Player Discussion Matt Rempe - See Mod Note Post 769

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
he might've played his best games as an NHL'er in this series. his stick in the defensive zone and his board work have exponentially improved in a very short period of time. don't care that he's not killing anyone tbh, i'd rather he be cautious against this team while he still learns to hit at the NHL level.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I am REALLY hoping that the team gives Edstrom a legit shot at 4LW and a PK spot next year. He needs to grow into that role

Rangers like Edstrom. He didnt play in HFD for the playoffs because the Rangers called him up as a black ace. That's telling. A 4th line of Rempe-Goodrow-Edstrom is very much on the table next year imo.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Rangers like Edstrom. He didnt play in HFD for the playoffs because the Rangers called him up as a black ace. That's telling. A 4th line of Rempe-Goodrow-Edstrom is very much on the table next year imo.
Had Edstrom not been injured he would have been up with the Rangers. Those 3 guys playing together regularly have so much potential.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

Rempe needs to train with something more akin to a hockey skills coach and not an MMA coach.

The fact that his shows up as a relevant blip on the radar for skating acceleration means he's worthwhile as salvage for "redeemable hockey player who deserves more than 5 min a night" The toughness is an accessory to usefulness.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Rempe needs to train with something more akin to a hockey skills coach and not an MMA coach.

The fact that his shows up as a relevant blip on the radar for skating acceleration means he's worthwhile as salvage for "redeemable hockey player who deserves more than 5 min a night" The toughness is an accessory to usefulness.
I think he should work on both his game skills and his fighting (defense/balance). I think they are both part of him as a player at this point in his career. If he continues fighting without improving his balance and defense that could shorten his career.

Reactions: eco's bones

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I think he should work on both his game skills and his fighting (defense/balance). I think they are both part of him as a player at this point in his career. If he continues fighting without improving his balance and defense that could shorten his career.
All players should know how to defend themselves or have good balance to prevent injury. But I think that's part of normal NHL-onboarding.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Rempe has a bunch of things he should work on. Improving his balance is one......he's going to fight so he should learn how to defend better. Mathieu Olivier---a much shorter player kicked the shit out of him because he decided he would just slug it out and Olivier got inside his reach. He hasn't won all his fights in the AHL either but his reach is an advantage over practically everyone if he wants to use it. John Scott has mentioned working with him and he was talking about a week which I would think would be very doable. He needs the hockey stuff too.....a week shouldn't hurt that much. If not Scott he was also talking to Darcy Hordichuk. Former tough guys love him.....if not Scott I think he could help from any number of sources.

If he wants 10-12 minutes a night though he's going to have to improve on his balance for sure. Do I expect he'll play 82 games next year? Actually I don't. For one thing I suspect he'll get suspended once or twice. He's also going to take penalties. Refs were giving him all kinds of minutes even for hits that were clean.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Rempe getting to be an everyday 4th liner capable of playing between 8-12 min a night is going to be an ongoing work in progress all season long.
It’s not just the hockey stuff either.
Yes needs to work on his skating/game, but right now, the way he played castrated in the playoffs isn’t helping the team, it’s handicapping them….
If you’re going to play the kid, you have to play him. Hes gotta be able to drop the mitts and cause havoc without looking over his shoulder at the bench for a thumbs up or thumbs down from the coaches…..
His reputation now hurts the team as well. We’ve already seen a bunch of phantom calls, guys fall by him, embellishing soft hits etc, that result in an opposing power play….
If you’re going to make him a regular, the PK better be automatic….. otherwise he’ll wind up being a 5 min a night guy and the other lines will be gassed from running on a short bench.
No one wants that….
as the playoffs went on, other teams knew Rempe was on a leash and used it to their advantage……
The guy is 6’8. Every time he lines someone up to drill them, his arms are going to be around the opposing players upper body/head……
It’s makes everything twice as difficult for him to do his job…..
I don’t get the NHL, they want physical play, but they make too many suspect call of a size discrepancy or the way an opposing play falls/throws his head back when there is nothing wrong with the actual hit……
Don’t get me wrong, Rempe def deserved some of what he got called on him… pre-suspension he even got away with a lot more the could have/should have been calls…..
( leaving his feet on the hit against Toronto being the most egregious).
Now he’s just a marked man. If you’re Lavi, you can’t depend on him not to get called in a close tie game or late holding a lead….
I hope he adjusts, but 4th line is going to be played by committee for most of the season most likely…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad