Player Discussion Matt Rempe - See Mod Note Post 769

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Every legendary pugilist has offered himself to train Rempe. He's the golden child who seeks guidance to become the instrument of death that was selected to be. So just crowdsource the training and he gets the best of everyone.
8wqtnh.jpg

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
The most important things he needs to learn are how to not be knocked over so easily and become a useful hockey player. If he's just going to be a fighter, he's destined to have a short lifespan and unpleasant ending.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He didn't put up a lot of points but he also had very limited ice time. AFAIC he's made a lot of progress since his draft day and there's no reason to think with age and repetition he won't get better. He's an awkward skater with balance issues right now. Those issues should clear up a lot more as he gets older. He has speed and some lateral agility and seems to have a decent grasp of how to fit his game. I mean you don't always get points for creating havoc in front of the net but sometimes that can be a reason why a puck goes in the net. When he goes there he's a problem for other teams. It took Kreider a little longer to figure that out than Rempe. Cuylle is another---you want big and strong guys to use their size in constructive ways.

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
Nice to see Rempe finally putting his left arm on his opponent's left arm/shoulder instead of the chest. Of course, his opponents won't just sit there and let him punch like in the video above. They will be trying to get free of that hold.

His reach should be a major advantage. If he learns to tie up his opponents and prevent them from throwing rights, then he should crush most of them. Only southpaws and guys that can use their left well should give him any problems. Up until now, he had a lot of willing opponents because they knew they could hit him with a free right hand.

That said, as far as playing goes, he just needs to be smarter about the hits he gives. I don't mind a player crossing the line once in a blue moon, but the refs have it out for him already. He can't become a liability.

Reactions: Tob

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
John Scott interviewing Georges Laraque on what he was up to with Rempe in Edmonton. Scott is a bit salty at the start:

It sounds like they trained 5 hour x 3 days = 15 hours of fighting instruction covering a ton of topics (grip, balance, approach, nerves, positioning, different size opponents, avoiding hits, timing, how to take a hit, how to recover, tons of techniques, protecting smaller guys from getting inside, etc.)

George Laraque shouldn't need a resume review but did you know he ended Stu Grimson's career by Stu's admission. Additionally George claims to have never been concussed or knocked out in a fight.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It sounds like they trained 5 hour x 3 days = 15 hours of fighting instruction covering a ton of topics (grip, balance, approach, nerves, positioning, different size opponents, avoiding hits, timing, how to take a hit, how to recover, tons of techniques, protecting smaller guys from getting inside, etc.)

George Laraque shouldn't need a resume review but did you know he ended Stu Grimson's career by Stu's admission. Additionally George claims to have never been concussed or knocked out in a fight.

Scott interviewed Laraque not too long (like a year or two) ago. Laraque mentioned then how a lot of fighters back in his day trained in the off season like they were boxers. He told Scott that he instead worked every season on core strength and basically as he explains to Scott here a big part of his strategy was to get a good grip. There were a lot of really tough guys back when he played but he could outpower pretty much all of them. Basically for him it was get control of his opponent and then hit and he was almost always in the top 3 guys year after year after year.

The other guy they mention is Tyrel Bauer who is in the Jets organization. He and Rempe were on the Seattle WHL team at least 3 years together. He's a defenseman. That guy is more than a handful to fight too.

I like how Laraque assesses Rempe. He doesn't (or shouldn't) have to go looking for fights. They'll come to him because of the way he plays. Then it's about choosing. That said he's going to take penalties and we saw a number of times where the refs gave him penalties just for being bigger and stronger than someone he ran over. It's also important he work on other aspects of his game. He's young and he skates well enough where there is room for improvement in pretty much every direction.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Scott interviewed Laraque not too long (like a year or two) ago. Laraque mentioned then how a lot of fighters back in his day trained in the off season like they were boxers. He told Scott that he instead worked every season on core strength and basically as he explains to Scott here a big part of his strategy was to get a good grip. There were a lot of really tough guys back when he played but he could outpower pretty much all of them. Basically for him it was get control of his opponent and then hit and he was almost always in the top 3 guys year after year after year.

The other guy they mention is Tyrel Bauer who is in the Jets organization. He and Rempe were on the Seattle WHL team at least 3 years together. He's a defenseman. That guy is more than a handful to fight too.

I like how Laraque assesses Rempe. He doesn't (or shouldn't) have to go looking for fights. They'll come to him because of the way he plays. Then it's about choosing. That said he's going to take penalties and we saw a number of times where the refs gave him penalties just for being bigger and stronger than someone he ran over. It's also important he work on other aspects of his game. He's young and he skates well enough where there is room for improvement in pretty much every direction.
Who out there can teach the kid to hip check so we can get the league's first butt-to-head major for the primary point of contact?

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Exactly one player had 10+ 5v5 goals with <10 5v5 mins/game last year but yes, Matt Rempe, who has never scored at any level, is gonna start potting them left and right in a depth role this year

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I like Rempe quite a lot but he's going to be getting 4th line minutes and 15 goals is like top notch goal production for just about any 4th liner in the NHL so I would dial that expectation back. His most valuable asset is his forechecking physical play. Getting in on an opponents D and just hitting them. He can just run over players and that can be a major distraction for the other team. I would expect he'll get some goals just going to the opposition net. Now and again goals are going to go in off of him. The Rangers scored a few times just from him blocking out the sun when he steps in front of the opposition goaltender. 22 years old....he's got time on his side to get better at a lot of things. He's really just starting.

On Wilson---he seemed to me like the Caps best forward in the playoffs against us. He does lose the thread now and again but he's usually a real pain in the ass to play against. Maybe not the greatest producer on a 1st unit power play but he also seems a pretty good penalty kill guy. He brings a bunch of different things.

• Love
Reactions: LokiDog and bhamill

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Love Rempe but Probert had a 29 goal and 62 point season and scored 20 one more time. Not saying Rempe can't be a difference maker and he is awesome by the way. But Probert reborn..........those are som lofty goals....

Except you could have score 20+ during Probert’s career. Shit, I could have probably got close to 40 :laugh::laugh:

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
Anyone post the my post article of Laraque with rempe? Great read. Laraque seems to have taught him a lot in the fighting area and Laraque sounds very very excited to see him when he fights next year. Talks about how he taught him technique and how he skated with someone for an hour after his 90 min session with Laraque. He also said players play bigger and tougher with rempe in the lineup knowing that he has their backs. It’s a big plus since we don’t have forwards who can muck it up.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
For the Rangers i think Rempe can make a difference. If he focuses and works on his game he can be a handful on the forcheck. For the short period of time, where the team skated he and Edstrom together I felt like the Rangers 4th line actually had an identity.

Love that Laraque reached out to him. Even better that Rempe took him up on his offer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad