Player Discussion Matt Rempe - See Mod Note Post 769

Mugless

Aug 26, 2004
I wonder if Rempe will work out with John Scott in the offseason? Wouldn't mind him learning some of this:

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I think he would be better off spending his offseason working on actual hockey skills than a side show but that's just me.
I know we have opposing views on Rempe, but I'd say the main thing he should work on is putting on more muscle/weight, especially in his lower body. He's a very lanky kid still and his center of gravity is very high, which is why he can be thrown off balance somewhat easily. Working on this would also inadvertently help his fighting ability as he'd have much better balance. Players spend a lot of time doing whatever in the offseason, even Panarin does boxing. So I see nothing wrong with Rempe taking some lessons from former heavyweights in the offseason, but obviously that shouldn't be priority over working on his lower body strength & agility

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Matt's hockey skills are better than some people realize. His balance isn't good but he can skate and he does have some hands.
He needs Yoga and Pilates in the offseason. Period. Just get his balance right.

I know we have opposing views on Rempe, but I'd say the main thing he should work on is putting on more muscle/weight, especially in his lower body. He's a very lanky kid still and his center of gravity is very high, which is why he can be thrown off balance somewhat easily. Working on this would also inadvertently help his fighting ability as he'd have much better balance. Players spend a lot of time doing whatever in the offseason, even Panarin does boxing. So I see nothing wrong with Rempe taking some lessons from former heavyweights in the offseason, but obviously that shouldn't be priority over working on his lower body strength & agility

He needs to be doing strength training and Yoga/Pilates all summer.

Reactions: Captain Monglobster

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
I like Rempe too but if he's barely going to play isn't it better to use someone else? We essentially use 11 forwards.

How has Othmann looked in the AHL? Good stats.

His playstyle seems compatible with the playoffs.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I like Rempe too but if he's barely going to play isn't it better to use someone else? We essentially use 11 forwards.

How has Othmann looked in the AHL? Good stats.

His playstyle seems compatible with the playoffs.
You really don't wanna know how he's looked the last third of the season. I rather not speak poorly about the kid but he wasn't noticeable in the AHL playoffs ES.
Edstrom and Berard would be way more effective at this moment.

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

NYROrtsFan

Feb 1, 2007
Immediately after that game ended, Tkachuk and someone else immediately slashed and went after Rempe. If that doesnt make it clear about him being in their heads then I don't know what does.

Keep him in.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
What I remember John Scott offering to Rempe was a week......not all summer. There are a bunch of things he can work on but fighting smarter is something he absolutely should work at improving. There are guys capable or really rocking him like Olivier did and MacDermid is one. He needs to use his reach better.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
What I remember John Scott offering to Rempe was a week......not all summer. There are a bunch of things he can work on but fighting smarter is something he absolutely should work at improving. There are guys capable or really rocking him like Olivier did and MacDermid is one. He needs to use his reach better.

This. He still leads with his face a little too much and is used to getting by on reach. A player with great upper body strength who's good at punching up, and anyone with longer reach will give him trouble. He's used to being able to bear wrestle smaller opponents and punch down. The key for him having longevity in the league will be improving his technique.

As for his usage in the playoffs, he should generally be taking a regular 4th line shift. The penalty call on him was terrible and he didn't really see the ice much after that, but he was one of the better forechecking Rangers and has been most of the playoffs. That's something they need right now to force more play in the other end of the ice.

Reactions: eco's bones

Jack Hanson

Oct 5, 2023
The thing I love about Rempe is despite his badassness he has a legit youthful innocence to him. I mean, he says cute shit like Jiminy Crickets. I love him and he has a genuine spark he adds. He's also showing good hockey i.q. he rairly f***s up a pass and has a knack for being in the right place at the right time.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
This. He still leads with his face a little too much and is used to getting by on reach. A player with great upper body strength who's good at punching up, and anyone with longer reach will give him trouble. He's used to being able to bear wrestle smaller opponents and punch down. The key for him having longevity in the league will be improving his technique.

As for his usage in the playoffs, he should generally be taking a regular 4th line shift. The penalty call on him was terrible and he didn't really see the ice much after that, but he was one of the better forechecking Rangers and has been most of the playoffs. That's something they need right now to force more play in the other end of the ice.

He's a distraction for the other team. Trouba can be a distraction too. When either are on the ice you need to be aware of them if you don't want to get run over. The Panthers like to beat up on their opponents....they're not as used to opponents beating up on them or even the threat of it. It's a way a team can dictate the play.

Rempe is 21....he's still awkward and can be knocked or leveraged off his skates too easily. I get that some don't like the kind of game he plays....that he's somewhat clumsy and isn't great with the fancy or production stats. Hockey is not just a skills game.....it's a combat sport too. There are different ways of contributing. Rempe should become a better skater, better player, a better fighter, a heavier more physical player in the future. I'm also very intrigued by our other giants---Edstrom and Roobroeck and also big players like Chmelar and Mancini. I think all these guys are developing very well and I like this general direction.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I wonder if Rempe will work out with John Scott in the offseason? Wouldn't mind him learning some of this:

Not sure what he'd learn here. Have a strong left arm grip on your opponent and pair up with someone you can man-handle? There is no way you could ever lay a beat down like this one an NHL heavy weight like Reaves which is all Rempe has been fighting. Bolduc is a comparatively smaller guy at 6'1" < 200 lbs. I would not be surprised if Rempe could already do this to a small scrub like Bolduc.

tlk

hARry kane comeS homE
Jan 7, 2020
Yekaterinburg
1000008443.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad