvers players don’t do it for me and Philly’s are less interesting yet lol

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
If McDavid asks for a trade (doubtful), it's escalated way past the point of no return.

Why based on limited list? because he has the right to dictate where he wants to go, and he's not going to accept a trade to anywhere... There is a history of this...

1) Plenty of players ask for a trade long before they storm out on their team, take grievances to the media, sit out in Russia, accuse their team of mismanaging their health, etc, etc, etc.

2) In any given year there are 8 contenders, and if you postulating he'd reject a move to a contender... well, I dunno. I guess I'll have to concede, you must know McDavid better than me. Perhaps you are right, he'll ask out of Edmonton because of the weather, not because his GM has failed to build a competitive team around him... no inconsistent logic there.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
You're not paying attention.

I'm not suggesting Matthews for McDavid straight up. I'm just saying that if McDavid goes to Toronto, then Matthews is going to Edmonton.

McDavid is the best player in the National Hockey League, and I can't think of any one player that Edmonton would accept on a one-for-one.

Off the top of my head, I really can't think of any package of players Edmonton would accept that would be remotely realistic for the other team – provided only that McDavid is not forcing the trade. For example, McKinnon and Makar; Hedman, Vasilevski and Point; or Fox, Shesterkin and Lafreniere might do the trick for Edmonton, but it's even more absurd to think that any of Colorado, Tampa or New York would even discuss those packages.

For that matter, I don't even think Matthews and Marner together would be enough from Toronto, and I can't possibly imagine the Leafs offering that or whatever it takes to land McDavid.

Unless McDavid forces one, he's too big a fish to trade. If the packages are enough to satisfy Edmonton, it can't possibly work for the other side.

Mind you, everything changes if McDavid should decide that he wants out.

Ok, good. Your wording in original post was terrible. Just wanted to make sure. No one in the universe would ever pick Matthews over McDavid.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Huberdeau, Barkov, Knight and a 1st round pick is the only offer I think in the league that would be a 4 asset package that could get the oilers even thinkin about it. Maybe something out of Colorado.
If I were the GM of Oilers I would make that trade in a nano second. There is no doubt in my mind Holland would as well. Florida on the other hand……

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
2) In any given year there are 8 contenders, and if you postulating he'd reject a move to a contender... well, I dunno. I guess I'll have to concede, you must know McDavid better than me. Perhaps you are right, he'll ask out of Edmonton because of the weather, not because his GM has failed to build a competitive team around him... no inconsistent logic there.

Taking the top 13 teams in the NHL right now.. I know, random, but at least it eliminates the argument as to which ones are contenders.

A combination of the Cap, and NMC/NTC makes deals pretty hard. Most teams are close to the cap, and having to move out top D, even for a McDavid would cripple many teams... when you look at the contracts, and NMC/NTC, it eliminates a bunch of teams.

Most of the contenders high dollar contracts, come with NMC's. Boston for example, really could only move McAvoy out of their high $ contracts... and then they'd have no D, and no cap to build a D.
Other teams in the same spot, NYR, Pitts, Florida, Washington, Vegas have NMC that could veto. St Louis, Carolina would end up having to move D, and it just wouldn't work. Tampa's cap wouldn't allow it.

Teams that could.. Colorado (Rantanen), , Minnesota (Kaprizov), Nashville (Duchene or Johansen), Who knows whether McDavid would call those desirable destinations, or if they'd have interest. I'm not sure Nashville's best package including Duchene or Johansen is of interest anyway.

It's a small number, even if McDavid is open.

Reactions: bucks_oil

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
If I were the GM of Oilers I would make that trade in a nano second. There is no doubt in my mind Holland would as well. Florida on the other hand……

I think the face value would be enough to keep him on the phone for a very long time, and who knows, maybe Edmonton adds an asset or Florida subtracts the first, but once you break it down -

Barkov is the main part of the deal, he is an elite centre in the league but not in the same tier as Mcdavid. He is one of about 3 or 4 pieces in the league I think would get Edmontons attention, and rightfully so. His contract status is a big part of that.

Huburdeau - has one season left after this. He is going to want a ton of money. What happens there? Hes not a sure thing. If hes signed to 5 more years than yes this is lopsided at this point. Big piece none-the-less.

Knight became expendable the minute they handed Bobrovski that contract, and knight hasn't exactly tore it up yet. I do believe he is good and fits a huge need in EDM, which is why hes included.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Ah yes, this solves Toronto's long standing problem of too much defense and not enough offense.
That the problem where the big boys never scored in the playoffs the last few years? They let in 14 goals in 7 games last year. Similar the year before

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Two things about this idea:

1. Toronto Maple Leaf fans will have to come to grips with the idea McDavid will never, ever play there. It will never happen.

2. The Leafs don't NEED McDavid. They are one of the few teams that don't. They should focus on getting defense on par with a team like Carolina. Then the cup might truly come back after a long absence to Toronto.

Focus on D. That is the only thing missing from your team IMHO.

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
Hahaha no disrespect to you! I am in the opinion that if we’re going to trade the 3rd most impressive player of all time (definitely arguable) that we require a kings ransom and then some. Vancouvers players don’t do it for me and Philly’s are less interesting yet lol
It's so much better when you provide constructive feedback. Does a kings ransom mean high end players presently, high end prospects, picks, or some combination of those? I made those proposals up under the assumption that Edmonton would still want to compete, so I gave them high quality pieces now. For example, would you prefer a high end C prospect like Lundell (+ a pick to even out value) or a player like Pettersson?

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
It's so much better when you provide constructive feedback. Does a kings ransom mean high end players presently, high end prospects, picks, or some combination of those? I made those proposals up under the assumption that Edmonton would still want to compete, so I gave them high quality pieces now. For example, would you prefer a high end C prospect like Lundell (+ a pick to even out value) or a player like Pettersson?

I don't see the Kings or the Canucks as viable destinations for McDavid. Divisional rivals? Nope. If a big trade is made by Edmonton it would be with some team out east. That is my guess anyway.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
You can't have Marner as the main piece in a McDavid Trade lol

Matthews would obviously go the other way, and you add on top of him

Reactions: nturn06

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
My estimate is not constructive. There is not a combination of players I would like from either team. Van city has decent players and Demko would be enticing but not for McDavid

patriotfan

Jun 8, 2014
Nope, try again. Absolutely brutal.
as a leafs fan i very doubt that mcdavid goes anywhere but if he was available i think he would love to be a leaf, so if i am dubas i offer up mathews and nylander for him what do you guys think seems pretty fair and will through win a few hockey sticks and a mrazek.....what you think oil fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad