Player Discussion Matt Rempe - See Mod Note Post 769

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site

I hope this isn't the only lesson he's taking this summer. Kid needs tons of core work, skating, and more fighting lessons. I feel like if he got more of these from other fighters, he'd learn a lot of different styles and tactics. Like would love him to get a lesson from John Scott just to talk out big man strategies. But please, Matt, get some skating lessons. You got knocked down too easily during the playoffs. Be both the unstoppable force and the immovable object.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I hope this isn't the only lesson he's taking this summer. Kid needs tons of core work, skating, and more fighting lessons. I feel like if he got more of these from other fighters, he'd learn a lot of different styles and tactics. Like would love him to get a lesson from John Scott just to talk out big man strategies. But please, Matt, get some skating lessons. You got knocked down too easily during the playoffs. Be both the unstoppable force and the immovable object.
Above all, he needs to keep his skating up. And then some individual coaching for tactics and whatnot. I want Laviolette to be able to play him the entire game. Not in pinch, but the entire game. That's one of his projects for next season.

All I want from him in the 4th line is the ability to skate and hit. That's enough for a 4th liner in the NHL. If you are a heavyweight fighter on top of that.... nice.

Reactions: egelband

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Above all, he needs to keep his skating up. And then some individual coaching for tactics and whatnot. I want Laviolette to be able to play him the entire game. Not in pinch, but the entire game. That's one of his projects for next season.

All I want from him in the 4th line is the ability to skate and hit. That's enough for a 4th liner in the NHL. If you are a heavyweight fighter on top of that.... nice.
Michael Peca, 2 time Selke winner. Turn him into a PK magician ploos.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

One of the things about Laraque--I've watched video of him talking about it before. He didn't do all that much as far as boxing training during the offseason. He worked on core strength and balance. He thought of it in the way that he wanted to be able to manhandle/overpower anyone he came to grips with and once he freed a hand he'd just go to work. He's a good one to learn from but John Scott would be for Rempe as well as if there's one thing that Scott did well was use his reach in a fight. Scott actually interviewed Laraque a year or so ago and Georges explained his offseason routine and I remember Scott asking him if there was one guy he thought ducked him and he told him Zdeno Chara. Him and Chara went twice in the same game and he said it was the same both times Chara throws one punch---grabs hold of him and takes him to the ice. The first time he said okay, maybe he lost his balance but the second time it happened it was WTF!--this guy just doesn't really want to fight me. He just wants to look that way.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Hes not gonna dangle anybody but he's got good enough hands to put a few pucks in. If he can build that core strength, and figure out how to turn quicker than an aircraft carrier, he will be a very valuable and unique player in today's league. He actually has good straight away speed. His strides look slow and lumbering but his strides are so long.

I'm thinking his ceiling is a 4C who can hold his own defensively, pitch in a few goals, and maybe be a net-front menace on pp2. His floor is a 13F who is a menace and can get inside players heads. Not bad for a 6th round pick. At the very least, he has trade value

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Hes not gonna dangle anybody but he's got good enough hands to put a few pucks in. If he can build that core strength, and figure out how to turn quicker than an aircraft carrier, he will be a very valuable and unique player in today's league. He actually has good straight away speed. His strides look slow and lumbering but his strides are so long.

I'm thinking his ceiling is a 4C who can hold his own defensively, pitch in a few goals, and maybe be a net-front menace on pp2. His floor is a 13F who is a menace and can get inside players heads. Not bad for a 6th round pick. At the very least, he has trade value
I wonder whether the plan is to mold him into a center or winger, IIRC he said he’s actually never played wing at any level before the NHL. Just looking at his game though he does seem well suited for the wing with his speed & size on the forecheck, I don’t think you get as many opportunities to lay hits as a center. He also seems to be great at faceoffs.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Yea the lack of hands in terms of puck carrying doesn't really bother me at all. I'd rather he chip the puck in and go after it en route to smashing someone or at least being a threat to smash someone anyway. I can't imagine that any D is going to be thrilled about the prospect of him bearing down on them and a well timed forced turnover is just as good, if not better than a controlled entry.

I don't really even care about the offense. Someone who can defend (and I don't think he needs to be serviceable here, I think he needs to be legit good), own the walls (not get knocked over by a stiff wind), PK (not have the slowest/widest turns in the history of the sport) and bring the rest of the shenanigans that come with how he plays is valuable. He just has a very long way to get there.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
I don't really even care about the offense. Someone who can defend (and I don't think he needs to be serviceable here, I think he needs to be legit good), own the walls (not get knocked over by a stiff wind), PK (not have the slowest/widest turns in the history of the sport) and bring the rest of the shenanigans that come with how he plays is valuable. He just has a very long way to get there.
I think he’ll improve a lot as he continues to fill out but it will still be in a 4th line role. He has really good speed obviously, he pivots well in all directions, the turns will improve but at that height probably will never look that great. (You took my sundial line I used for Ross Johnston after the preseason scrap lol. His turns are worse)

Chara needed a lot of work at 20-21 but filled out and became a star. Rempe can be a high end 4th liner which is great for a 6th rounder. I like the idea of working him into the PK rotation, hopefully with Edstrom

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
He has to figure out how to hit in a way that will scare players but won't lead to penalties. It's just so hard. He's too tall to his and that is his one shtick. Rather be 6'3 and tough and run players than 6'8.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I wonder whether the plan is to mold him into a center or winger, IIRC he said he’s actually never played wing at any level before the NHL. Just looking at his game though he does seem well suited for the wing with his speed & size on the forecheck, I don’t think you get as many opportunities to lay hits as a center. He also seems to be great at faceoffs.
If he can play center, take faceoffs, and PK, that adds to the value of having him in the lineup considerably.

He's not slow but he is really awkward. If he can work on the finer points of skating, he'll be a quality NHL player.

The good thing is, if you're slow, you're just slow, but technique can be worked on

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
With very tall guys it's often growing more and more into their bodies that comes as they get older. It's how it happened for Chara who was an awkward skater at least for some his early time with the Islanders. It can be a combination of working on the skating technique, the natural growth and strengthening the body goes through as player moves towards his mid 20's. This next year isn't a be all or end all for Rempe. I expect some improvement but I wouldn't expect the skating issues to go away overnight or even over the off season. Like most younger players he's a workin progress but because of his size his skating is more of a work in progress for him than it is for most. Again though he can move and he has some lateral mobility. He's going to get bigger and stronger. Not sure that Edstrom will. He'll be 24 this year so he might have peaked but I can easily see a 25 year old Rempe playing at 260 lbs or even heavier and being a much better skater than he is now.

Also he's probably going to be suspended or tossed out of games now and again just from running over people. He'll need to keep away from the really egregious stuff like when he clocked Siegenthaler with the elbow. Rangers fans are going to have to learn to live with the ire it raises with other fan bases. To listen to some of them you would have to think that at one time Chris Kreider and for the past few years Jacob Trouba were versions of Matt Cooke or Raffi Torres.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
He has to figure out how to hit in a way that will scare players but won't lead to penalties. It's just so hard. He's too tall to his and that is his one shtick. Rather be 6'3 and tough and run players than 6'8.
Honestly, maybe the most effective route, and it happened a couple of times last season, is him JUST missing the defender and slamming into the boards with a big "bang" that echos through the garden. Especially if it's on the stick side and accomplishes the separation of defender and puck.

Sometimes the scary thought of "I just missed being trucked by this guy" is still pretty effective to get defenders thinking and will help keep Rempe out of the box.

Reactions: bhamill and Tob

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Honestly, maybe the most effective route, and it happened a couple of times last season, is him JUST missing the defender and slamming into the boards with a big "bang" that echos through the garden. Especially if it's on the stick side and accomplishes the separation of defender and puck.

Sometimes the scary thought of "I just missed being trucked by this guy" is still pretty effective to get defenders thinking and will help keep Rempe out of the box.

or do the opposite and just kill a guy and get suspended for 10 games and defenders will flinch and panic when he's on the ice for the rest of the season.

• Love
Reactions: JCProdigy

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
Yes, train to run the shit out of the devils again next year. Buy a whole pig and put a devils jersey on it and hang it center ice and practice Bastianing it
Good lord man you're going to trigger the debbies fans: "Some one's going to die out there, die, wahhhhh!!!!!!" I'll never forget hearing some overly emotional debbie screaming that over and over in a hockey podcast after Rempe knocked them around a bit. I was driving and just couldn't stop laughing.

Reactions: Tob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad